• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

Realignment decided - 4 Conferences

Rate this topic

What are you guys whining about? We'll dominate that division. Chicago is the only other powerhouse in our division.

We'll have to play them in the playoffs perenially. It'll heat the rivalry up even more.

It's not as good as just moving the Wings to the East but it is MUCH better than what we have now. Only 1 trip to Western Canada and 1 to the California. And in the playoffs we play the first 2 rounds in our time zone or the Central time zone. No flights to California in the first two rounds.

We also see Montreal, Toronto and Boston for a home and home every year. I would prefer to play them more but as I said, it's a big improvement over what we have now.

I agree. People are forgetting the bolded part as well. It's a good deal.

I just don't get in what world having two seven-team conferences and two eight-team conferences and taking four teams to the playoffs from each one is fair. Then again I guess money overrides such concerns. It's just hilarious when both 7-team conferences are eastern despite there being more teams in the eastern timezones...

That's why all those Eastern teams voted for it.

I must be on something, but I love this change. The return of INTENSE rivalries and divisional hatred will be astounding given the amount of times you'll see the same teams during the regular season and in the first and second round. Plus, the chance to play teams like the Canucks and Sharks in the Stanley Cup finals. Finally, the improved travel schedule should provide the wings the extra juice they need when making a deep run in the playoffs. Bravo Bettman, one of the few good things you've done.

And LMAO at the Wings being one of the teams that voted against this, they basically got exactly what they were looking for, a dramatically improved travel schedule.

Neg away...

What are you guys whining about? We'll dominate that division. Chicago is the only other powerhouse in our division.

We'll have to play them in the playoffs perenially. It'll heat the rivalry up even more.

I think the problem most of us have is that this was a cop-out answer for the NHL. They simply split the conferences.....

If things were like they should be (i.e. a Columbus franchise didn't exist), we would be in the East. Pure and simple.

What Bettman wants Bettman gets. We all should have seen this coming.

I guess nothing really changes for Detroit except that the first two rounds will likely be boring as all get out from here on out. I really wanted to move East, but I guess it's hard to argue that when Columbus is farther east than us.

Too bad, as the Western Conference Finals are usually better than the Cup Finals. Would have liked to play a Western team for the Cup.

EDIT: And copping out is what is done nowadays, not just with the NHL. With politics, business, everything. The option that requires more thinking or work, no matter how much better it is, will never be adopted.

Edited by VM1138

What Bettman wants Bettman gets. We all should have seen this coming.

I guess nothing really changes for Detroit except that the first two rounds will likely be boring as all get out from here on out. I really wanted to move East, but I guess it's hard to argue that when Columbus is farther east than us.

Too bad, as the Western Conference Finals are usually better than the Cup Finals. Would have liked to play a Western team for the Cup.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, playing against the Hawks will be boring around here.

I must be on something, but I love this change. The return of INTENSE rivalries and divisional hatred will be astounding given the amount of times you'll see the same teams during the regular season and in the first and second round. Plus, the chance to play teams like the Canucks and Sharks in the Stanley Cup finals. Finally, the improved travel schedule should provide the wings the extra juice they need when making a deep run in the playoffs. Bravo Bettman, one of the few good things you've done.

And LMAO at the Wings being one of the teams that voted against this, they basically got exactly what they were looking for, a dramatically improved travel schedule.

Neg away...

Yeah, it's exciting for the rest of the league, but Detroit gets stuck with the reject teams. That's why they voted against it. It's like a Harvard grad being forced to ride on the short bus.

I think the problem most of us have is that this was a cop-out answer for the NHL. They simply split the conferences.....

If things were like they should be (i.e. a Columbus franchise didn't exist), we would be in the East. Pure and simple.

The cop out woulda been just to swap Detroit and Winnipeg. Drastically realigning the entire NHL was the hardest thing for them to do.

Yeah, it's exciting for the rest of the league, but Detroit gets stuck with the reject teams. That's why they voted against it. It's like a Harvard grad being forced to ride on the short bus.

Would you rather have us in a division with the Hawks, Pens and Bruins or something?

And those reject teams are who we're playing against now.

So does anyone know for a fact how the third round seeding will happen? If it's regular season points it'll mean we can play against for example SJ / Van in the Cup finals, which would be pretty nice. If it's west vs. west and east vs. east I'll be a lot less excited.

But yeah I guess I have to agree this is a good change overall for us, with my timezone I welcome any change that means less late games.

It's better than now, but I wouldn't call it good. The Wings could easily play those Eastern teams six times instead of two. It seems like the East got catered to because they made the concession of having to actually travel at all in this new format.

The cop out woulda been just to swap Detroit and Winnipeg. Drastically realigning the entire NHL was the hardest thing for them to do.

If it was so difficult, how come it only took an hour to pass?

Also wondering who the 4 teams out of the 30 who opposed the realignment?

I'm gonna come out and say it that I am young and don't have recollection of the different playoff system, only have read about it. Just appears to be many pros and cons. Like most, resistant to change, but going to wait a few years (and savor this year's playoffs) before I knock it. However, the idea of a Red Wings - Avalanche or Lightning - Hurricanes Cup Final just doesn't sound right to me.

Let's see, the Wings wanted less travel out west especially during the playoffs & more games with traditional rivals in the east. And with this realignment they get....less travel out west & more games with traditional rivals in the east. How did the Wings get screwed with this move?

And from the reports I heard, the reason the 2 eastern conferences have 7 teams each & a better percentage chance to make the playoffs is to get those owners to buy off on the additional costs & travel time of now having more games out west under the new alignment. And for any complaints about teams missing the playoffs out west with more points than teams in the east, how is that any different than now?

Teams ebb and flow; Islanders used to be a great franchise, now they suck...Chicago was horrid, now they are great. Minnesota is actually playing very well this year. Nashville is always competitive, the Chicago games will be a blast...and like someone else pointed out, we are playing these teams a bunch in the current format anyway. It accomplishes what it set to accomplish, reduce travel, with the exception of the Florida teams.

Would you rather have us in a division with the Hawks, Pens and Bruins or something?

And those reject teams are who we're playing against now.

Plus Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg.

That's my point. Technically, travel wise the Wings made out okay. But other than the Hawks, none of those teams are consistently good. Which means each and every year we will play the Hawks and the other round will rotate. Nothing changes. I think a lot of us wanted to see Original 6 matchups with real rivalries instead of the fake rivalries we've been fed for years.

Not a terrible realignment, just not really all that different for the Wings other than some shorter travel.

Per McKenzie, it appears the entire deal needs NHLPA approval (I don't see why they wouldn't approve) and the 3rd round and beyond playoff system is not set in stone, something the GM's will determine.

My link

I still think the easiest thing was to move Nashville to the South West, then move Dallas to the Central, Colorado to the Pacific, and Winnipeg to the North West.

I don't know if I'm for or against these new Conferences. I do think the NHL wussed out. Instead of telling the Wings they're better in the West, they did a big change not to make them mad.

Edited by Barrie

Fail. So we get 38 games of s***ty divisional hockey vs Columbus and Minnesota but only get to see Toronto Montreal Boston Rangers Avs Ducks Sharks and Nucks twice each? Sorry, right now this blows...

LMFAO there's 16 teams eastern timenzoned teams and only 14 made the cut. I hate you for ruining my game Gary!

Yes, Detroit might of done okay, but how in a million years you take two franchises and screw them (Fla, TB) just to get the Capitals in the Atlantic is a complete joke. Yea we got out okay, but I would have rather been in the north east with Montreal Toronto buffalo and Boston and such