• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#241 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

OK, so the Wings "great play" somehow allowed 4 unanswered goals. But even worse, it appears that the Detroit News has "improved" their website to the extent that they've screwed up the Red Wings forum. Anybody know what those dickheads (the News) have been up to??

3 unanswered, but yeah, I get you.

Unfortunately, I called this loss even before puck drop. I told my buddy during the pre-game that the Red Wings are pretty decent at getting a good streak going, then dropping a game they should almost always win. In this case, we have two blowout wins over the Coyotes and the Jets, and a dominant game over the Penguins, and then we lose off of bad bounces and a couple of poor mistakes by Howard.

I can fully understand the hook he gave though that generated a power play goal by the Predators though. You don't impede the guy a bit, you let him get a better position and the opportunity to pass, maybe even a wraparound, and it's tied right then and there. Unfortunately, Weber's PP goal didn't take too long to happen.

I wouldn't say he played bad though. He had some great saves all night, and then he let in a couple of flukey goals. The first one they had was directly after a phenomenal save. The third goal he almost had in his glove. The fourth one, he couldn't really do much about except create more of an angle for the shot which could have been saved. As the replay showed though, it was a tricky bounce.

Also, this would have been a totally different game had Datsyuk not missed the net on that one attempt. I felt so bad for him because right after that, you could totally see he was using everything he had in the tank to make up for it. That's the type of play I wish him and Zetterberg would show the whole game.

Oh yeah, and Ericsson was absolutely horrendous tonight. How many unforced turnovers did he have?

Posted Image

#242 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

somehow allowed 4 unanswered goals.

negged for incorrect stats

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#243 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Ericsson was hardly the Red Wings worst player tonight. Kronwall and Stuart were both -3 and didn't cover anyone from Nashville the entire game. Ericsson coughed the puck up a couple times, but what else is new? A second pairing playing that poorly will cost you far more than a third pairing d-man with a few turnovers.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#244 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,613 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

Watched the game at the bar.....bad luck on the GWG. Oh well.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#245 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

Some of you guys are overreacting here big time. The Wings played a perfect road game for the most part. Yah, there were some mistakes made by Howard, but he has played lights out all season so he is entitled to a bad game every now and then. The thing that stuck out to me is that there were times tonight where Kronners and Stu looked lost in our end. They just kind of scramble around the zone when they play together for some reason, so look for Babs to split them up.

- Lidstrom and White were fantastic tonight. Weber had a good night, but I think Nick's all around play showed why he is still the best defenseman in the game
- Pavel had another great game. Sure he missed the open net, but that happens and he has been our best player for the last long while and is slowly getting close to 1st place in points in the league. That entire first line has been outstanding. Highlight of my night was Pavs knocking Weber down... I laughed so hard
- Zetterberg is really coming to form with shooting the puck and controlling play... it is really nice to see
- Ericsson has got to go. I am so tired of his lame play. He simply has no potential imo. If we can somehow create a package deal for Semin that invovles Ericsson going the other way, please pull the trigger Kenny.

Bottom line is that we saw many good things from the Wings tonight, and I am not worried one bit about this team

#246 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

Kinda glad I missed this one.

Hate seeing the Wings dominate and lose because of bad breaks or plays by certain players. Oh well. On to the next.

Posted Image

#247 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:07 AM

The Red Wings were a long shot better than the Preds all night long. Our top 2 lines were outstanding. I thought the 4th line SUCKED though and they missed coverage too many times in our own end. Also, as I said earlier, the bottom 4 dmen had a pretty bad night, and Howard was not as good as we are used to seeing. Nashville got very lucky to win this game, but by no means should we start turning on the Wings players and say this is 2010 all over again. I think Barry Trotz said it best earlier today... this season the Wings are playing like the 2008 Cup winning team for the first time since they won the cup and this loss tonight was pretty much the only way that team lost games in 2008 (losing games even though they were clearly the better team). I expect the Wings will come out strong at the Joe saturday.

What'd Kindl do wrong?? I thought he had another good game.

I agree with everything else you said. Can we put Abby back to centre and put Tatar on the wing? Emmerton needs to not see the ice unless we are down to 11 fit players.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#248 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

Not happy about this loss at all. Regardless, I think this is our best team since '09. We look good even when we lose like today. I probably won't say this again and this seems like as random a spot as any to say it but I honestly think this team is in for a cup run. I'm not afraid to say it after a meaningless regular season loss. We look good. Damn good. Howard will be key.

#249 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:40 AM

I know this probably isn't right when you go by the numbers but it always seems like the Wings lose in Nashville. Or maybe it's just that the losses in Nashville seem to more memorable than most. Ugh. f*** that.

