• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

1. He's already on the back end of his career, this lowers his value

2. Glendening's cap hit is 1.8 mil. Dobbers predicts he'll make half that next season.

3. Yeah he doesn't produce any offense

6. Every team has one or multiple players in the same mold as Glendening, most of which are younger fresher and at a fraction of the cost. Glendening is not special and he's probably going to remain on the team cause no one will take him.

I updated my post with his face off numbers. Not the most valuable skill, but still worth acquiring for a team with that needs a RH in the faceoff circle, particularly in defensive situations.

His cap hit is 1.8, but his actual salary is 1.5 as its declining as he gets older. As it should be. Again, 1.5 is not an overpayment for a veteran (but not washed up) bottom 6, defensively reliable forward who is good in the faceoff circle.

Dobbers is wrong. No way he makes half. That what guys on the way out, like Gagner, make. Glenny still has a lot left in the tank.

16 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I updated my post with his face off numbers. Not the most valuable skill, but still worth acquiring for a team with that needs a RH in the faceoff circle, particularly in defensive situations.

His cap hit is 1.8, but his actual salary is 1.5 as its declining as he gets older. As it should be. Again, 1.5 is not an overpayment for a veteran (but not washed up) bottom 6, defensively reliable forward who is good in the faceoff circle.

Dobbers is wrong. No way he makes half. That what guys on the way out, like Gagner, make. Glenny still has a lot left in the tank.

Glendening is a 4th liner. A decent 4th liner, but a 4th liner.

But by all means keep pretending how this is extremely valuable around the league

17 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

At 32, if we we're to resign him...  3 years max term.  1.25 max dollars at 3 years.  I'd be more inclined to go 2 years at 1.5 per season.  Falling in love with and guys like this is exactly what's hampered the rebuild here...  fat contracts for easily replaceable players....  We are overflowing with recent examples....  Abby, Samuelsson, Ericsson, Cleary, etc, etc.  let someone else over pay for underperformance.

On an unrelated note...  WTF are we doing with Svech.  At this point are we actively trying to destroy any trade value he may have?  Not to mention any chance he may have at an NHL career...  The guy needs playing time somewhere, for the love of god he's got to bring more to the table than a scrub like Frans Nielsson.  Let the guy prove it.  

4 minutes ago, mackel said:

At 32, if we we're to resign him...  3 years max term.  1.25 max dollars at 3 years.  I'd be more inclined to go 2 years at 1.5 per season.  Falling in love with and guys like this is exactly what's hampered the rebuild here...  fat contracts for easily replaceable players....  We are overflowing with recent examples....  Abby, Samuelsson, Ericsson, Cleary, etc, etc.  let someone else over pay for underperformance.

Helm - went to poop at 32
Abby - went to poop at 32
Miller - went to poop at 32
Glendening - about to turn 32 - but I swear to god guys this time it will be different

22 minutes ago, mackel said:

On an unrelated note...  WTF are we doing with Svech.  At this point are we actively trying to destroy any trade value he may have?  Not to mention any chance he may have at an NHL career...  The guy needs playing time somewhere, for the love of god he's got to bring more to the table than a scrub like Frans Nielsson.  Let the guy prove it.  

two years are fine, it´s not just Glendenings play, more important is his being a pro, you need players like him,a workhorse, a good example in the gym, someone who can teach our young centers how to be good in the circle. Glendening surely is no irreplaceable player, but still good and worth keeping

1 hour ago, Gniwder said:

Glendening is a 4th liner. A decent 4th liner, but a 4th liner.

But by all means keep pretending how this is extremely valuable around the league

Yep. "Extremely valuable" is exactly how I described him.

1 hour ago, mackel said:

Those are exactly the terms that I would placate for.

It's not about "falling in love" with players. It's understanding that these kinds of players are still needed. And bringing back a familiar player that fills that role, without any question about how he'll fit in, what kind of player he'll be, how he'll perform with the team, etc makes more sense than bringing in a new player and not really knowing exactly what ur getting.

And no one is wanting to overpay for Glenny, like E or Abby. Nor is anyone wanting to keep a player past his usefulness, like Sammy or Cleary. A fair salary and term for a useful veteran are still the kinds of deals you have to make even if you're a rebuilding team.

Helm - went to poop at 32
Abby - went to poop at 32
Miller - went to poop at 32
Glendening - about to turn 32 - but I swear to god guys this time it will be different

Yep. Every player retires at 32 cuz they have nothing left to offer.

