• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Holliday

Claude Giroux out Indefinitely with Concussion

Rate this topic

INJURY UPDATE: #Flyers GM Paul Holmgren announced that Claude Giroux will be OUT indefinitely. FULL UPDATE HERE: http://*******/9UNv1R

http://twitter.com/#!/NHLFlyers/status/146630064195371008

Yesterday, Paul Holgmgren said that Claude Giroux was suffering "whip lash," indicating that it was a neck issue and not a concussion after getting kneed in the head over the weekend by Wayne Simmonds, but after not feeling well, it's been determined that G has a concussion.

"Claude reported not feeling very good today. Over the past few days, his symptoms have gradually gotten worse. He will be out indefinitely with a concussion," Paul Holmgren said.

As Matt wrote about last night, the NHL concussion plague rages on. With Flyers Chris Pronger and Brayden Schenn joining the likes of Sidney Crosby and Mike Richards, the number of stars watching the game from the sideline keeps rising.

http://www.the700level.com/12/13/11/Claude-Giroux-Out-Indefinitely-with-Conc/landing_flyers.html?blockID=611214&feedID=8510

Does anyone else think this is getting ridiculous? The guy is having a serious breakout year and is suddenly sidelined with a concussion.

Yesterday, Paul Holgmgren said that Claude Giroux was suffering "whip lash," indicating that it was a neck issue and not a concussion after getting kneed in the head over the weekend by Wayne Simmonds, but after not feeling well, it's been determined that G has a concussion.

"Claude reported not feeling very good today. Over the past few days, his symptoms have gradually gotten worse. He will be out indefinitely with a concussion," Paul Holmgren said.

As Matt wrote about last night, the NHL concussion plague rages on. With Flyers Chris Pronger and Brayden Schenn joining the likes of Sidney Crosby and Mike Richards, the number of stars watching the game from the sideline keeps rising.

This is getting nuts.

The pussification continues.

Good grief, who pissed in your Wheaties? I daresay few of us could withstand a knee to head without suffering ill effects. Want to try it?

Concussions are rampant in the league, more than in the history of the league if Alzheimer's hasn't set it for me. If I had to hazard a guess as to its cause, I would have to say it's because of the lack of respect amongst the players. There's too much equipment and no accountability. Call the game right or let the players enforce the code of old. Just my two cents.

It's too bad. It was such a fluke play too. He fell down in front of Simmonds, who jumped over him but clipped him in the back of the head with his knee. It was a total accident but I'm guessing Simmonds feels awful.

In that case my theory is crap! Too bad for Simmonds - not much he can do.

That's too bad. Especially with the huge step he's taken this year.

He's a much better 2-way forward than Crosby, actually. Giroux's always been very responsible defensively. And now he was just starting to put up some amazing numbers.

Hope it's nothing too serious. Both of them, I guess. :thumbup:

This concussion issue is getting really big. I think this issue could bring some epic changes to the game and soon. It will almost certainly be the reason for what looks like the ultimate withdrawal of fighting from the game. The league may actually have go make sweeping changes to physical contact in general, the players have become too fast and reckless for this to continue without very serious injuries or death. If Crosby ends up being Eric Lindros II, it will be an enormous problem for the game. Also, maybe we've just seen the tip of the iceberg. Maybe players are having more concussion's than we ever thought and once they start being able to truly track them, all major sports will have to evaluate the physical play of thier respective games.

In addition to everything thats already been said, the league needs to mandate better head protection for the players - there's much better technology out there (arguably) - who cares what it looks like. Anythings better then having drool wiped from your chin at 45 years old.

Point is, the NHL needs to get in front of this thing before major media does otherwise it could be game over (as we know and love it)

I agree with the lack of respect thing, players seem to have no regard for fellow NHL'ers' well-being anymore. I also think a lot of this has a lot to do with the equipment players are wearing. There's a reason you don't see Bertuzzi making the big hits like other people his size, the pads he wears offer just enough protection to meet the requirements of the NHL. The equipment really does protect players from those crushing body checks, but to do that they have to have hard shells on their shoulders. If we take away the plate armor, you'd see a lot less concussions as as result of head-hunting checks.

Another point was made about being able to detect concussions as well, it wasn't really taken seriously until just a few years ago when QB's in football were taking helmet hits. It's always been the history of a certain condition going on the rise when the means to detect it become widely available.

This is getting nuts.

TSN.ca

When the Ottawa Senators take to the ice tonight to face the Boston Bruins, they will do so without the NHL's leading goal scorer, Milan Michalek.

Senators head coach Paul MacLean confirmed on Wednesday that Michalek suffered a concussion during Tuesday's overtime win against the Buffalo Sabres. He is considered day-to-day.

Michalek, who leads the NHL with 19 goals, left with over five minutes remaining in the second period after colliding with teammate Erik Karlsson.

I'm sure its been said many times but players are so much bigger and faster now that something needs to be done to help prevent this. You can say what you want about "Old Time Hockey" and that fighting shouldnt be banned but there were no 6'7" 260 pound weighlifters playing hockey when Gordie Howe dropped the gloves.

Whip lash is what Cindy has, Giroux could be out for a while.

The NHL is just to fast since the lockout, I think that's the biggest factor with the increased number of concussions. They sped up the games without taking into account it could lead to an increase in injuries.