• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Loyalty Question

Rate this topic

Fellow LGW brethren,

I am in need of some honest opinions here. Although I am a huge Detroit Red Wings fan, I do not limit myself to watching only Wings games. I've got Center Ice, so I follow everything that's going on around the league, and although I enjoy Detroit games the most, I consider myself a fan of the NHL in general, as well. My question is this: Am I betraying our beloved Detroit Red Wings by purchasing merchandise of another team, or am I just being a "well-rounded" hockey fan? Do any of you guys/gals have merchandise (Jerseys, etc.) Of other teams? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sincerely,

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Not at all. I have a Rangers t-shirt and a Rangers jersey (Shanahan) along with a Caps jersey (Ovechkin), a Sabres jersey (Miller) and an Isles jersey (Osgood). If Parise ends up staying with the Devils, I'll likely end up getting a Devils jersey next season too just to show some hometown pride.

I don't think so. I'm visiting the states for the first time in my life (I fly out on Friday morning) and I will be attending a few rangers games and a game in Boston. I'll be buying a jersey for both teams and wearing them pretty often. I'll also be buying a lot of player T-shirts for different players that I like eg, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Kovalchuck etc. Maybe it's different because I don't live with people who live and breathe hockey like I do, but I definitely don't feel dirty wearing other teams stuff. Unless I'm watching Detroit play of course, in which case it's Red wings only gear.

You're not betraying your team buy getting merchandise of another team. However, I will say this, you never know who the Wings next rival will be. I used to own a ton of Pens merchandise, then 2008 came and I had to sell all that crap and you're not getting as much for it as you paid to get it. I also bought Caps and Hurricanes jerseys a couple years before the Wings met them in the Finals too and had to sell that. If you buy Wings merchandise, you definitely won't regret it later on.

No way, I have a jersey collection, I love hockey jerseys but that doesn't take away from my ridiculous obsession with the Red Wings. And I dont ever pay full price for my jerseys, I look for deals on eBay

My Jerseys:

Red Wings- Yzerman

Red Wings Winter Classic- Zetterberg

Lightning 3rd- Stamkos

Blackhawks (1992 Vintgae)- Chelios

Kings (1988 Purple and Gold)- Robitaille

Team Canada

Team USA

Team Czech Republic

and I just got a dark Mighty Ducks Jersey, no name on it but I'm thinking of putting Salei on there.

Some of them are authentic some aren't, either way, I love hockey jerseys.

I wouldn't wear a rival teams jersey, but I'm still a minor fan of other teams. I'll cheer for the Wings above all, but I like to follow younger teams like Edmonton and see them come to their potential. So if I had to get another jersey other than my Abdelkader home jersey I'd probably get a Nugent-Hopkins jersey or something like that.

Edited by PrairieDawg

The only sports I care about are hockey and baseball and in both cases I have a secondary, non-rival, team that I root for.

In baseball I have the Cubs and in hockey the Sabres. I've got a Sabres hat and a 40th anniversary-style Miller shirt.

That said, I'll be at Wrigley this Summer rooting on the Tigers and I'd never want to see the Sabres beat the Wings.

I draw the line at other teams jerseys myself. I think in my case though it's just as much spending that kind of cash on another teams jeresey... ewww.

I agree on the money issue. I would like to have more jerseys, but spending ~$80 on another team's jersey is not worth it for me.

I do have some CBJ free gear that I wear- a tuque and a scarf. I don't wear them (usually) to support CBJ, but because it's the only clean winter 'gear'. The exception is if CBJ is playing a Wings' rival, then I wear them for support. I would like to get some USA gear.

Who defines their fandom based on what other people think? If you say you're a Red Wings fan, you're a Red Wings fan, even if you have 15 other players' jerseys hanging up in your closet. Whether we agree or disagree with that means nothing. I personally wouldn't wear another team's colors, and frankly, don't have the money to spend on them even if I did, but that's me. We're both still fans at the end of the day.

Don't worry about what other people here think. You are accountable to you, and no one else.

Totally a personal choice.

I have several other teams that I'll follow (most of the O6 teams), but I personally wouldn't buy any of their merch.

As long as you don't buy a Crosby jersey, there's no wrong answer to your question. :lol:

I wouldn't buy things supporting another team but it's mostly because I don't care about the other teams enough to spend that money. I like several other teams second to the wings but if I go to a game I can borrow a sweater from a friend to support them.

I own a Bruins hat and have loved that team since Happy Gilmore came out. That's as far as it goes for me, I could never wear a team in the West's gear, and god help the person that's out there that wears some sort of messed up Chicago-Detroit combo.

Who defines their fandom based on what other people think? If you say you're a Red Wings fan, you're a Red Wings fan, even if you have 15 other players' jerseys hanging up in your closet. Whether we agree or disagree with that means nothing. I personally wouldn't wear another team's colors, and frankly, don't have the money to spend on them even if I did, but that's me. We're both still fans at the end of the day.

Don't worry about what other people here think. You are accountable to you, and no one else.

Yeah, it's kinda like when the Hawks won and everyone in Chicago went "I'm a Blackhawks fan". :hehe:

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

i have a Gretzky jersey (Kings late 80s-early 90s black and silver )

McCarty - ( Wings )

Gabrik ( Wild )

Messier ( Canucks )

Gomez ( Devils )

Modano ( North Stars )

Selanne ( Jets )

and in the mail im getting Kyle Wellwood Jets jersey simply because hes not far from where i currently live.

and im gonna be honest and say that im an NHL fan in general, but i love watching the wings the most. Its been like that for almost 20 years.

No way, I have a jersey collection, I love hockey jerseys but that doesn't take away from my ridiculous obsession with the Red Wings. And I dont ever pay full price for my jerseys, I look for deals on eBay

My Jerseys:

Red Wings- Yzerman

Red Wings Winter Classic- Zetterberg

Lightning 3rd- Stamkos

Blackhawks (1992 Vintgae)- Chelios

Kings (1988 Purple and Gold)- Robitaille

Team Canada

Team USA

Team Czech Republic

and I just got a dark Mighty Ducks Jersey, no name on it but I'm thinking of putting Salei on there.

Some of them are authentic some aren't, either way, I love hockey jerseys.

You lucky f***