• Please log in to reply
468 replies to this topic

#421 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

One thing about the Pens that is very impressive is that they've barely slowed down at all when they've suffered injuries the last few seasons. They made the playoffs (and very nearly won their division) last season even with Crosby, Malkin, and Staal only playing half-seasons. Having those guys out certainly improves the Wings' chances, but if recent history is any indicator, the Pens are still very formidable even without them; Malkin had two hat-tricks taken off the board alone by Jimmy.

Meh. I just don't see it.

Super easy travel.
Bunch of creampuffs in their division/conference.( Playing NYI and CAR 5-6 times a year.....)
Tons of help from the refs (one of the least penalized teams in the East despite having people like Cooke on their team)
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#422 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

You live in the greater s***tsburg area?

I do. I drive past Consol everyday. It's actually a nice place to live, but the bandwagon idiots that know next to nothing about hockey make it rough everytime these two play. I got into an argument on the subway with someone who was trying to tell me that Jordan Staal was the third best player in hockey, thus being way better than anyone on "my" Wings. Ugh

#423 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

Well they would've written it the same if it was the other way around. I remember seeing that a lot during the 2009-2010 season. "(Team name here) won a 4-3 contest against the injury riddled Red Wings."

It's still annoying though, regardless of what team it is. Though if a team is icing a squad whose collective salary is below the salary floor due to mass injuries, I can understand to an extent.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#424 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

One thing about the Pens that is very impressive is that they've barely slowed down at all when they've suffered injuries the last few seasons. They made the playoffs (and very nearly won their division) last season even with Crosby, Malkin, and Staal only playing half-seasons. Having those guys out certainly improves the Wings' chances, but if recent history is any indicator, the Pens are still very formidable even without them; Malkin had two hat-tricks taken off the board alone by Jimmy.

They're a tough team to play against and they're built for the playoffs. They're a great team without their big guns but they're definitely that much better with them. Who knows what the game would look like if the Pens had all their horses around 95-100%? Detroit would have definitely competed harder for sure and it would be a close one. Too close for my liking though.

#425 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

From TSN:

Of course the injury card is played....

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#426 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

Great effort, I am really proud of the Wings when they buckle down like this. On to Nashville!!

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#427 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

It's still annoying though, regardless of what team it is. Though if a team is icing a squad whose collective salary is below the salary floor due to mass injuries, I can understand to an extent.

True, but it's probably the most noticeable when the opponent is the Pens because the common perception is that the league bends over backwards for them and wants to mirror a level of success that came about like with Michael Jordan and the NBA.

#428 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

Buh-buh-but, I thought everything was fine when they beat that scoring powerhouse the NY Islanders without him!

That's the thing with Pens fans. This team is incapable losing when Crosby is out. If they win, they did without Crosby, look how great they are. If they lose, well Crosby was out otherwise they would have won.

#429 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

All in all, good win against a top team.

#430 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

Good gdt.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#431 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

Great road game by the Wings- - they really picked it up in the 3rd which was nice to see. Solid game by Howard again, Nick showed why he is still the best dman in the game with his outstanding work on Malkin, and Pavel was the best player on the ice. One thing that I really question is the fact that Pavs only played 16 minutes tonight!? Babs has got to play him more than that with him playing as good as he is. Otherwise, go Wings!!

#432 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

Jordan Staal was the third best player in hockey, thus being way better than anyone on "my" Wings. Ugh

:lol:

:o

:huh:

:angry:

:punch:
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#433 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

I do. I drive past Consol everyday. It's actually a nice place to live, but the bandwagon idiots that know next to nothing about hockey make it rough everytime these two play. I got into an argument on the subway with someone who was trying to tell me that Jordan Staal was the third best player in hockey, thus being way better than anyone on "my" Wings. Ugh

your blog lists your favorite NHL teams as detroit and pittsburgh?

that's...disgusting.

Edited by stinky fish taco, 13 December 2011 - 10:00 PM.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#434 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Good gdt.

During finals week too.

I guess we just needed a team that's easy to hate along with a little controversy and the Pens drown in it, especially with Sid. Oh well.

#435 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Yes we beat the Pens!!! Drew "******* awesome game" Miller tonight what a hustler he was very noticeable.

#436 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Who's going to the game in Nashville? I'll be there!

Loved the way they overcame their usual 2nd period slump and killed it in the 3rd! Very proud!

#437 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Great road game by the Wings- - they really picked it up in the 3rd which was nice to see. Solid game by Howard again, Nick showed why he is still the best dman in the game with his outstanding work on Malkin, and Pavel was the best player on the ice. One thing that I really question is the fact that Pavs only played 16 minutes tonight!? Babs has got to play him more than that with him playing as good as he is. Otherwise, go Wings!!

Pav got injured a little bit for a couple minutes. Otherwise he'd probably be around his average.

#438 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

I can empathize. My college roommate was from Washington, PA and was a huge Pens fan (this was the early 90's). My college gf's roommates' dad was good friends with Rick Kehoe, so I know a pretty good amount of Pens history, and actually respect Pens fans who suffered through the dark days of **** Tarnstrom leading them in scoring. I have no use for the post- Crosby bandwagoners who don't know squat.

When I was out in Pitt for All-State chorus a couple of years ago, I wore my Zetterberg jersey one day and my Konstantinov jersey another day (this was to the game the Pirates lost 20-0 to the Brewers). Three Pens fans were right behind me. Two started talking smack, the third complimented me on the Vladdy jersey. I turned around and said to the guy who gave props to the jersey he'd obviously suffered through the Tarnstrom era and I could respect that and that we could probably have a great hockey chat, but his buddies were obvious bandwagoners who didn't know squat and couldn't spell Crosby without sob and cry. He laughed, turned to his idiot friends and told them to STFU, I knew more about the Pens than they did, and that I was proof Wings fans were cool. He bought me a couple of beers and we had a good time. There are some great long time fans out there but they are sadly outnumbered by the loudmouth bandwagon idiots.

#439 hoogs

hoogs

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 403 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

Malkin is a beast, I would love to see a Datsyuk - Malkin line............I can dream.

#440 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:07 PM

They're a tough team to play against and they're built for the playoffs. They're a great team without their big guns but they're definitely that much better with them. Who knows what the game would look like if the Pens had all their horses around 95-100%? Detroit would have definitely competed harder for sure and it would be a close one. Too close for my liking though.

It would be a great game. They've got some great players, and it would be great hockey, and if it's reffed down the middle would be great to watch. Both teams deserve that. I think that if both teams are clicking and healthy, the Wings win a darn close one.