• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

It's because Kaleta knocks him way backward.

he was clearly launching into kaleta
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#22 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

he was clearly launching into kaleta

Whatever you say, Jolly.

Posted Image

#23 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Whatever you say, Jolly.

i see things without the naive homer glasses.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#24 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Jolly,

Fistric was leaving the ice when he made that hit. You are technically right that his feet were still in contact with the ice when the hit was made. But you are completely ignoring hte fact that the only piece of his skate that was on the ice were like the toe of the blade... No one can skate like that. He was launching himself upward before contact was made. There are times when I agree kronwall is on that borderline but i don't recall him launching that much upward. Neidereitter (sp) was leaning back, it wasn't like the force that fistric made was even close to the same he received. I probably wouldn't have suspended him as I think it was a fairly solid hit, but I also don't have a problem with it. Launching upwards into a player is illegal, this isn't a brand new thing. Just the way I am seeing things. Kronwall definitely can live on this borderline.

also rewatched the two videos, that specific hit for kronwall would have maybe garnered a suspension becuase he lept because his angle was off by a foot or two. Stuarts in no way would be considered leaping into his opponent, he made it like 2-3 inches off the ice with the full hit. Fistric had a good half foot or more at the apex of his hit/jump. You don't sky rocket that high with those big hits. Other kronwall hits aren't likely that blatant. But you are right about that one hit.

Edited by Sprsquirt7, 07 December 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#25 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

I still haven't seen the much prophesied death of hard-hitting hockey.

In other news it's great that the NHL is suddenly addressing the long and short-term health effects of concussions. Hopefully they'll successfully push the number of concussions down significantly. It's worth noting that increased reports of concussions isn't the same thing as increased incidence of concussions. 15 years ago many concussions weren't correctly dealt with or even reported.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#26 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

I still haven't seen the much prophesied death of hard-hitting hockey.

In other news it's great that the NHL is suddenly addressing the long and short-term health effects of concussions. Hopefully they'll successfully push the number of concussions down significantly. It's worth noting that increased reports of concussions isn't the same thing as increased incidence of concussions. 15 years ago many concussions weren't correctly dealt with or even reported.

Should phaneuf have been suspended. His hit clearly concussed Sauer. In the fistric one the ice might have caused the concussion rather than the shoulder contact.

Edited by jollymania, 07 December 2011 - 07:00 PM.

- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#27 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

Jolly,

Fistric was leaving the ice when he made that hit. You are technically right that his feet were still in contact with the ice when the hit was made. But you are completely ignoring hte fact that the only piece of his skate that was on the ice were like the toe of the blade... No one can skate like that. He was launching himself upward before contact was made. There are times when I agree kronwall is on that borderline but i don't recall him launching that much upward. Neidereitter (sp) was leaning back, it wasn't like the force that fistric made was even close to the same he received. I probably wouldn't have suspended him as I think it was a fairly solid hit, but I also don't have a problem with it. Launching upwards into a player is illegal, this isn't a brand new thing. Just the way I am seeing things. Kronwall definitely can live on this borderline.

also rewatched the two videos, that specific hit for kronwall would have maybe garnered a suspension becuase he lept because his angle was off by a foot or two. Stuarts in no way would be considered leaping into his opponent, he made it like 2-3 inches off the ice with the full hit. Fistric had a good half foot or more at the apex of his hit/jump. You don't sky rocket that high with those big hits. Other kronwall hits aren't likely that blatant. But you are right about that one hit.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QdTANySXsaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdTANySXsaw

judging by the suspension for the fistric hit kronwall should be banned for life
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#28 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

Jolly:

Havlat hit was clean.
Heatley hit was borderline.
The last two videos were all charges. They were all called except the one, which should have been called.

What's the problem, again?

Edited by Doc Holliday, 07 December 2011 - 07:51 PM.

Posted Image

#29 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

I don't know what the use in discussing this is; they haven't been hitting much lately anyway. In yesterday's game, it seemed like every Wing who tried to throw a hit ended up missing...

#30 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

i firmly believe we are going to see less hits like the famous kronwalls and the hip check/low center of gravity hits to come back with a vengeance.

guys going over the hitter types and rob blake stuff.

it will take away the jumping aspect in the stand up hits, but create a lot more damage to everywhere else on the target.
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#31 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Kronwall is on the decline. He used to hit way more than he does now. Sure he still has a doozy once in awhile, but that year he hit Havlat, he was a killer (yes obvious reference to the other thread :lol:) out there. It seems his body just cannot take it anymore or he is starting to believe the hype that he is Nick Jr. and feels he is better suited in that role. Especially now, after his contract has been signed. I just think he will never be the number one defenseman. I may have at one time, but given his play recently, I don't think so anymore. He is here because of the way he played, he needs to continue that, if he can, but like I said, he peaked already and is on his decline.

