• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You have become more powerful than I could possibly imagine

One day were gonna do Seider v. Larkin aren't we? Today isn't that day, but I'll bide my time and be ready.

Probably not. I think Seider will at least be as good, possibly better than Larkin at his position. That doesn't mean Seider should be or will be captain over Larkin.

3 minutes ago, mackel said:

Nice assumption BUT NO; Actually I've never been more than lukewarm on Larkin... last offseason I'd have gone from "absolutely not" to "f*** if we have to"...

I think Seider, in a very short time, has shown he has a much more engaging personality and a higher level of maturity.

I'd love to bring in an aging leader for 2-3 years to serve as captain or resign Glendenning for 2-3 years as captain to bridge to Seider. 

Like I said, you might as well get used to the idea of Larkin becoming captain, because at this point, it's inevitable.

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Probably not. I think Seider will at least be as good, possibly better than Larkin at his position. That doesn't mean Seider should be or will be captain over Larkin.

Like I said, you might as well get used to the idea of Larkin becoming captain, because at this point, it's inevitable.

The only reason you want Larkin to be captain is because he's the best young player on the team. That's a simp approach to leadership. Besides scoring a moderate amount of points he's displayed no real leadership qualities that make me think he's deserving of the honor. This was his season to grab the bull by the horns and instead he was just another passenger in the lineup.

Seider is an 18 year old AHL defensive phenom bursting at the gills with personality and leadership. Naming Larkin captain before Seider joins the roster and claims the title as leader would be the most short-sighted mistake Yzerman could possibly commit. Frankly I don't think any Wings player deserves to be awarded with such a title after this wretched season anyway.

32 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I think it's far from inevitable...  I think it speaks volumes that despite shortsighted fans clamoring for him to be captain for 2 years it's not happened. 

Too much coke, too many outbursts, the personality of a paper plate #notmycaptain

22 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The only reason you want Larkin to be captain is because he's the best young player on the team. That's a simp approach to leadership. Besides scoring a moderate amount of points he's displayed no real leadership qualities that make me think he's deserving of the honor. This was his season to grab the bull by the horns and instead he was just another passenger in the lineup.

When did I say I wanted Larkin to be named captain? I simply think that's what's going to happen, regardless of what any fans think of the decision.

Seider is an 18 year old AHL defensive phenom bursting at the gills with personality and leadership. Naming Larkin captain before Seider joins the roster and claims the title as leader would be the most short-sighted mistake Yzerman could possibly commit. Frankly I don't think any Wings player deserves to be awarded with such a title after this wretched season anyway.

Larkin was also a player of similar qualities at the same age.

The bold, I kind of agree with...

47 minutes ago, mackel said:

I think it's far from inevitable...  I think it speaks volumes that despite shortsighted fans clamoring for him to be captain for 2 years it's not happened. 

Too much coke, too many outbursts, the personality of a paper plate #notmycaptain

I think it also speaks volumes that pretty much everyone close to the organization has said "Larkin will be the next Red Wings captain". Also, the fact that Yzerman said that there will be a captain named next season. It's most definitely not going to be a rookie defenseman that has yet to play a single game in the NHL. It also won't be any of the current alternate captains (Abdelkader, Glendening, Nielsen). Larkin will be named captain. Mark it. 

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

When did I say I wanted Larkin to be named captain? I simply think that's what's going to happen, regardless of what any fans think of the decision.

K who do you WANT to be captain?

I respectfully disagree. Larkin is a fine young man, but he seems to have the same cookie cutter personality that most pro NHLers have. Nothing really jumps off the page about him.

Seider on the other hand is charismatic and extremely vocal with his teammates on the ice in all situations. Larkin can be vocal too, but it's mostly when he's mad at a ref or slamming his stick. Seider has personality and leadership written all over him. If some guys can be "lockerroom cancer" Seider is "lockerroom chemo" for lack of a better phrase.

I think it also speaks volumes that pretty much everyone close to the organization has said "Larkin will be the next Red Wings captain". Also, the fact that Yzerman said that there will be a captain named next season. It's most definitely not going to be a rookie defenseman that has yet to play a single game in the NHL. It also won't be any of the current alternate captains (Abdelkader, Glendening, Nielsen). Larkin will be named captain. Mark it. 