14 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yep. "Extremely valuable" is exactly how I described him.

Those are exactly the terms that I would placate for.

It's not about "falling in love" with players. It's understanding that these kinds of players are still needed. And bringing back a familiar player that fills that role, without any question about how he'll fit in, what kind of player he'll be, how he'll perform with the team, etc makes more sense than bringing in a new player and not really knowing exactly what ur getting.

And no one is wanting to overpay for Glenny, like E or Abby. Nor is anyone wanting to keep a player past his usefulness, like Sammy or Cleary. A fair salary and term for a useful veteran are still the kinds of deals you have to make even if you're a rebuilding team.

Yep. Every player retires at 32 cuz they have nothing left to offer.

Go to "Trade Rumors and Free Agents" on HF Boards. It'll be a wake up call for you. Hint: No fans around the league feel the same way about Glendening that you or other Wings fans do.

Useful 4th liners are certainly a necessary commodity, but it's about the least important commodity on just about any team, and certainly the last thing we need on this team.

Unfortunately I think Yzerman holds on to him. His contract is too big for what it brings in return. And under covid teams won't want to spend on that. I just hope Yzerman is mart enough to offer him $1 mil flat in this summer.

I honestly don't see anybody getting traded. Like mentioned, they just aren't good enough to warrant something decent in return. Glenny is probably THE only one with SOME value to others, but honestly he is more valuable to us. Maybe Bobby Ryan gets a call or two, but if it's not a 3rd or better, then why do it? I just assume keep these two, re-sign them and watch them become integral parts of our team with a whole new coaching staff.

21 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I honestly don't see anybody getting traded. Like mentioned, they just aren't good enough to warrant something decent in return. Glenny is probably THE only one with SOME value to others, but honestly he is more valuable to us. Maybe Bobby Ryan gets a call or two, but if it's not a 3rd or better, then why do it? I just assume keep these two, re-sign them and watch them become integral parts of our team with a whole new coaching staff.

Morw valuable to us? We’re dead last we shouldnt be keeping anything , if a top team offers a 2nd you trade his ass asap , you want him back you try and resign him in the off season and not waste an expansion draft spot on him . He goes who gives a s*** smith and pearson should be ready next season , we shouldn’t be so desperate to hang on to 4th liners

same with bernier , we lock him up before the expansion draft and chances are he or greiss gets picked up ... a carolina,avs or whomever who might need insurance offers a 2nd we trade him asap when push comes to shove and its actual trade deadline day id trade him for a 3rd

same with ryan etc... we’re dead last why the f*** would we keep the same roster? Teams start calling offering picks you take our the trash , these guys wanna come back they sign after the draft , i aint using any protection slots on none of them

Go to "Trade Rumors and Free Agents" on HF Boards. It'll be a wake up call for you. Hint: No fans around the league feel the same way about Glendening that you or other Wings fans do.

Useful 4th liners are certainly a necessary commodity, but it's about the least important commodity on just about any team, and certainly the last thing we need on this team.

Unfortunately I think Yzerman holds on to him. His contract is too big for what it brings in return. And under covid teams won't want to spend on that. I just hope Yzerman is mart enough to offer him $1 mil flat in this summer.

We eat 50% off and hes only at 900k calm down .... teams will value his faceoff % and his style of play will be valued by teams looking to make a playoff push

its time to ship out some players

7 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Morw valuable to us? We’re dead last we shouldnt be keeping anything , if a top team offers a 2nd you trade his ass asap , you want him back you try and resign him in the off season and not waste an expansion draft spot on him . He goes who gives a s*** smith and pearson should be ready next season , we shouldn’t be so desperate to hang on to 4th liners

same with bernier , we lock him up before the expansion draft and chances are he or greiss gets picked up ... a carolina,avs or whomever who might need insurance offers a 2nd we trade him asap when push comes to shove and its actual trade deadline day id trade him for a 3rd

same with ryan etc... we’re dead last why the f*** would we keep the same roster? Teams start calling offering picks you take our the trash , these guys wanna come back they sign after the draft , i aint using any protection slots on none of them

We eat 50% off and hes only at 900k calm down .... teams will value his faceoff % and his style of play will be valued by teams looking to make a playoff push

its time to ship out some players

We're already going to have retain salary on Staal and Helm. That's our two player limit.

18 hours ago, mackel said:

He cleared waivers at the start of the season. What makes you think he has any trade value?