I don't know what the use in discussing this is; they haven't been hitting much lately anyway. In yesterday's game, it seemed like every Wing who tried to throw a hit ended up missing...

For the most part, they avoid the hit, so the rare time that they try, it doesn't work out too good.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#32 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

Who cares? Not saying those hits aren't enjoyable and it is impossible to say with any certainty whether they can impact a game or not. If they play tough defense and never hit it's still hockey.

#33 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

I'm enjoying watching jollymania making an arse of himself.

Still carrying my name around in his sig like a prize joker. Doesn't know two things about hockey.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#34 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

Jolly:

Havlat hit was clean.
Heatley hit was borderline.
The last two videos were all charges. They were all called except the one, which should have been called.

What's the problem, again?

the problem is fistric got suspended 3 games for a hit not as bad.
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#35 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:53 AM

the problem is fistric got suspended 3 games for a hit not as bad.

None of those Kronwall hits were from this season, where hits that involve the head have been held under much more scrutiny.

Posted Image

#36 BryceWings

BryceWings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:58 AM

Most of the time when I see their feet just slightly leave the ice it's because the hit they put on was so hard from the impact. They need those two out there. Giving them a lot less ice time might actually hurt a lot more.

#37 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

I'm not sure why everyone focuses so much on whether a guy leaves his feet before contact or not, I don't think it really matters. I've always thought a lot of Kronwall's hits in the past were borderline. I don't like guys jumping/launching themselves into other players, regardless of when the feet leave the ice.

I understand feet will leave the ice on a lot of hits on the follow through, but when a guy launches himself way up there, I think that's a problem and yes, I think some of Kronwall's hits have been problematic for me.

#38 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'm not sure why everyone focuses so much on whether a guy leaves his feet before contact or not, I don't think it really matters. I've always thought a lot of Kronwall's hits in the past were borderline. I don't like guys jumping/launching themselves into other players, regardless of when the feet leave the ice.

I understand feet will leave the ice on a lot of hits on the follow through, but when a guy launches himself way up there, I think that's a problem and yes, I think some of Kronwall's hits have been problematic for me.

Absolutely agree.

As much as I love it when Kronner crushes someone, a fair amount of his hits have been on the line, a few over.

And like I said earlier, the exploding up is inevitably directing the blow towards a guys upper body and head. You can still crush them with your skates on the ice and not leaping. Even if the leap happens at or after contact, it used to be considered a charge years ago.

#39 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

None of those Kronwall hits were from this season, where hits that involve the head have been held under much more scrutiny.

im just saying, if they do make a hit they will be gone. Surprising enough though kronwall has left his feet twice this year, once on a hit on cullen, and once on a hit on staubitz, neither were looked at simply because the guys had their heads up and avoided most of it.

Absolutely agree.

As much as I love it when Kronner crushes someone, a fair amount of his hits have been on the line, a few over.

And like I said earlier, the exploding up is inevitably directing the blow towards a guys upper body and head. You can still crush them with your skates on the ice and not leaping. Even if the leap happens at or after contact, it used to be considered a charge years ago.

guys rarely hit like that in the past, but there were instances in the old nhl where you could do a leaping elbow on a guy and only get 2 minutes. I will take an explosive clena hit over a leaping elbow nay day. The problem is now people seem to thing standard hitting is dirtier than a cheapshot. Just look at the Marchand slew foot form a few games ago. All he got was a 2 minute penalty for what should have been a 5 game suspension at least if you give fistric 3.

Edited by jollymania, 08 December 2011 - 12:11 PM.

- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#40 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

im just saying, if they do make a hit they will be gone. Surprising enough though kronwall has left his feet twice this year, once on a hit on cullen, and once on a hit on staubitz, neither were looked at simply because the guys had their heads up and avoided most of it.

guys rarely hit like that in the past, but there were instances in the old nhl where you could do a leaping elbow on a guy and only get 2 minutes. I will take an explosive clena hit over a leaping elbow nay day. The problem is now people seem to thing standard hitting is dirtier than a cheapshot. Just look at the Marchand slew foot form a few games ago. All he got was a 2 minute penalty for what should have been a 5 game suspension at least if you give fistric 3.

I do agree that all the focus on headshots still leads to awfully light penalties on other serious infractions. Guys are still getting away with little cheapshots that are potentially much more dangerous than some of these hits.