• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

As someone who preached "maintaining the culture" for years, it's much too late to late for that now. "The culture" is gone. What's losing 5, 10, 20 extra games with Howard in net? Who cares. It's pointless. This season is a meaningless march into the grave with or without Bernier.

Get the picks if you can.

IMHO we are on the 5-10 year plan. This team is at the very least a half decade of retooling away from being something with a semblance of competency. I do not trust we will find anything of great value in Holland's recent drafts, and Yzerman only has one under his belt. Seider is a great building block, and maybe we will have more gems in that draft, but Yzerman needs another 3 solid building blocks at least. That could very well take him 3 more drafts to do, with multiple years of development on top of that. That's if all goes exactly to plan.

Precisely. This teams "core" is completely and utterly overrated. Larkin is not a Fedorov, Yzerman, Datsyuk, or Zetterberg. Hronek is not a Lidstrom, Rafalski, Fetisov, or Coffey. Bertuzzi is not his uncle and will probably be nothing more than a decent top6 winger. Mantha is the one I have the most hope for at this point at being elite, but we will now be going into next season with a 26 year old Mantha who has never breached 50 pts.

I would have absolutely no problem with Yzerguy flipping any of these players for something else or picks at the deadline. f*** em.

I think everyone here has considered you a "prospect slappy" since you joined the website. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm a Franzen-slappy, Howard-slappy, and Seider-slappy. I'll die for my boys.

I'll explain my POV on Larkin, Zadina, Cholowski, Biega, and Ehn.

Larkin: His job: 1C. What he's actually capable of: 2C. Therefore he sucks at his job and needs to be demoted as soon as we have someone better who we can put on top of him.

Zadina: What we needed and I wanted out of a #3 ranked #6 drafted player: Elite scoring winger. What he actually is: 2nd line winger. Therefore I'm butthurt about this pick and why Holland didn't ignore the hype and go with a Dman like Hughes.

Cholwoski: For a player that's already played 85 games in the NHL, I can barely stand to watch him play with the Griffins. He's sloppy, dumb, panicky, and bad defensively. Maybe the organization thought he would survive trial by fire like Hronek did? But he didn't, and I expect more from a 1st round Dman who's been given this much playing time already. I think he should be sunk into the AHL till something changes with him, and that's understandably sucky and disappointing at this point.

Biega: His job: 7D. What he's actually capable of: 7D. Therefore I have no problems with this guy. He busts is butt every play and that's about all you can want or should expect from a 7D.

Ehn: His job: 4C. What he's actually capable of: 4C. Therefore I have no problems with this guy. He's strong defensively and makes smart decisions and that's about all you can want or should expect from a 4C. I also think this player has the potential to be a 3rd line shutdown guy at some point, which would be nice.

Spot on!  I would add if we had another Larkinesque player we'd have an acceptable 2C/2C tandem.

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

So what makes me a "prospect slappy"? The fact that I'm one of the few here that watches Griffins games on a regular basis? I guess I'm a Cholowski slappy because I say he "doesn't suck"? If that's the case, then yeah, I am a "prospect slappy". I don't agree with giving up on 20/21 year old prospects. Does that mean I think Cholowski is going to be a top pair defenseman? No, but I do think he will be an NHL defenseman. Would I trade him in the right deal? Absolutely.

I think the reason you and some others may think of me as a "prospect slappy" is the same reason you consider yourself a "slappy". Irrational hate on players. I don't think you ever would have become a "Franzen slappy" or a "Howard slappy" if so many fans didn't hate on them. 

Dont pat yourself on the back too much. A lot of folks watch the griffs as much as you do partner.

You rode Smith into the grave despite him verifiably sucking

You rode Jurco into the grave despite him verifiably sucking

You rode Mrazek into the grave despite him verifiably sucking

You're about to ride Cholo into the grave despite him verifiably sucking.

At least Franzen was a good player. Howard WAS a good player. And Seider will be a good player.

Just own it my man. Ur the prospect slappy whether u like it or not at this point lol.

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

This may be the dumbest thing I've read in a while. Player A, the best player on the team, sucks because you think he's playing over his head in a role he's not good enough for. Player B, one of the worst players on the team, is awesome because he can actually play the role of a 4th liner... Yeah, okay.