I would sincerely be okay with Glendening being named captain next season. He's older, extremely respected by the organization (seemingly by both Holland and Yzerman's organizations), plays the game "the right way", and seems to have a between the lines off ice life. 5 years of a rebuild with Glendening as C, then moving to a younger (but now matured and established) player like Seider would make a lot of sense in my mind.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

23 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

The bold, I kind of agree with...

You're probably right... that doesn't mean I have to like or even accept what I think is a very, very bad choice.

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

K who do you WANT to be captain?

I don't really care a whole lot, but with who is available, probably Larkin.

9 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I respectfully disagree. Larkin is a fine young man, but he seems to have the same cookie cutter personality that most pro NHLers have. Nothing really jumps off the page about him.

Seider on the other hand is charismatic and extremely vocal with his teammates on the ice in all situations. Larkin can be vocal too, but it's mostly when he's mad at a ref or slamming his stick. Seider has personality and leadership written all over him. If some guys can be "lockerroom cancer" Seider is "lockerroom chemo" for lack of a better phrase.

"The same cookie cutter personality that most pro NHLers have" is exactly what will make him the next captain, like it or not. Also, Larkin is and always has been captain material. The day he was drafted, I remember several people talking about his leadership qualities and how he will likely be a captain some day.

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I would sincerely be okay with Glendening being named captain next season. He's older, extremely respected by the organization (seemingly by both Holland and Yzerman's organizations), plays the game "the right way", and seems to have a between the lines off ice life. 5 years of a rebuild with Glendening as C, then moving to a younger (but now matured and established) player like Seider would make a lot of sense in my mind.

Naming Glendening captain would be an awful decision in my opinion. I'm not one of those that believes the best player should always be named captain, but I do think that a 4th line grinder should never be named captain...

3 minutes ago, mackel said:

You're probably right... that doesn't mean I have to like or even accept what I think is a very, very bad choice.

What would make naming Larkin captain a "very, very bad choice"? Assuming there is a captain going to be named prior to next season, who would YOU like to see named?

1 hour ago, mackel said:

jonathan-toews-2020-35.jpgYou rang?

20 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

...so why did you make the contention that Larkin isn't who you WANT to be captain lol? You do want him to be captain, so just own that and quit beating around the bush.

22 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

"The same cookie cutter personality that most pro NHLers have" is exactly what will make him the next captain, like it or not. Also, Larkin is and always has been captain material. The day he was drafted, I remember several people talking about his leadership qualities and how he will likely be a captain some day.

Yes Larkin has been talked about as the heir apparent, but that was before Seider entered the fold.

Larkin being an average NHLer and therefore a good candidate for C is a fair take, if you want an average run of the mill captain. I think Seider has the chops to be tier 1 captain, and I'd hate to create the internal debacle where Larkin has the C, yet the true leader in the lockeroom is someone else.

27 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Naming Glendening captain would be an awful decision in my opinion. I'm not one of those that believes the best player should always be named captain, but I do think that a 4th line grinder should never be named captain...

This team is 5 years, maybe more, from playoff contention. Glendening is a perfect stop gap captain and role model, and his remaining career looks to fit in perfectly with that time frame. Larkin or Seider can then take the mantle cleanly in a few years when they are more matured and established.

If Larkin was the second coming of Yzerman I'd be all for hoisting the burden on to him already, but he's nowhere near Yzerman level.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

What would make naming Larkin captain a "very, very bad choice"? Assuming there is a captain going to be named prior to next season, who would YOU like to see named?

I already did, you're arguing with someone else about what I said ATM.

...so why did you make the contention that Larkin isn't who you WANT to be captain lol? You do want him to be captain, so just own that and quit beating around the bush.

Yes Larkin has been talked about as the heir apparent, but that was before Seider entered the fold.

Larkin being an average NHLer and therefore a good candidate for C is a fair take, if you want an average run of the mill captain. I think Seider has the chops to be tier 1 captain, and I'd hate to create the internal debacle where Larkin has the C, yet the true leader in the lockeroom is someone else.

This team is 5 years, maybe more, from playoff contention. Glendening is a perfect stop gap captain and role model, and his remaining career looks to fit in perfectly with that time frame. Larkin or Seider can then take the mantle cleanly in a few years when they are more matured and established.

