• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

So then you should realize the NHL needs a new TV deal in order to generate future revenue. And short term loss may be required for future gains. 

Tell that to owners who have already stated they cannot afford a season without ticket sales. I'm just going by what's been said in recent news over a guy on the internet speculating out of his ass about tripling or quadrupling their current TV deal. 

The finals couldn't even outdraw wrasslin' on Friday nights, and they just recently got a $205 million per year deal from FOX. Would love to see how the NHL will somehow get 600+ million per year based on deciding to play this season. 

Sure, the TV deal will be better if they play. But triple to quadruple? C'mon now. Bottom line: they still have to convince owners to take huge losses to play this season. 

IF they take a year off, they'll still have the more lucrative Rogers deal to fall back on. Owners will likely be more willing to take an annual hit on an NBC deal if they can wait for fans to return. We're talking a potential hit on a 200 million TV deal split over what will be 32 teams. Say they only get $150 million on their next deal. That's 50 mil lost split over 32 teams over x number of years. Many owners may be more willing to swallow that pill than losing at least tens of millions of dollars to play the 20/21 season.  

19 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Tell that to owners who have already stated they cannot afford a season without ticket sales. I'm just going by what's been said in recent news over a guy on the internet speculating out of his ass about tripling or quadrupling their current TV deal. 

The finals couldn't even outdraw wrasslin' on Friday nights, and they just recently got a $205 million per year deal from FOX. Would love to see how the NHL will somehow get 600+ million per year based on deciding to play this season. 

Sure, the TV deal will be better if they play. But triple to quadruple? C'mon now. Bottom line: they still have to convince owners to take huge losses to play this season. 

IF they take a year off, they'll still have the more lucrative Rogers deal to fall back on. Owners will likely be more willing to take an annual hit on an NBC deal if they can wait for fans to return. We're talking a potential hit on a 200 million TV deal split over what will be 32 teams. Say they only get $150 million on their next deal. That's 50 mil lost split over 32 teams over x number of years. Many owners may be more willing to swallow that pill than losing at least tens of millions of dollars to play the 20/21 season.  

Your whole argument is based on you knowing exactly when things will be back to normal.  So your whole argument is bupkis.  Thx for playing, tho.

24 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Disagree. But at least you put some thought in to it. 

7 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Your whole argument is based on you knowing exactly when things will be back to normal.  So your whole argument is bupkis.  Thx for playing, tho.

Everything I said is based on if's. At no point do I say we will or will not have hockey. I'm merely saying it's silly to think the league is somehow gonna triple or quadruple their next TV deal when evidence in the wild says otherwise. Some owners themselves have stated they can't afford the cost of business without fans.

At no point to I establish a timeline on when fans can return, so no, my argument has nothing to do with predicting when things will be back to normal. Stick with the discord circle-jerk if you have nothing of value to offer here. 

46 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Everything I said is based on if's. At no point do I say we will or will not have hockey. I'm merely saying it's silly to think the league is somehow gonna triple or quadruple their next TV deal when evidence in the wild says otherwise. Some owners themselves have stated they can't afford the cost of business without fans.

Can't say I disagree with this

46 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

At no point to I establish a timeline on when fans can return, so no, my argument has nothing to do with predicting when things will be back to normal. Stick with the discord circle-jerk if you have nothing of value to offer here. 

Can't say I disapprove of this

4 hours ago, marcaractac said:

I certainly hope we get a 20/21 season. It's just gonna be a tall order, albeit not impossible, to convince many owners to take that loss on the chin up front. 

IMHO - just have a 40 to 50 game reg season in which the Canadian franchises play host to the league.

Too many teams traveling between the two countries is a mess just waiting to happen.

16 hours ago, F.Michael said:

IMHO - just have a 40 to 50 game reg season in which the Canadian franchises play host to the league.

Too many teams traveling between the two countries is a mess just waiting to happen.

Then you have a situation where players are away from home for a very long time. There has been talk of a Canadian-only division to prevent border crossing which would solve that issue. 

I wonder if they'll try and convince to players to take a hit on salary to keep expenses down. Owners and players do share revenue 50/50. Perhaps they'll be asked to "share" deficits as well? My guess is whatever gets worked out will lead to a CBA extension that gives players some stuff back. 

51 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Then you have a situation where players are away from home for a very long time. There has been talk of a Canadian-only division to prevent border crossing which would solve that issue. 

7 teams playing 40 plus games amongst themselves...Talk about potential for seething hatred.

My thought  (meaning have the entire league play in the 7 host Canadian cities)  would include 'some' family to join the players in their respective bubble, and each team would get at least 1 if not 2 bye week/s during the reg season.

With teams playing 2 to 4 games per week - they'd obviously want travel limited...Would that mean having several teams in each city play 6 to 10 games? Take a few days off - then relocate to another Canadian bubble to play another round of games? Maybe have a site like Winnipeg (central location) to host games between Western/Eastern Conferences?

Lots to think about, and to discuss how things would play out.

51 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

. I wonder if they'll try and convince to players to take a hit on salary to keep expenses down. Owners and players do share revenue 50/50. Perhaps they'll be asked to "share" deficits as well? My guess is whatever gets worked out will lead to a CBA extension that gives players some stuff back. 

NHLPA would probably state by having a 'flat cap' for the next 2 seasons, and a higher % escrow as well is more than enough from their side.

With the recent CBA extension thru 2025/2026...https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-nhlpa-ratify-cba-extension-through-2025-26-season/c-317377214

Edited by F.Michael

19 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Seems the 7 non playoff teams will get an extended training camp when hockey does resume

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2041777

:lol: So, instead of increasing our odds at the draft lottery, since, you know, 26 other teams got to play for a chance at Lord Stanley, including the lottery winner, our reward for sucking is an extended training camp....gee NHL, these 7 teams thank you oh so much for giving us a perk.

No matter, Lucas Raymond is going to be better than Laf anyhow. Bet. The QMJHL always has players with tons of points come out and not do so well in the NHL. Laf will be good, but not the generational franchise talent his over inflated QMJ stats show. Raymond (and Stuetzle) are playing in men's pro leagues. The real winners are Ottawa and Detroit anyhow. LA should have gone D, they have 11, yes ELEVEN center's in their organization including Kopitar. That is not players that are listed as C/LW/RW it is straight up C! The ONLY center over the age of 22 is Kopitar, and he has 4 years left on his contract. So that is 10 C's (and yes they also have tons on LW and RW) that will all be vying position. that means more than half of them won't be playing for LA ever. Should've gone D. But I get it, BPA. Again, Raymond is going to be the stud of this draft, along with a few others that went outside the top 5.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

No matter, Lucas Raymond is going to be better than Laf anyhow. Bet. The QMJHL always has players with tons of points come out and not do so well in the NHL. Laf will be good, but not the generational franchise talent his over inflated QMJ stats show. Raymond (and Stuetzle) are playing in men's pro leagues. The real winners are Ottawa and Detroit anyhow. LA should have gone D, they have 11, yes ELEVEN center's in their organization including Kopitar. That is not players that are listed as C/LW/RW it is straight up C! The ONLY center over the age of 22 is Kopitar, and he has 4 years left on his contract. So that is 10 C's (and yes they also have tons on LW and RW) that will all be vying position. that means more than half of them won't be playing for LA ever. Should've gone D. But I get it, BPA. Again, Raymond is going to be the stud of this draft, along with a few others that went outside the top 5.

I dunno whether Raymond's gonna be better than Lafreniere. Could go either way. I won't be surprised either way.

But I agree that people are sleeping on the CHL-versus-SHL angle. Raymond would've torched CHL competition this past season.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

From your lips to Higher Power's ears.....

On 10/20/2020 at 8:13 AM, marcaractac said:

IF my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.  So like I said, everything you said is bupkis.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:11 AM, LeftWinger said:

Like Lafleur and Lemieux.  Slouches