Photo
- - - - -

wait til you see this goal celebration...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,620 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:51 AM

This.

I like hockey because it's a team sport and players celebrate together after goals. They acknowledge the guy who made a great pass, or took a huge hit to make a play that ended up in their goal.

Some personality is fine, but that was assinine. I don't want hockey to go the way of football. Where nearly every friggin tackle or completed pass involves a player's preplanned signature move.

Leaving the bench was a nutball move by Downie. This warranted a scrum. Not coming off the bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa9vIQzzg38

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#22 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:33 AM

I really don't know whats worse, being a poor winner or a poor loser? Both teams look ridiculous if you ask me. If you don't like being scored on Vinny work on your defence.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#23 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

Just for the record, both teams thought it was pretty classless, even his teammates didn't want to defend it.

#24 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

I understand Canadians are robots, but I like a little personality in the NHL. Plus, he was no where near the goalie, so I don't get what running Miller has to do with anything.

I dunno, Canadians are raised in hockey to not do that kind of s***. I expect that from football players. Pretending to shoot a goalie and tainting him isn't acceptable.

One of the first things you learn in hockey, is always protect your goalie. Whether hes getting hit or taunted, you always stick up for the tendy. You get taught that in novice

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#25 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

I dunno, Canadians are raised in hockey to not do that kind of s***. I expect that from football players. Pretending to shoot a goalie and tainting him isn't acceptable.

One of the first things you learn in hockey, is always protect your goalie. Whether hes getting hit or taunted, you always stick up for the tendy. You get taught that in novice

Protect from what? I don't get it at all. Sad thing Anisimov hadn't a real rifle. Then, those bustard would have had a reason to protect his goalie.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

Protect from what? I don't get it at all. Sad thing Anisimov hadn't a real rifle. Then, those bustard would have had a reason to protect his goalie.

There's just a long standing tradition and code regarding goaltenders and goals in general.

Like how players never shoot the puck into the net at the end of plays or after the whistle or anything. It would be an immediate brawl, even though the play is dead. You just don't do it. Just like taunting the goalie after a goal isn't really done. At least not that openly.

Most celebrations I have no problem with, but this one isn't just a young kid being excited. It's ridiculous and pre-planned and all about himself. If stuff like this became commonplace in hockey it would probably do more to dissuade me from watching than if they took out fighting. Hockey players are among the toughest, most highly skilled, hardest working and team oriented athletes there are. Part of what's great about the game is what these guys do as a team and for their teammates.

If it went the way of football with the celebrations, it would lose one of the better qualities the game has.

I'd take Steve Yzerman jumping so hard into Shanahan that he breaks his nose a million times over a player dancing over a stick pretending it's on fire, or kneeling down pretending he's a sniper shooting the goalie.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 09 December 2011 - 11:46 AM.

#27 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

People are actually defending this disgusting display? Can't wait to see what the Don has to say about this on Coaches Corner and also hope someone on Tampa "gets" Asiminov next time they play.

Good on Tampa for sticking up for their goalie. If Asiminov did that to the Wings no one would have done jack s***, Jimmy would have to do it himself.

Edited by redwingfan19, 09 December 2011 - 12:56 PM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#28 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Other teams score goals on the 1-3-1? Interesting.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#29 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa9vIQzzg38

Maybe next time a goalie makes another save on Ovie, he should drop his stick and pretend to spray lighter fluid on it and set it back on fire.

#30 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

:blink:

Clicky!
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#31 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

There's nothing wrong with the celebration in my book.I've seen more crazy goal celebrations in football(soccer)

or in hockey like this...

#32 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

There's nothing wrong with the celebration in my book.I've seen more crazy goal celebrations in football(soccer)

And that's one of the reasons I like hockey and hockey players a lot more

#33 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

Exactly my point. And one of the handful of reasons I don't watch soccer.

And that's one of the reasons I like hockey and hockey players a lot more

what he said!

( I really need to scroll down and read the last posts before replying)

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 09 December 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#34 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:18 PM

A goalies game is 90% mental.

You got guys rattling him with cellys like that and if your goalie is lacking in mental toughness the floodgates could open.

Goalies are a strange breed. There has always been a code regarding them and teammates defending them, you never taunt a goalie or you get it.

Good for Tampa on backing their goalie and letting the tendy know the captain and team have his back

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#35 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

That celebration should be reserved for a top shelf one timer at the top of the circle ala Brett Hull back in the day, not a lazy tap in.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#36 BryceWings

BryceWings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

I laughed when I first saw the taunt. With the way they reacted i'm surprised it didn't clear benches and the 2 goalies are center ice.

#37 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

Reminds me of Selanne with an all time great celebration. Downie is an idiot and nice sucker punch by Stamkos. I don't get why all the TBL players got their panties in a bunch over that little celebration Posted Image Oh well, the Tamp Bay Yzermans are still my favorite team in the East.

Agreed on all counts. Anisimov's celebration was over the top (and definitely not something I'd like to see from a Wings player) but no more so than Selanne or Theo Fleury's famous celebrations.

I can see why there was a scrum after that taunt but it was no excuse for a sixth man to leave the bench looking for a fight.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#38 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

Agreed on all counts. Anisimov's celebration was over the top (and definitely not something I'd like to see from a Wings player) but no more so than Selanne or Theo Fleury's famous celebrations.

I can see why there was a scrum after that taunt but it was no excuse for a sixth man to leave the bench looking for a fight.

You know why those are famous celebrations...

Fleurys was a game 6 OT winner against their biggest rival back when both teams were still sick.

Selannes was on a record breaking rookie goal I thought?

Anisimovs was on a tap in during a meaningless regular season game that he did none of the work for

One of these things is not like the others.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#39 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

I really don't care much either way, but...

I find it interesting that most people here are saying this gesture is perfectly fine, but most people here were saying how out of line and uncalled for the Asham KO "goodnight" gesture was after his fight earlier this year. I guess I'll never fully get the LGW crowd, lol.

#40 BryceWings

BryceWings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8K655g4Y_0

That's awesome. Hugs the guy, gets punched in the face then skates to his teammates while smiling. Epic.