If Larkin was the second coming of Yzerman I'd be all for hoisting the burden on to him already, but he's nowhere near Yzerman level.

Glenny would be a find captain, but he'd have to commit to the team during the summer first. He won't be named a captain heading to UFA the following summer. He'd be trade deadline bait. 

4 hours ago, mackel said:

Nice assumption BUT NO; Actually I've never been more than lukewarm on Larkin... last offseason I'd have gone from "absolutely not" to "f*** if we have to"...

I think Seider, in a very short time, has shown he has a much more engaging personality and a higher level of maturity.

I'd love to bring in an aging leader for 2-3 years to serve as captain or resign Glendenning for 2-3 years as captain to bridge to Seider. 

History tells us that things don't go well when you put Germans in charge.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

That was one of the reasons he was chosen with that pick IIRC

All this arguing about captains. It's gonna be Lafreniere, fools. After winning rookie of the year in another season without a C, he will be named captain (of the Red Wings, smart ass who wants to reply with "of the Ottawa Senators) heading into the 21/22 season.

14 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

All this arguing about captains. It's gonna be Lafreniere, fools. After winning rookie of the year in another season without a C, he will be named captain (of the Red Wings, smart ass who wants to reply with "of the Ottawa Senators) heading into the 21/22 season.

Rossi_OTT-1024x600.jpg

hi-res-1533792_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=42

53 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Me thinks Grand Master Y will do a few things in these upcoming months...

1) Fire Blashill.

2) Draft Stutzle since we'll drop our usual 2, or 3 spots.

3) Hold off on handing out the 'C' throughout the 2020/2021 season in order to give Seider an opportunity to show what he's capable of...Me thinks he could be our next 'Kapitän'.

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

Me thinks Grand Master Y will do a few things in these upcoming months...

1) Fire Blashill.

2) Draft Stutzle since we'll drop our usual 2, or 3 spots.

3) Hold off on handing out the 'C' throughout the 2020/2021 season in order to give Seider an opportunity to show what he's capable of...Me thinks he could be our next 'Kapitän'.

My enthusiasm for Stutzle has cooled. My preference, in order, would be Laf, Byfield, Rossi, then Stutzle.

Just now, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

My enthusiasm for Stutzle has cooled. My preference, in order, would be Laf, Byfield, Rossi, then Stutzle.

I'll be the 1st to admit ignorance on the prospects, but if I remember correctly - wasn't Grand Master Y in Europe with the scouts a few months ago  - heavy speculation of looking in particular at Stutzle?

I say cut to the chase, and give us the 1st overall pick, but we all know that won't happen.

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I'll be the 1st to admit ignorance on the prospects, but if I remember correctly - wasn't Grand Master Y in Europe with the scouts a few months ago  - heavy speculation of looking in particular at Stutzle?

I say cut to the chase, and give us the 1st overall pick, but we all know that won't happen.

I'm sure Yzerman is watching all the top prospects, but yeah he was spotted in Mannheim with Hakan Andersson. Sure seems like there may be some serious interest there.

Stutzle and Seider are also apparently good friends IRL. That possible chemistry alone makes me wanna take a chance on him.

Like Lidstrom/Holmstrom it'll be Seider/Stutzle

11 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Byfield, more like BUSTfield

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm sure Yzerman is watching all the top prospects, but yeah he was spotted in Mannheim with Hakan Andersson. Sure seems like there may be some serious interest there.

Stutzle and Seider are also apparently good friends IRL. That possible chemistry alone makes me wanna take a chance on him.

Like Lidstrom/Holmstrom it'll be Seider/Stutzle

Agreed.

Frederik Handemark signing with SJS

Not a huge deal, but we were at least rumored to be in the mix of teams in on him. Sure seems like Yzerman may have just chosen Kadeykin instead.

Speaking of Kadeykin, one of the reasons he's so old already I realized is that he was passed up on in the draft two years in a row. Then Holland took him with a 7th at 20 years old. My initial thought is, why waste a draft pick on a player like this when you can just sign him in the offseason? Maybe Holland was worried another team would pick him up sometime between 2016 and 2020? IDK