• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

It's only Bleacher Report, but still a good list of The 50 Most Popular Teams in Sports. Wings are #9, and highest among NHL teams :thumbup:. Can't argue with that!

http://bleacherrepor...-sports/page/43
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#2 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

It's only Bleacher Report, but still a good list of The 50 Most Popular Teams in Sports. Wings are #9, and highest among NHL teams :thumbup:. Can't argue with that!

http://bleacherrepor...-sports/page/43

And don't forget Michigan at #7, little brother!

#3 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

After going to that, I ended up on this: http://bleacherrepor...-sports/page/16

Of course, The Tuzz get's #1.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#4 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

Are we really ahead of Toronto and Montreal ? :blink:

Edited by Jocke, 14 December 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#5 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

Are we really ahead of Toronto and Montreal ? :blink:

Wings are the best draw on the road.... So yah?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#6 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

Not to sound like a homer, but I think the Wings are more popular than the Canadiens and Leafs. I would think the Wings are the most popular team in America, just look at how they draw on the road (as Konnan said), plus there's a lot of Wings fans in Southern Ontario (the most populated area of Canada by a wide margin).

Seriously outside Canada, who's a Canadiens or Leafs fan? I think the Wings take it, and by a decent lead too.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#7 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

Our bandwagon outweighs Toronto and Montreal, particularly because those two haven't been as relevant for the past 10 years as we have.

bringit.jpg

#8 Toefuzz

Toefuzz

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 464 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

Wow, I never got past the picture they have for Montreal (#15).

#9 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

I have a big problem with this list

The Blackhawks ahead of the Cubs? REALLY? Cubs don't even make it on this list, neither do the Edmonton Oilers (and that guy they had back in the 80's, ol' whats-his-name-zky?) but the Calgary Flames made it?

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#10 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

And don't forget Michigan at #7, little brother!

Ya, there are a ton of Wal-Mart's in this nation, no wonder U of M is so popular. Wal-Mart Wolverines, gotta love em! When is the last time you beat State? Seems like Little Brother ain't so little anymore. Big Brother just sells more hats.

Our bandwagon outweighs Toronto and Montreal, particularly because those two haven't been as relevant for the past 10 20 years as we have.

Fixed...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#11 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

:yowza: at Le Canadien de Montreal!

WTF does Snoop Dogg have to do with the USC Trojans? What did he carjack someone in the parking lot before he made his first record? He was a murderer you do know before he rapped about gin and juice.

And no offense to our fans of Football (Not American Football) but this leads me to believe that this was a world wide poll? Because no way those two soccer teams make the top ten in a North American poll. So that actually gives the Wings the 7th spot and the Yankmes #1.

Edited by LeftWinger, 15 December 2011 - 06:50 AM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#12 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:40 AM

Ya, there are a ton of Wal-Mart's in this nation, no wonder U of M is so popular. Wal-Mart Wolverines, gotta love em! When is the last time you beat State? Seems like Little Brother ain't so little anymore. Big Brother just sells more hats.

Fixed...

go green!
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#13 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:23 AM

And no offense to our fans of Football (Not American Football) but this leads me to believe that this was a world wide poll? Because no way those two soccer teams make the top ten in a North American poll. So that actually gives the Wings the 7th spot and the Yankmes #1.

Well, it does say "in sports", not "in North American sports". Even despite that, I was still not expecting to see Man Utd or Real Madrid in there given the mentality of north American journalists, so props to the author for having the wherewithal to state the truth - Manchester United are the biggest, most popular sports team in the world.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#14 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:01 AM

:yowza: at Le Candien de Montreal!

WTF does Snoop Dogg have to do with the USC Trojans? What did he carjack someone in the parking lot before he made his first record? He was a murderer you do know before he rapped about gin and juice.

It's his fake alma matter. He's also been an honary coach for them a couple times at practice while practicing with the team quite often.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#15 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:15 AM

no way barcelona f.c. drops that low. soccer is the biggest sport in the world and they are the sports best team. that being said i love to see the wings getting cred.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#16 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:25 AM

WTF does Snoop Dogg have to do with the USC Trojans?

He's got a pocket full of rubbers, and his homeboys do too. :D

#17 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

Packers at 5. :sly:
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#18 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:21 PM

Wings are the best draw in the US. Wings also have the most fans in Sweden. Everyone loves Swedish women. therefore, Wings win.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#19 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

In terms of drawing fans for road games, Detroit currently sits at #5 in the NHL, not #1.

#20 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:29 AM

no way barcelona f.c. drops that low. soccer is the biggest sport in the world and they are the sports best team. that being said i love to see the wings getting cred.

It says most popular, not best. No way Barcelona are more popular worldwide than Man Utd.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk