• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Dan Carcillo Comments on David Backes

Rate this topic

My link

Carcillo better answer the bell the next time Chicago plays the Blues. He's got a good point though, Backes is a huge spotpicker.

Carcillo called out a few members of the Canucks shortly after he signed with Chicago this summer, and to his credit, he did answer the bell when the Hawks played the Canucks. He was right in the middle of everything, and ultimately got into a (short)scrap with Aaron Volpatti.

Backes has fought some fighters, but he has too many non-fighters on his list.

That's why people call him a spotpicker. Same thing with Lucic.

So a spotpicker is someone who likes to take fights with non-fighters too much of the time? Huh.

I thought a spotpicker, or at least part of being a spotpicker, is say Backes, or a top six capable fighter and power forward in general, turning down a fight with a pure enforcer because he'd rather be on the ice or because his team needs him to be on the ice?

Edited by Red Wings Addict

So a spotpicker is someone who likes to take fights with non-fighters too much of the time? Huh.

I thought a spotpicker, or at least part of being a spotpicker, is say Backes, or a top six capable fighter and power forward in general, turning down a fight with a pure enforcer because he'd rather be on the ice or because his team needs him to be on the ice?

Well, if he fights lots of non-fighters and turns down fights with tougher guys, then yes, he is a spotpicker.

Basically, he picks his spots.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Well, if he fights lots of non-fighters and turns down fights with tougher guys, then yes, he is a spotpicker.

Basically, he picks his spots.

But doesn't a guy like Backes, a top-six forward, a guy who plays a lot of minutes, kind of have to pick his spots a little? If wins are what's most important, then you don't want waste your team with a s***head like Tootoo and be in the box for 5 minutes when the team needs you out there for 20 minutes a game.

I suppose if the team has the win in the bag with say 5-7 minutes left in the 3rd then a guy like Backes can challenge a fighter at that point but it seems like the league is too close and competitive for that scenario.

But doesn't a guy like Backes, a top-six forward, a guy who plays a lot of minutes, kind of have to pick his spots a little? If wins are what's most important, then you don't want waste your team with a s***head like Tootoo and be in the box for 5 minutes when the team needs you out there for 20 minutes a game.

I suppose if the team has the win in the bag with say 5-7 minutes left in the 3rd then a guy like Backes can challenge a fighter at that point but it seems like the league is too close and competitive for that scenario.

I think you are looking at it in the wrong context. I believe most people understand (some what)why he is a spotpicker. He is a bigger value to his team than just some average goon, but it still doesn't change the fact that he is.

Yeah, but what does fighting a non-fighter prove?

It's just a s***ty move, and he deserves to be called out for it.

I think you are looking at it in the wrong context. I believe most people understand (some what)why he is a spotpicker. He is a bigger value to his team than just some average goon, but it still doesn't change the fact that he is.

Pretty much. Like calling a spade a spade. Like I said, going after guys like Toews is just a ***** move. I know they're both top line players, but come on.

Edited by GMRwings1983

He can fight against crappy 4th line, little agitators like Burish, or guys like Brian Bickell but never mans up ti fight anyone even close to who he should be fighting.

A guy who plays on the edge like him has been in plenty of blowout games and done cheap things at the end where fighting some goon would have no real impact on the score and he doesnt.

Instead he fights guys like Fedor Tyutin and Horcoff.

People dont like Carcillo but he goes with pretty much anyone and backs up most of his actions. Hes got some skill too. I respect him more than Backes for sure

I guess I'm not really focusing on cases where a fighter challenges a non-fighter. I fully agree that's a s***ty move.

And I guess it's just the reality of the situation. Spot picker in a hockey context just inherently has a negative light to it. And if you have a top six forward and fighter who never went after non-fighters and has a fight card of mostly other fighters but refused to fight against other fighters at certain times then he's still technically a spot picker. It just is what it is.

EDIT: Not that Backes is that kind of guy. I agree that his fight card is nothing near impressive.

Edited by Red Wings Addict

I guess I'm not really focusing on cases where a fighter challenges a non-fighter. I fully agree that's a s***ty move.

And I guess it's just the reality of the situation. Spot picker in a hockey context just inherently has a negative light to it. And if you have a top six forward and fighter who never went after non-fighters and has a fight card of mostly other fighters but refused to fight against other fighters at certain times then he's still technically a spot picker. It just is what it is.

Shying away from fights in this scenario makes you a *****, not a spotpicker. I still don't think you realize what spotpicking is.

Datsyuk is a spot picker.

By the logic you are using, No. Datsyuk is not a spotpicker.

Edited by AceInTheSleeve