5 replies to this topic

#1 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

This ’n’ that

The Red Wings, with $5.6 million in cap room, would probably like to add another offensive top-six or top-nine player at the deadline. It’s no secret Detroit GM Ken Holland has long been an Ales Hemsky fan. He stuck a dagger in their hearts in the first round of the 2006 playoffs in Game 6 in Edmonton. The Oilers winger, who is an an unrestricted free-agent July 1, would cost the Oilers about $1 million in cap hit if they wanted him at the deadline. The Red Wings would also like an extra, veteran defenceman in the late Ruslan Salei mould …

http://www.edmontonj...2826/story.html

http://www.toutsurlehockey.com/section/hockey/10855/rumeurs/de/transactions/tslh/rumeurs%20d'echanges/2011-12-11/les-red-wings-de-detroit-pourraient-ils-acquerir-ales-hemsky/

EDIT:

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reports the Red Wings, with $5.6 million in available cap space, could add a top-six forward later this season, and suggested they might have interest in Oilers winger Ales Hemsky. The Wings would also like a physical defenseman…Matheson also panned the Canadiens acquisition of Kaberle…He also wondered if the NY Islanders might shop defenseman Steve Staios if they’re not in the playoff hunt by the trade deadline, or if playoff-bound teams would have more interest in Calgary’s Cory Sarich

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Hemsky’s value, however, could be hurt by his history of shoulder injuries. I’ve suggested Carolina’s Tuomu Ruutu might be a better fit on the right side for the Red Wings, as he brings a more physical edge to his game…Wouldn’t be surprised if the Isles shop Staios by the deadline if they’re out of the post-season picture by then. Ditto the Flames with Sarich, who’ll be a UFA next summer and might have value as a rental player.

http://spectorshocke...cember-11-2011/

I could live either with Hemsky and/or Ruutu.

Edited by Dominator2005, 11 December 2011 - 04:45 PM.

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#2 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

Since you mentioned Hemsky in your title, I will focus on him.

He really hasn't been healthy, just as you pointed out. I would go with someone who has been a little more durable. I also don't think Ruutu is the answer either.

Edited by Nightfall, 13 December 2011 - 04:19 PM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#3 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,551 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

I have a very strong feeling that we'll see Ruutu here before the deadline.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#4 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Ruutu is the definition of underrated. He plays a very physical game plus can put up 50-60 points. I'd like to see what he could do on the Wings and on a good team. I've been a fan of this guy for a while and would love to see him here.

As for Hemsky, injury risk and all, i'd take the risk. He's very dynamic and has the makings of a 70 point plus player if he would remain healthy, but I think the price tag is well worth the risk for a potential scoring threat. Hes often overlooked as one of the better players in hockey because of his injury frequency, but the skill set is there. I say good call on both guys here, i'd have zero problem signing both of these guys.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#5 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,551 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

Ruutu is the definition of underrated. He plays a very physical game plus can put up 50-60 points. I'd like to see what he could do on the Wings and on a good team. I've been a fan of this guy for a while and would love to see him here.

As for Hemsky, injury risk and all, i'd take the risk. He's very dynamic and has the makings of a 70 point plus player if he would remain healthy, but I think the price tag is well worth the risk for a potential scoring threat. Hes often overlooked as one of the better players in hockey because of his injury frequency, but the skill set is there. I say good call on both guys here, i'd have zero problem signing both of these guys.

I agree with your opinion on Ruutu. I think he'd make a great second line winger on this team.

Hemsky? I'm not sold on. Not sure this team neads a fragile player and another "pass first" guy.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#6 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

I agree with your opinion on Ruutu. I think he'd make a great second line winger on this team.

Hemsky? I'm not sold on. Not sure this team neads a fragile player and another "pass first" guy.

Not too familiar with Ruutu, but the general opinion seems to be he'd be a better fit than Hemsky. We need a shooter more than anything.

And I don't see why we would be looking for a defenseman. We have one of the best defensive lineups in the league, and there's no one movable. Any acquisition would have to be a bottom pairing defenseman, in which we already have Commodore who is willing to hit. That part of the article sounds sketchy to me.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.