Larkin is a legitimate 1C, that needs help on his wings. Zadina is a legitimate top six (with potential to become a top line) winger, that needs a quality center. Cholowski is a young, unestablished defenseman with potential to become a bottom four defenseman. Biega sucks, but I do agree that he's an ideal 7th defenseman. Ehn is a replaceable 4th line center / winger. 

Some of you think (for whatever reason) that Yzerman is going to purge Holland's old roster. Get rid of Larkin. Get rid of Mantha. Get rid of Athanasiou. But whatever you do, do NOT get rid of Ehn...

You completely failed to grasp my point.

I'll put this into canadian terms for you. There are 10 tim bit makers at a tim hortons. The best tim bit maker is promoted to manager. He is an awful manager and in way over his head. Despite this, he is still the best tim bit maker. The 9 remaining regular tim bit makers are completely competant at making tim bits. Who is the problem here?

13 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'll explain my POV on Larkin, Zadina, Cholowski, Biega, and Ehn.

Larkin: His job: 1C. What he's actually capable of: 2C. Therefore he sucks at his job and needs to be demoted as soon as we have someone better who we can put on top of him.

Zadina: What we needed and I wanted out of a #3 ranked #6 drafted player: Elite scoring winger. What he actually is: 2nd line winger. Therefore I'm butthurt about this pick and why Holland didn't ignore the hype and go with a Dman like Hughes.

Cholwoski: For a player that's already played 85 games in the NHL, I can barely stand to watch him play with the Griffins. He's sloppy, dumb, panicky, and bad defensively. Maybe the organization thought he would survive trial by fire like Hronek did? But he didn't, and I expect more from a 1st round Dman who's been given this much playing time already. I think he should be sunk into the AHL till something changes with him, and that's understandably sucky and disappointing at this point.

Biega: His job: 7D. What he's actually capable of: 7D. Therefore I have no problems with this guy. He busts is butt every play and that's about all you can want or should expect from a 7D.

Ehn: His job: 4C. What he's actually capable of: 4C. Therefore I have no problems with this guy. He's strong defensively and makes smart decisions and that's about all you can want or should expect from a 4C. I also think this player has the potential to be a 3rd line shutdown guy at some point, which would be nice.

I tentatively agree with most of this, though I haven't entirely given up on Cholowski yet.

Do you honestly believe Zadina has peaked after 30-something NHL games though? It just seems silly to label a 20 year old player so confidently, so early in his career, when he already seems to fit into a top 6 role. The kid is still riddled with acne all the time, why don't you give him a second to actually turn into a man.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that we weren't taking Hughes regardless and were going to take Bouchard anyways. So even if they didn't "buy into the hype" (I don't believe this happens) it's not like we were guaranteed to be better off. We obviously won't know that for years. 

5 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Cholowski sent down

Might as well play ericsson daley biega every game see if we can pick up some cases of beer

I think this is stupid for the simple reason that Daley is far and away this team's worst dman imo. I haven't delved into the stats, but just eyeballing it he seems to make the most egregious gaffes at the most consistent level.

10 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I tentatively agree with most of this, though I haven't entirely given up on Cholowski yet.

Do you honestly believe Zadina has peaked after 30-something NHL games though? It just seems silly to label a 20 year old player so confidently, so early in his career, when he already seems to fit into a top 6 role. The kid is still riddled with acne all the time, why don't you give him a second to actually turn into a man.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that we weren't taking Hughes regardless and were going to take Bouchard anyways. So even if they didn't "buy into the hype" (I don't believe this happens) it's not like we were guaranteed to be better off. We obviously won't know that for years. 

My mind isn't changing on Zadina. Another B grade top 6 forward IMO. Not what needed with that pick. Not what I wanted out of that pick.

Bouchard is actually the Dman I wanted prior to the draft. We'll see how they both turnout. 

4 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I think this is stupid for the simple reason that Daley is far and away this team's worst dman imo. I haven't delved into the stats, but just eyeballing it he seems to make the most egregious gaffes at the most consistent level.

