• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Can Conner reasonably be sent down?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

I'm thinking no. He's more or less rounded out the team's fourth line since coming up from GR, and he's been playing great; Emmerton has basically been bumped out of the lineup as a result.

Thoughts?

Besides Helm, he's the best bottom sixer we have.

I'm with Konnan here. His first game or two, he looked a little sluggish and timid but I think now that he has hit his stride, he gives us great speed and a great scoring threat on the bottom line. At this point, sending him down would just be hampering his ability to develop and get more acclimated to the NHL game pace.

Having both Conner and Helm on the same line is almost unfair to other teams. The game against Pittsburgh was pretty even except when that line was on the ice and they just seemed to dominate on the forecheck. Conner seems to be a slightly less physical version of Helm with a touch more playmaking ability.. If he can keep up this pace there is no way he gets sent down. :thumbup:

Will definitely be interesting when Mursak is ready to go... What will Babcock, Kenny, etc do: Conner, Emmerton, Mursak? Also what will they do when Eaves is ready in a couple months?

Good problem to have, but will be interesting to see what happens

I think with these young guys developing so quickly and at the same time plus having a large cap space. It's got all the ingredients for a trade at the deadline to strengthen our playoff chances. I'm not going to go into who goes where for what cause I don't have enough knowledge to be part of that argument. But its shaping up to have some of our prospects develop and be possibly be put up on the trading block and see if we can't find a replacement for Lids or something along those line.

But agreed, this is a wonderful problem to have especially if they all stay healthy and perform well up to the trade deadline.

Conner has definitely earned a roster spot with his play since being called up, and while it is a good problem to have, we will definitely have a logjam in the bottom 6 once people start getting healthy again. I truly think Emmerton will find himself in GR or claimed off waivers before long, he just doesn't bring anything to the table that we don't already have in our lineup. He doesn't have game-changing speed like Mursak, Conner, or Helm, he doesn't kill penalties better than Miller, Eaves, or Abdelkader, he isn't much of a scoring threat either. I'm glad to see a guy like Conner who shows up and exceeds expectations by simply outworking the competition.

As long as he keeps skating and competing the way has has he deserves to be here. His speed alone creates at couple of odd man breaks a game and his puck protection is suprisingly adequate given his pint sized frame. Hes caught my eye every game hes played thusfar, I hope he sticks around.

As long as he keeps skating and competing the way has has he deserves to be here. His speed alone creates at couple of odd man breaks a game and his puck protection is suprisingly adequate given his pint sized frame. Hes caught my eye every game hes played thusfar, I hope he sticks around.

Exactly.

Knowledge to be in the right place at the right time, speed to break out and rush, presence of mind to cut over to the half boards to open up a lane for Cleary down the center, and the skill to hit Cleary on the tape at the net with everyone going full speed: he had Marc Andre Blurry on that one.

You gotta wonder when a guy like him looks so confident and effective out there, what the heck happenned in Dallas and Pittsburgh that they didn't keep him around?

Do they have a hockey player factory in Livonia or something?

Edited by T.Low

I like the speed he adds to the lineup, cause in the new NHL you can never have enough speed.

Helm and Connor compliment eachother perfectly and I'm pretty pumped to see Mursak on the other wing on that line, or they could play Mursak or Connor on the fourth to spread the speed around and that way keep Abdelkader on the wing because hes much better there.

The bottom 6 hasnt had much energy outside of Helm and ABdelkader for a few years now. Its time to cut dead weight like Miller, Emmerton, Brunnstrom even Eaves maybe and add guys who provide and specialize in something.

Whether its a big hitter like Drake, or some speed demons who can draw penalties, the team is better off without the redundancy of the types of bottom 6ers the wings have got now.

Next year a potential bottom 6 of

Connor Helm Abdelkader

Connor Prust Eaves

would be pretty awesome. You add speed energy and some toughness energy and get an all around better bottom 6. People will always say the 4th line isnt a big deal, but they can be a difference maker especially in a long playoff series

Guest Crymson

Cleary has been doing very well on a line with Conner. He's not the Cleary we're accustomed to, but he can still contribute a lot.

Cleary has been doing very well on a line with Conner. He's not the Cleary we're accustomed to, but he can still contribute a lot.

personally I have thought Cleary has been overrated for a while. But since he's been moved down he's done awesome. Conner is a beast out there, him and helm are a really fun duo to watch.

I like the speed he adds to the lineup, cause in the new NHL you can never have enough speed.

Helm and Connor compliment eachother perfectly and I'm pretty pumped to see Mursak on the other wing on that line, or they could play Mursak or Connor on the fourth to spread the speed around and that way keep Abdelkader on the wing because hes much better there.

The bottom 6 hasnt had much energy outside of Helm and ABdelkader for a few years now. Its time to cut dead weight like Miller, Emmerton, Brunnstrom even Eaves maybe and add guys who provide and specialize in something.

Whether its a big hitter like Drake, or some speed demons who can draw penalties, the team is better off without the redundancy of the types of bottom 6ers the wings have got now.

Next year a potential bottom 6 of

Connor Helm Abdelkader

Connor Prust Eaves

would be pretty awesome. You add speed energy and some toughness energy and get an all around better bottom 6. People will always say the 4th line isnt a big deal, but they can be a difference maker especially in a long playoff series

Man, is Conner ever going to be tired being on both the 3rd and 4th lines. :D

I did have to ask about Prust, as I see his name added to many of your posts. I see everyone on NHL Overtime, and OTF talking about him every night that The Rangers play. I think he's a great 4th liner that probably every team would want on their team. So, I guess my question is, why would Sather let him go any where? And do you really think that Kenny would give up anything close to the offers that Sather could get in a trade for Prust, or do you think that Kenny would throw the kind of money that, say, a Sather type GM would offer as a free agent. I just don't see it happening. And don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a whole line of Brandon Prust's here.

