• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

As for Ovie....is the conclusion he did that on purpose? I thought a spear was when you stabbed at a player? Looked incidental to me....but I guess it's not a stretch to think he could of done it on purpose.

Man, Ovie has you fooled too? I should be pretty obvious that it was on purpose (not necessarily at full speed unless you are really watching though).

In terms of your reference to "stabbing" - it was a stabbing motion, whether you stab forward or backward, it's still a stab.

#22 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

The clue for me that told me he did it on purpose was the way he skated off after. He gave him the jab and then immediately cut in front of him... almost seems like he knew Neil would stop or at least slow down.

Worthy of a suspension IMO, even if only a game or two.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#23 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Man, Ovie has you fooled too? I should be pretty obvious that it was on purpose (not necessarily at full speed unless you are really watching though).

In terms of your reference to "stabbing" - it was a stabbing motion, whether you stab forward or backward, it's still a stab.

I'm not fooled at all, just unclear of what constitutes a spear. To me, spear implies the act of spearing at something...like spearing a fish. This is more like a slashing or swinging motion than stabbing. I think of a spear more like what Talbot did to Osgood. Either way, we're arguing semantics, which I didn't mean to do. Just wanted clarification on the spear.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

I'm not fooled at all, just unclear of what constitutes a spear. To me, spear implies the act of spearing at something...like spearing a fish. This is more like a slashing or swinging motion than stabbing. I think of a spear more like what Talbot did to Osgood. Either way, we're arguing semantics, which I didn't mean to do. Just wanted clarification on the spear.

By the league definition it's basically hitting a guy with the point of your stick blade.

They also consider spearing simply the act of trying to spear a guy. Even if you don't make contact with him, it's supposed to be a double minor. If you do make contact it's an automatic 5 minute major and a game misconduct.

#25 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

By the league definition it's basically hitting a guy with the point of your stick blade.

They also consider spearing simply the act of trying to spear a guy. Even if you don't make contact with him, it's supposed to be a double minor. If you do make contact it's an automatic 5 minute major and a game misconduct.

Ya, I get that, I just don't really agree I guess. I understand you get called even for trying to do it; an attempt is a clear indication of intent (e.g. attempted murder).

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#26 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

it's too bad Ovie is a tool now

#27 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

Shanny looked at the play and determined that there would be no suspension. As a ref, I think this is borderline worth a game or two, but I can also side with Shanny's decision.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

Shanny looked at the play and determined that there would be no suspension. As a ref, I think this is borderline worth a game or two, but I can also side with Shanny's decision.

Because there was no call on the play and it was clearly a spear, at the very least an attempted one, he should've been fined something to re-up his repeat offender status.

Agreed. The guy throws big and sometimes borderline hits, but he apparently can't take what he dishes out.

#29 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

It was McLellan (who is now a commentator on NHL network) going Hextall on Franzen, immediately after he was put in net.

Thank you ah yeah it was Franzen.

#30 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

Penalty to OV and a game for the terrible death fall by Neil.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#31 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Both should have gotten 2 mins imo.

You can see Neil looking for the ref the second it happens. So his immideate reaction is not '**** that hurts!' but rather 'ref?! are you looking??'.

And no way that's accidental by Ovie :lol:

#32 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Two minutes each for two complete bulls***ters.

#33 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

This
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#34 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

I can live with the 2 minutes to Neil, but Ovie should have gotten 5 minutes. There is no grey zone here. Spear with no contact is a double minor, spear with contact is a major.

#35 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

I can live with the 2 minutes to Neil, but Ovie should have gotten 5 minutes. There is no grey zone here. Spear with no contact is a double minor, spear with contact is a major.

and an automatic game misconduct.

#36 BryceWings

BryceWings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

Didn't look like that hard of a spear. But then again i've never felt the wrath of Ovechkin.

Edited by BryceWings, 09 December 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#37 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

Didn't look like that hard of a spear. But then again i've never felt the wrath of Ovechkin.

Actually looked pretty hard to me, a lot more significant than most spears which are normally just little pokes.

#38 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I'll say. He's dating tennis hottie Maria Kirilenko.

Posted Image
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.