Dont disagree with you , but maybe some gm thinks hed be differenr on a team that isnt dead last? Pierre mcguire is a moron but he said yesterday this could be a big trade deadline for yzerman that defines the wings future (load of bs) and said we have a ton of playoff guys team would covet and named daley and glendening 

Just need one gm ....marco scandella got a 4th so we’ll see what happens but maybe we can recoup a 4th rounder for him . We’ll see

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'll put this into canadian terms for you. There are 10 tim bit makers at a tim hortons. The best tim bit maker is promoted to manager. He is an awful manager and in way over his head. Despite this, he is still the best tim bit maker. The 9 remaining regular tim bit makers are completely competant at making tim bits. Who is the problem here?

Zadina?

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

We signed some 25 year old apparently from the khl . Meh 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/33935/malte-stromwall

What kind of name is that? Sounds like a character a wannabe novelist comes up with.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 4:46 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Dont pat yourself on the back too much. A lot of folks watch the griffs as much as you do partner.

You rode Smith into the grave despite him verifiably sucking

You rode Jurco into the grave despite him verifiably sucking

You rode Mrazek into the grave despite him verifiably sucking

You're about to ride Cholo into the grave despite him verifiably sucking.

At least Franzen was a good player. Howard WAS a good player. And Seider will be a good player.

Just own it my man. Ur the prospect slappy whether u like it or not at this point lol.

I'm aware that a lot of people watch Griffins games, but I doubt there are many here that watch regularly. I know of one, and that's @Wheelchairsuperhero. Are there any others?

I've admitted several times that I rode Smith too hard, too long. Get the f*** over it dude. I always thought Jurco could be a middle six winger. It's not like I thought he was this elite winger. I would have back then, and still would today, with hindsight, protected Mrazek over Howard. You disagree, because you're a Howard slappy. No big deal. I'm about to ride Cholowski into the Grave? Yeah, real bold statement saying "he doesn't suck". How will I ever come back from that?

You (and 91ryan) say that I'm a "prospect slappy", but then say I'm too low on guys like Ehn, and Rasmussen, and Berggren, and Lindstrom, and McIsaac, and whoever else. It can't be both. A "prospect slappy", would overhype all prospects. I don't. For the most part, I hype (maybe overhype) the high-end, skilled prospects. If you want to call me a Veleno slappy, or a Seider slappy, go for it. But there have been MANY prospect I've called out. That in my opinion, doesn't make me a "pRoSpEcT sLaPpY"...

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 4:46 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You completely failed to grasp my point.

Oh, I completely got your "point". It's just dumb as s***.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:17 PM, The 91 of Ryans said:

You're a prospect slappy. Which is fine. But you're bad at it sometimes. And too linear in thought.

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You (and 91ryan) say that I'm a "prospect slappy", but then say I'm too low on guys like Ehn, and Rasmussen, and Berggren, and Lindstrom, and McIsaac, and whoever else. It can't be both. A "prospect slappy", would overhype all prospects. I don't. For the most part, I hype (maybe overhype) the high-end, skilled prospects. If you want to call me a Veleno slappy, or a Seider slappy, go for it. But there have been MANY prospect I've called out. That in my opinion, doesn't make me a "pRoSpEcT sLaPpY"...

Above. That's actually what I said. You are a slappy. You just pick the wrong guys to ooze over sometimes. And when you've chosen, boy oh boy. Good luck getting you to change your mind. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

19 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Above. That's actually what I said. You are a slappy. You just pick the wrong guys to ooze over sometimes. And when you've chosen, boy oh boy. Good luck getting you to change your mind. 

Keep pointing to guys I "oozed over" like 5 years ago... :rolleyes:

Name one player I've "oozed over" recently, that I was wrong about, and refused to change my mind?

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Keep pointing to guys I "oozed over" like 5 years ago... :rolleyes:

Name one player I've "oozed over" recently, that I was wrong about, and refused to change my mind?

You're wrong about how good Veleno is vs Rasmussen. For one. You know, to this day I'm not even sure how you form your opinion on these players. It's like you randomly decide on draft day to unconditionally like or not like a player. And then you are unwavering in the face of indicators and logic.  

And why can't you just say that Cholowski is no good? It's OK. Teams miss on 1st rounders all the time. I was high on him. But now I'm not. Feels good to let go sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You're wrong about how good Veleno is vs Rasmussen. For one.

Says you... I think Veleno has a higher ceiling. We shall see.

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You know, to this day I'm not even sure how you form your opinion on these players. It's like you randomly decide on draft day to unconditionally like or not like a player. And then you are unwavering in the face of indicators and logic.  