About Conner, I think he's shown that he wants to stay here, and is showing that he can fill the role of a bottom six player as well as anyone down there, save for Helm, maybe Abby. What he lacks in size, he makes up in speed. As stated by a few, a line of Conner,Helm, Mursak could be downright dangerous. Especially when matched up with a line full of big slow bodies. A few more games like he's been playing, and Emmerton is on the chopping block IMO.

I'm thinking no. He's more or less rounded out the team's fourth line since coming up from GR, and he's been playing great; Emmerton has basically been bumped out of the lineup as a result.

Thoughts?

No, No and No. Right now that line is doing great. The issue of course is going to be when Mursak gets healthy, who goes? Who stays? With his performance thus far, I don't think Conner will clear waivers if he gets sent down. Will Emmerton get sent down? He will most likely not clear waivers either. Safe to say Brunnstrom is done, but right now they are at their max for Roster spots, when Mursak is activated they will be one over and someone has to be sent down. Do you think this is when a trade will be done? This is what sucks about this rule, there should be a clause that if a player is being called up to replace an long term injured player, then they shouldn't have to clear waivers going back down, but then that still doesn't help our situation because Conner has earned his stay here and the odds on guy to go down should be Emmerton...this stinks...

Exactly.

Knowledge to be in the right place at the right time, speed to break out and rush, presence of mind to cut over to the half boards to open up a lane for Cleary down the center, and the skill to hit Cleary on the tape at the net with everyone going full speed: he had Marc Andre Blurry on that one.

You gotta wonder when a guy like him looks so confident and effective out there, what the heck happenned in Dallas and Pittsburgh that they didn't keep him around?

Do they have a hockey player factory in Livonia or something?

IMO Conner hasn't stuck with a team because what you see now is what you get. He would be a great fourth liner (not skilled enough for a scoring third line IMO), but many teams use these spots for more physical players. Conner's stay has been extended because of Emmerton's play. With Emmerton out, Abby has to play on the fourth line. Personally, I'd like to see Conner on the fourth line next year, if Homer retires, with a Prust-type on the other wing.

IMO when Mursak is healthy, Conner will likely be sent down. He is a great fourth liner (I know he's been playing on the third line) but I think the Wings will want Mursak to 'show his worth' before the playoffs. Thus, the Wings can have the better player for the the spring. Eaves's return will also increase the pressure to send Conner back to GR.

With all the centers the Wings have, it is surprising that they has too little depth on the bottom two lines. From watching and reading Babcock's interviews, he wants Abby on the wing (third line), but he has to be demoted when Emmerton isn't playing. To me, the most surprising part of the bottom six is how well the fourth line has been. Miller- Abby- Homer isn't a very good line on paper, but they have had many chances. Unfortunately, none of them can finish very well.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, is it gets very complicated once everyone is healthy, and at the end of it all, one of our guys won't be a Wing anymore... when Mursak is back, we'll still be within roster limits, so it'll be fine, but once Eaves is off IR, this is where the complication comes in... if I had to make a guess, I'd put my money on a trade, as none of our roster players are waiver exempt and we shouldn't just give any of them away... all and all though, Conner has been stellar and has earned his spot on the roster

With Mursak returning soon I'd rather see the Wings keep Conner up as long as it's cap possible and just rotate players. I know that can mess up a chemistry but Emmerton has been waiting to be up for a while and granted he hasn't played quite up to par he can't get better if he doesn't play at the NHL level so. I'd rather see a rotation of players if that's possible. On the other hand let's not forget about Brunnstrom and possibly Gustav both have been in the line-up for the Wings at some point this season and haven't done to terribly bad. Maybe give them another look at some point this season.

He's been fantastic, providing a lot of energy, and it's amazing how many turnovers you can create through sheer hard work and energy.

Honestly, he has been a million times more effective than Emmerton or Brunnstrom were this season. I think Emmerton will be waived when everyone is healthy, and I honestly think he might go unclaimed. There is not one single aspect of Cory's game that is outstanding making him easy to replace.

Filppula is going to stay on the wing this season and I think the Wings are stronger for it. That means the Wings bottom six centre options are Helm, Abdelkader, and Emmerton. Just as most posters seem to agree, Emmerton just hasn't done enough. Even though Babcock wants Abdelkader to play wing (and I'd agree that he is more effective on the wing) the Wings are a far better team with Connor as third line winger, Abdelkader as fourth line centre and Emmerton in the press box.

I'd agree that upon return of the injured players (Mursak and Eaves) something will happen with Emmerton. Also, I'd imagine that we'll start seeing Holmstrom get some maintenance days as players get cycled in and out of the line up. At that point I would think we'd see a rotation between Holmstrom, Miller, Eaves, Mursak, and Connor for the 3 open slots.

He's been fantastic, providing a lot of energy, and it's amazing how many turnovers you can create through sheer hard work and energy.

Honestly, he has been a million times more effective than Emmerton or Brunnstrom were this season. I think Emmerton will be waived when everyone is healthy, and I honestly think he might go unclaimed. There is not one single aspect of Cory's game that is outstanding making him easy to replace.

I see him having enough value to at least warrant a low level trade..

We currently have an open spot, so we won't have to send anyone down until Eaves gets back.

Conner has looked good so far, but so did Emmy in his first few games. Right now, I'd have him above Emmy, but that could change in the weeks before Eaves is ready, or we could have more injuries.

It's too early and the sample size is too small to make long term plans with Conner. I think he's earned a spot in the lineup for now. Assuming he keeps it up, I think Emmy, Miller and Homer will rotate with Mursak once he comes back.