#250 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

Some of you guys are overreacting here big time. The Wings played a perfect road game for the most part. Yah, there were some mistakes made by Howard, but he has played lights out all season so he is entitled to a bad game every now and then. The thing that stuck out to me is that there were times tonight where Kronners and Stu looked lost in our end. They just kind of scramble around the zone when they play together for some reason, so look for Babs to split them up.

- Lidstrom and White were fantastic tonight. Weber had a good night, but I think Nick's all around play showed why he is still the best defenseman in the game
- Pavel had another great game. Sure he missed the open net, but that happens and he has been our best player for the last long while and is slowly getting close to 1st place in points in the league. That entire first line has been outstanding. Highlight of my night was Pavs knocking Weber down... I laughed so hard
- Zetterberg is really coming to form with shooting the puck and controlling play... it is really nice to see
- Ericsson has got to go. I am so tired of his lame play. He simply has no potential imo. If we can somehow create a package deal for Semin that invovles Ericsson going the other way, please pull the trigger Kenny.

Bottom line is that we saw many good things from the Wings tonight, and I am not worried one bit about this team

LOL! We both got negged twice for stating the obvious. Either someone doesn't think Jimmy made a few mistakes (hey, he is human, it's not like we said he sucks) or we have an Ericsson slappy who is appalled by anyone saying something bad about the worst defender on the team. Anyhow your analysis is just as accurate as mine was as was a few others tonight. Great game played overall, Howard showed he was human today, so what, it's not like he is slumping, it's one game. And Ericsson just proved again that he is not worth his NTC overpayment contract...anyhow, I gave ya a +1 because nobody who gives out negg's is man/or woman enough to say why and debate why. Spineless, slappies...

Edited by LeftWinger, 16 December 2011 - 07:37 AM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#251 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

Haha absolutely. I truly feel comfortable enough, for the first time since 2009, to say that this team has all the tools in the shed for a strong run at the Cup, Babcock just needs to look at what we say to fix the little problems from last night. Nashville always seems to get lucky bounces in their barn against us but "we make our own luck" and nashville did exactly what they had to do to win the game, so cudos to them. This may be breaking news to some posters in this forum, but no team wins every single game and losing the way we did last night is nothing to be ashamed of. The Wings will learn from it next game and if they win that I am sure all of these jabs at Howard and such will be long forgotten by some of you.

#252 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,264 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

Few untimely giveaways, turnovers, and face-off losses is what caused the demise.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#253 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

I think this is our best team since '09. We look good even when we lose like today.

I truly feel comfortable enough, for the first time since 2009, to say that this team has all the tools in the shed for a strong run at the Cup, Babcock just needs to look at what we say to fix the little problems from last night.

Absolutely. Even though it wasn't last night, the defense is the best it has been in the past few years and Howard is having a great year. Plenty of depth, good defense, good goalie, Datsyuk playing out of his mind on almost every night, lots to be optimistic about.

#254 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

I'm not happy about the Preds winning but it it was it is. What I'm still very pissed about is how the Nashville fans can taunt Jimmy when they are down 3-2 in the game and than they did it again when they tied it. I consider the GWG a Fluky goal but for the fans to get rewarded after that display of pure idiocy just sucks. I mean I've taunted goalies before like those chants they were doing last night but when I do it it's usually in a game where my team is winning by more than 4 goals and I've only ever done it at a Minor League or Junior League games. I've never taunted an NHL Goalie. I know that's probably the least of our worries but stuff like that just really pisses me off. Fuggin Red-Neck HillBilly Deluxe Mother F*!%ers. Sorry just blowing off some steam I just didn't like that one bit. I hate playing Nashville anytime but they are a good team I'll give them that. Go Wings!!

#255 Mason

Mason

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

We played a good game last night. Too bad it didn't turn out in the Wings' favor, but what hurts the most is losing in front of those Nashville fans. They chanted "you suck" more than they cheered their own team on.

#256 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

I don't think the loss is a big deal. This loss is different than their losing streak ones. They still played a pretty solid game, but couldn't close it out. As long as they keep playing well they'll win most of these games.

#257 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#258 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

It sucked to watch that, but I think we can rebound from it pretty well; that was more of an "off-night" game than a "we've been making the same mistakes for the last 4 games now and still haven't figured it out" kind of game. I'm glad we scored 3 scored goals, anyway...usually our problem with the Preds is that we can't get any offense going. I'm also glad we're not in the position of having to worry about Howard long-term...it's so nice to be pretty sure that he's going to come back extra fired-up in the next game.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#259 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,613 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

Barry Trotz believes the Wings are playing like it's 2008.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#260 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

Barry Trotz believes the Wings are playing like it's 2008.

Quite the compliment. The 2008 Red Wings were a juggernaut in every sense. I don't think the Red Wings now are quite at that sustained level (yet), but this team now resembles 2008 more than any since that time.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."