And why can't you just say that Cholowski is no good? It's OK. Teams miss on 1st rounders all the time. I was high on him. But now I'm not. Feels good to let go sometimes. 

Because there's so many indicators out there that I should waver on my opinion of Veleno right? Everyone knows how high I was on Veleno on draft day. I wanted to trade up into the middle of the 1st round to grab him. He, of course, fell to us. I was pumped back then, and he hasn't done anything to sway my opinion since then.

Everyone also knows how down I was on the Rasmussen pick on draft day. I felt there were much better players available at that pick (there were). Since then, I've done a complete 180 on him, and think he will be a very good middle six winger (maybe center).

So yes, I do change my opinions. I don't however, turn on a player just because they're struggling early in their career. Do I hold on to hope a little too long at times? Maybe. Do some people turn on players too quick, only to make them look like idiots? Absolutely.

You're trying to call me out for not changing my opinions from draft day, but then you go on to site Cholowski's draft position in a way to prove he hasn't been good enough, or he's been a disappointment? I've said several times that he hasn't been good enough. I just don't agree with completely giving up on the kid this early in his development. You already have. Cool. Some have also given up on Larkin. And Mantha. And Zadina... I think that's dumb, but whatever.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm aware that a lot of people watch Griffins games, but I doubt there are many here that watch regularly. I know of one, and that's @Wheelchairsuperhero. Are there any others?

I've admitted several times that I rode Smith too hard, too long. Get the f*** over it dude. I always thought Jurco could be a middle six winger. It's not like I thought he was this elite winger. I would have back then, and still would today, with hindsight, protected Mrazek over Howard. You disagree, because you're a Howard slappy. No big deal. I'm about to ride Cholowski into the Grave? Yeah, real bold statement saying "he doesn't suck". How will I ever come back from that?

Oh, I completely got your "point". It's just dumb as s***.

They're not stripes, they're LINES! Says the Zebra

lol

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Says you... I think Veleno has a higher ceiling. We shall see.

Well, they are only 9 months apart in age. Rasmussen is currently at 0.8PPG and -1 while Veleno is 0.4PPG and -21. He also has a higher ceiling and a higher floor offensively based just on size alone. 

But hey, you liked Veleno a lot on draft day, so I guess he'll be better. 

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Well, they are only 9 months apart in age. Rasmussen is currently at 0.8PPG and -1 while Veleno is 0.4PPG and -21. He also has a higher ceiling and a higher floor offensively based just on size alone. 

But hey, you liked Veleno a lot on draft day, so I guess he'll be better. 

Rasmussen is "ONLY" 9 months older than Veleno.

Lafreniere is a "WHOLE" 10 months older than Byfield.

Rasmussen is playing his 2nd year pro. Veleno is playing his 1st year pro. There is a difference.

Veleno still wouldn't even be eligible to play in the AHL if it weren't for his exceptional status.

Rasmussen pick was a mistake , especially considering how f***en s*** our d has been since lidstrom retired and we had 3 good ones available (which is why yzerman went hard last draft with dmen in the first 2 rounds thx to hollands f*** ups ) Rasmussen is a 3rd liner with usage upfront on the ppl due to his size if veleno ends up being a 3rd liner or worse itll be a bad pick 

4 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Rasmussen pick was a mistake , especially considering how f***en s*** our d has been since lidstrom retired and we had 3 good ones available (which is why yzerman went hard last draft with dmen in the first 2 rounds thx to hollands f*** ups ) Rasmussen is a 3rd liner with usage upfront on the ppl due to his size if veleno ends up being a 3rd liner or worse itll be a bad pick 

Red Wings will never live down picking Rasmussen over Brannstrom. We know. It's been your pinned tweet for months.

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

What's the connection?

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Rasmussen is playing his 2nd year pro. Veleno is playing his 1st year pro. There is a difference.

Veleno still wouldn't even be eligible to play in the AHL if it weren't for his exceptional status.

Ras was a 0.3 PPG player in the NHL last year. Veleno's 0.4PPG in the AHL. Pretty close. A lot closer than the double PPG rate Ras has over Joe this yer in the same league. 

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What's the connection?

I thought it was obvious... You can't have it both ways...

9 months isn't a big difference between Rasmussen and Veleno, but 10 months is a huge difference between Lafreniere and Byfield...