• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

Seriously, I know he is a good player, but the efforts to make him the best and the face of the NHL has made me dislike the kid. There are other young players who work hard and are great fun to watch - we have a few - who will not get the media hype, but who are still also good for the game. Hard work and heart - to me, that's what the game is all about.

I hate for any player to go out like this, but his time might be over. Seems that he has a hard time coming back from the injury, much as he might want to.

I think we may have seen the last of him at least for the regular season.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

One thing is for sure, it's unlikely he'll ever be the same again.

I can't see him coming back and never having any setbacks when it comes to concussions and headaches. He couldn't even make it for a month after having a whole year off. And the hits he took weren't even that severe.

Many players have had their careers end early, but this could potentially be the worst such example. Maybe in any sport. We're talking about a guy who was on pace to finish his career as a top 10 all time player.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

When bobby orr's career ended early, the NHL found a way to survive. I think we will be a okay. The only money the NHL is band wagon Pitt fans, and the money to reprint all the ad's with Crosby already all over them...

Does it suck to to lose a star player, yes. Will it hurt the NHL greatly, NO.

#24 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:33 AM

Datsyuk is already the best all around player.

Crosby is the best player. Guy scores a point per game easily, even after being away from the game for a long time.

And I can't believe some fools on this board actually think this doesn't hurt the league. They televise countless Pens games and talk about Crosby all the time. Whether you like that or not, it's a fact. When he's not playing, it makes the league look worse.

To be fair, though, it is the league's own fault for putting all their eggs in one basket.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#25 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

Good riddance.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#26 kevotron

kevotron

The Wings need more Johnny, they gotta have more Johnny!

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

Sorry, I know this is in bad taste and is super old...

FUNNY!
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words: it is war minus the shooting."
-- George Orwell

#27 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

I posted a little about this in the gdt, I just hope he plays in the next few games or his career as we knew it is going to change. That my friends is a very sad truth. Im pulling for the kid.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#28 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

Yes let's wish that a player never plays again because the media promotes him after having one the best starts to a career in the history of the game.

Stay classy wing's fans.

This is awful news, he's such an important player for the league, it will not be the same without him. Such a shame.

Wow, over-dramatize much? The NHL has survived the retirement of Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe and Wayne Gretzky; what would make this worse?
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#29 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

Yes let's wish that a player never plays again because the media promotes him after having one the best starts to a career in the history of the game.

Stay classy wing's fans.

This is awful news, he's such an important player for the league, it will not be the same without him. Such a shame.

I don't understand this mentality. He's not any better for the game than Ovechkin or Stamkos or anyone else. Maybe because he sells more jerseys? As far as the actual game goes, he's not even the best player in the league (arguably), so his loss would suck for Pens fans but I think the league will do just fine.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#30 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

it is a cover up for his knee, they are just exploiting the people who are overly obsessed and caught p with the concussion issue. Which is sad.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#31 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

it's pretty pathetic that some of you would wish to see one of the best point producers and most talented players in the nhl never step on the ice again just because you're still bitter about a SCF loss a few years ago.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#32 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:07 AM

This is bad for the NHL.

He's their best player, whether you like it or not. That wouldn't be good for any sport, especially a sport that refuses to market other stars, besides Ovechkin.

Don't get confused that easy, it is not a sport that refuses to market other stars, it is Gary's NHL.

#33 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

He's a rival and promoted above all and the hate is understandable on that level. To think it doesn't matter one way or the other for hockey is delusional and putting their hate above the good of the game.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#34 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

He's a rival and promoted above all and the hate is understandable on that level. To think it doesn't matter one way or the other for hockey is delusional and putting their hate above the good of the game.

Please explain why the unfortunate possible retirement of HWSNBN is any more devastating to the league than that of excellent and almost universally beloved players? He's a very good player to be sure, but I fail to see how his loss will harm the league. If anything, it will help get headshots out of the game, so his loss would actually be for the greater good while the NHL continues to grow in spite of him not being in it.
To think his retirement will affect anything other than who the league markets next is delusional.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#35 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

I think those defending Crosby are looking at the situation a bit askew. He adds an excitement to the league when he's playing, but to say it would be a huge blow to the NHL if he never played again is reaching.

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

I don't understand this mentality. He's not any better for the game than Ovechkin or Stamkos or anyone else. Maybe because he sells more jerseys? As far as the actual game goes, he's not even the best player in the league (arguably), so his loss would suck for Pens fans but I think the league will do just fine.

Crosby is better than either of those players you mentioned.

Obviously the league will survive. A still think he's a whiny little ***** (albeit an extremely talented one) but it would be a shame for his career to end so early because of concussion issues.

#37 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:40 AM

To think his retirement will affect anything other than who the league markets next is delusional.

you don't think it will affect fans? you don't think the fans want to see the best players play, especially a player that may be the most exciting in the league?

do you think fans wouldn't care if datsyuk retired tomorrow due to injuries? a player that many feel is alone worth the price of admission to a game? and that's a player that already reached his prime, unlike crosby.

get a clue.

Edited by stinky fish taco, 13 December 2011 - 11:40 AM.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#38 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

This reminds of Eric Lindros. Too bad. Sure, I don't particularly like the kid and think he comes off as a spoiled brat, but he's a good, young talent, and good for the NHL.

#39 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

This reminds of Eric Lindros. Too bad. Sure, I don't particularly like the kid and think he comes off as a spoiled brat, but he's a good, young talent, and good for the NHL.

lindros took and gave out faaar more abuse than crosby has or ever will, and it was eric's own choice. This is the time where you ban contact or just let it go. Put up or shut up.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#40 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

you don't think it will affect fans? you don't think the fans want to see the best players play, especially a player that may be the most exciting in the league?

do you think fans wouldn't care if datsyuk retired tomorrow due to injuries? a player that many feel is alone worth the price of admission to a game? and that's a player that already reached his prime, unlike crosby.

get a clue.

Fans would care if Datsyuk had to retire due to injuries, but you know what? It wouldn't spell the demise of the NHL, nor would Crosby's retirement, despite what the Canadian media would have you believe.

Like this:
Posted Image
A little overdramatic, no?

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!