• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

Realignment decided - 4 Conferences

Rate this topic

It basically sounds like they didn't even talk to the players union while negotiating this. While they may not have an official vote, it's a stupid move and sets a divisive tone heading into the new CBA negotiations by not making the players feel included. Bettman's disdain for the NHLPA is palpable.

Overall, I like it a lot.

The stars are back in a division with the Blues, Wings and Hawks...just like the Norris days.

I'm happy Detroit didn't go to the East (sorry)...I like the games between the Blues and Wings.

It's fun to hate you guys. ;) And we owe you big time...you can't run to the east before we get some revenge for over a decade of dominance.

16 years of dominance, to be specific. :ph34r:

For those who don't like the playoffs the way they will be next year, you're nuts. It's far better than seeding 1-8 in the conference.

The playoff format is the way it should be now. 1st vs. 4th, 2nd vs. 3rd in each division and then the winners play each other in round 2.

That's the way it used to be, and it was much better. Rivalries are heightened and more intense when you face similar teams in the playoffs more often, and you are guaranteed to face a division team in the first two rounds. Awesome. :clap:

Not sure a Blues fan should be given any authority to talk about the playoffs :yowza: (sorry, couldn't resist)

It basically sounds like they didn't even talk to the players union while negotiating this. While they may not have an official vote, it's a stupid move and sets a divisive tone heading into the new CBA negotiations by not making the players feel included. Bettman's disdain for the NHLPA is palpable.

I understand the unnecessary divisiveness, but why exactly should the NHLPA have been consulted about this? It only affects the players in a really, really roundabout and indirect way.

I don't see why they would have to get the players' consent. The League (as in the GM's of the teams) has decided this on the basis of what is best for the teams. The NHLPA is about what is good for the players as individuals.

You would think that the players and their GM would want pretty much the same things with regards to what is best for the team, although there will be differing ideas amongst individuals no matter how you slice it.

They definitely should talk about it, but ideally the time for that would have been before the GM meeting. Each GM should have talked to players, coaches, owners, and all involved before going.

There is a direct chain of distrust-

Players/fans hesitate to trust--->general managers/owners because they form--->the League which is led by--->Bettman who looks like the bastard offspring of--->Count von Count and Peewee Herman.

No realignment will be perfect, and someone will always get the short end of the stick. I think this is almost as good as it gets for teams in states/provinces that have capitals with fewer than three sets of repeating letters.

I understand the unnecessary divisiveness, but why exactly should the NHLPA have been consulted about this? It only affects the players in a really, really roundabout and indirect way.

I don't think it's that indirect or roundabout. Think about how much we as fans care about this realignment. You don't think professional hockey players care as much or more? It affects what teams they play, playoff chances, amount they'll be traveling and away from home. Not to mention they are probably at least as passionate about the game and its history as we are.

I don't think the NHL was required to consult the NHLPA but Bettman seems to forget that they players are the reason we all pay money to watch games. Hockey is ultimately entertainment and the players are the stars, not the GM's, and certainly not him. It's hard to imagine any other form of entertainment where they would make a massive decision like this without at least consulting and working with the talent.

I'm not surprised we got hosed. Face it, the former Western conference, or whatever the hell conference we're in now, needs a big name team, and that's us. No way they were going to let the team jump ship. While our travel becomes moderately easier (which means less staying up until the witching hour for us fans).....it's not everything I had hoped for.

Oh well. Like it or lump it, as they say.

Less travel, playing every team at least twice. Good.

Selfishly not having to stay up late as much to watch games. Good. Even with those late games coming on an hour earlier where I am from at 9:00 or 9:30, it is still hard to stay fully up for them as I'm pretty much used to routine before work during the week and am awake pretty much every morning around 4:00am.

I am happy. Would've loved a full switch to what would've been the Eastern Conference or playing them more than just twice, but what can ya do, I think less travel was priority #1.

EDIT: Biggest losers in this are Tampa Bay and Florida with more travel and not possibly being molded into a confernece with Carolina or Nashville (I know conferneces would have to be radically shuffled again for this to happen - just generally spaeaking), for example.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan