• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

Man I miss having a guy that would roam the ice like a cannonball and give the opposition a good wearing down.

Not even Abdelkader does it anymore.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#22 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

Man I miss having a guy that would roam the ice like a cannonball and give the opposition a good wearing down.

They have gone away from that for some reason. In 2008 they had two players like that, Drake and Downey. Sure they didn't play all 82 games, but when they did play, the other team knew it. Nothing personifies their play like Downey destroying Laperierre after injuring Lidstrom. Nobody on today's team will do that. Nobody. Datsyuk gets run around and there is no retaliation. Goon? No, but someone to patrol, yes.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#23 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

I think Abdelkader is the only consistently physical forward. But I also question how much running around he wants to do with no backup if someone tries to go after him after.

Add one more guy that plays similar to him like Prust, and I bet you wuold see his physical play jump up considerably because they feed off eachother.

When Franzen is out there turning away from every check and not finishing them, it probably doesnt give any energy to the team to finish their hits.

Look at the bruins, the team has a lot of legit tough guys. Chara, Mcquaid, Thornton and Looch, than all of a sudden Nathan Horton goes there and feeds off their energy and hes in more than his career total in fights in one season in Boston and completely upped his physical play.

Benoit Pouliot plays tough, and hes no tough guy. Brad Marchand can run around and do whatever the hell he wants.

I'm not saying the wings need to go out and trade their team to make it like Boston's, but I do think adding one or 2 more Abdelkader types to the lineup would help everyone know that somebody has their back and they can feel free to play more on the edge.

They need a Prust, or prime Brad May type. Maybe even Travis Moen. Once Abdelkader has one more guy running guys out there with him and show that they can take some of the crap from other teams, he will be more effective and a physical force out there

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#24 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

...sadly all those hits would be deemed suspendable according the NHL's new hitting standards. Besides, Bertuzzi is afraid to hit like that anymore.

Not even. These are textbook hits. Doesn't charge, isn't late, doesn't leave feet, doesn't target head, leads with shoulder, elbows and stick down, separates man from puck, puts man on his ass. Beauties!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#25 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

I agree there is a correlation between having a tougher guy on the roster and everyone else playing with a couple of extra inches of height. Players feed off each others energy and physicality and gives the team a mental attitude of giving that extra bit of toughness which goes hand in hand with a general increased work ethic.

The same can be said about a team with no toughness. If no one consistently sticks up for their teammates, the idea of backing someone up will seem almost foreign and players will be hesitant. Same goes for playing with a physical edge.

Winning the mental side of the game is essential to being a consistent regular season team and a successful post season team. Physicality comes under that, for sure.

Don't get me started on Franzen's pathetic display last night. Hudler fights back and shows more balls than he does and he should take a long look at himself.

edit: grammar

Edited by uk_redwing, 07 December 2011 - 11:35 PM.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#26 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

This team has become complacent. For the last however-many years, we have heard that "we expect to contend for the Stanley Cup every year", but when the team falls short (1st or 2nd round exit), nobody seems to pay the price. Sure, Curtis Joseph and Dave Lewis can be counted among the few that did... Joseph unfairly IMO, and I think Lewis was put in a situation where he had little chance to succeed. But since then, who's been traded or let go for underperforming? Which star players have been benched after a stretch of poor or uninspired play? Do any of the leaders in the locker room flip their s*** when the team isn't playing up to their standards?
The only players who fear for their jobs are the bottom guys, 6/7th defensemen and 4th line/extra forwards. The other guys know they'll be here, win or lose, Cup or no Cup. I think a shakeup is needed if this team is going to succeed in the postseason.

#27 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Top six forward; younger version of a Clowe or Laich.

#28 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:20 AM

Acquiring a young, hungry forward at the deadline could prove beneficial. David Clarkson and Matt Beleskey come to mind. The overall mindset of this team has to change. Nothing will be handed to us.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#29 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:17 AM

How physical do you think my man Mursak will be on return? We both know he likes to hit, and if he's playing that bottom 6 role I expect him to be reasonably physical.

Acquiring a young, hungry forward at the deadline could prove beneficial. David Clarkson and Matt Beleskey come to mind. The overall mindset of this team has to change. Nothing will be handed to us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMYX6_6j91E

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 08 December 2011 - 06:18 AM.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#30 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

How physical do you think my man Mursak will be on return? We both know he likes to hit, and if he's playing that bottom 6 role I expect him to be reasonably physical.

Mursak is a somewhat physical player, and actually sticks up for himself a bit which is nice to see on this team every now and than. That said, Mursak wont be a physical game changer at the NHL level, hes probably a bit less physical than Helm is but with his speed and ability to play a bit physical he will be definitely be a step in the right direction.

An energy line with Helm and Mursak will be awesome to watch in the playoffs, they both will play off eachothers strengths really well.

Now if they could find someone ABdelkader could play off his strengths with, this team would be better off. I'm pretty sick of having grinders who pretend to be skilled guys and put up under 20 points a season. Take Miller and Eaves money and throw it at Prust this offseason.

Mursak will be a nice addition though over someone like Miller thats for sure

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#31 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

...sadly all those hits would be deemed suspendable according the NHL's new hitting standards. Besides, Bertuzzi is afraid to hit like that anymore.

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic as none of those would be suspendable. However, the 3rd hit on the 3 hits in one shift video should definitely have been a penalty.

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

I should add that, I dont think the wings need to add a guy like Prust who is a known very tough commodity.

Even adding a guy like Troy Brouwer, a big body that can hit and can fight much like Abdelkader would work too.

Gaustad and Brouwer are 2 guys I would love to see the wings get. Brouwer could provide some size and offense to the top 6 on Datsyuks wing with Franzen

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

the best possible case from my POV is to add hard hitting guys to the top and bottom 6. Would be glad to see Tuomo Ruutu, Troy Brower, Joel Ward, Brandon Prust, etc. Any of these guys will help.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#34 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

I should add that, I dont think the wings need to add a guy like Prust who is a known very tough commodity.

He'd be my first choice. 6 points thus far, and he's very versatile. Skates well, kills penalties, etc.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#35 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

Shane Doan, a goal-scorer and the calendar to read April.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."