2 hours ago, Gniwder said:

We're already going to have retain salary on Staal and Helm. That's our two player limit.

I thought we had 3 ? If thats the case f*** helm its clear glendening will fetch us more so if eating 50% results in us landing a 2nd instead of a 3rd and 5th for helm than helm can rot away all season on the taxi squad for all i care 

21 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I thought we had 3 ? If thats the case f*** helm its clear glendening will fetch us more so if eating 50% results in us landing a 2nd instead of a 3rd and 5th for helm than helm can rot away all season on the taxi squad for all i care 

You're correct, it's 3. My mistake.

4 hours ago, marcaractac said:

He cleared waivers at the start of the season. What makes you think he has any trade value?

It's not uncommon for a player to pass through waivers and still have trade value as a value add or due to improved play, signs of promise, etc.  Which is exactly my point... he's an asset we are completely mismanaging... he should be playing somewhere AHL or NHL in order to gauge what we have OR as a showcase to bolster his trade value.  Sitting in Taxi-Squad purgatory isn't accomplishing that. or anything really.

Edited by mackel

9 minutes ago, mackel said:

It's not uncommon for a player to pass through waivers and still have trade value as a value add or due to improved play, signs of promise, etc.  Which is exactly my point... he's an asset we are completely mismanaging... he should be playing somewhere AHL or NHL in order to gauge what we have OR as a showcase to bolster his trade value.  Sitting in Taxi-Squad purgatory isn't accomplishing that. or anything really.

Which is Yzerman's fault. What he's thinking here I have no idea.

I will surely take 2nds for all of them! I am just saying that Glenny is pretty valuable to us as a whole. Also, I am not protecting ANYONE that is a pending UFA. I do believe that we've all protected the same forwards, we just differ on D basically because I don't know which 3rd guy to protect. Lindstrom or Cholowski.

Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Namestikov (He's not as guaranteed now though,) Rasmussen, Smith, Fabbri.

Hronek, Stecher, (Lindstrom or Cholowski)

Griess

Either way, if any team is offering a 2nd for any of our UFA's, then for sure, make it so!

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I wonder if the taxi squad implementation is negating the need for teams to make trades.

8 hours ago, Gniwder said:

Lol. HFboards? That's exactly the kind of insight into NHL management I need.

Don't need 4th liners? Planning on just rolling with 3 lines then?

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I wonder if the taxi squad implementation is negating the need for teams to make trades.

Lol. HFboards? That's exactly the kind of insight into NHL management I need.

Don't need 4th liners? Planning on just rolling with 3 lines then?

I dislike HFboards as much as the next guy. But its pretty telling when fans from other teams dont share the same homer rosy view of Glendening that Wings fans do. Glendog is an overhyped 4th line player. Drew Miller+. Not that valuable. 

This team doesnt even have a competitive 1st line. Perma 4th liners are far from a priority. 

More bulls*** from Larry Brooks

Finally, why do I always get the impression that when Steve Yzerman speaks up in support of some systemic change to the system — such as postponing the 2021 entry draft — it is rarely to benefit the greater good, but rather to benefit his team?

But that was always the way of the Red Wings in the days of the dynasty for which Yzerman played, yes?

Because every other owner or GM that comes up with suggestions of change regarding the NHL are always thinking of the greater good...

And how is postponing the draft going to favor the Red Wings especially?

Edited by Akakabuto

8 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

More bulls*** from Larry Brooks

Because every other owner or GM that comes up with suggestions of change regarding the NHL are always thinking of the greater good...

And how is postponing the draft going to favor the Red Wings especially?

Yeah. Playing in the Western Conference for 20 years was such a dyck move.

29 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

wptx02lwlfk61.jpg

I copy-pasted this article for a member on this board. This is what it said about the Wings players.

13. Luke Glendening, Red Wings: He’s just about the perfect depth add for a team hoping to make a long playoff run. For a team high on skill but looking for an edge on their fourth line, Glendening might be the best option. He wins a ton of faceoffs and is miserable to play against. He’s also a pure rental. The more interesting speculation surrounds the younger Detroit forwards up the lineup. There’s also a belief that Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman would consider trading one of his younger forwards like Tyler Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha in the right deal. “I wouldn’t be shocked if (Yzerman) moved one of his top young forwards,” said one exec. “I think he’s listening on a lot of things.”

15. Jonathan Bernier, Red Wings: Bernier’s numbers really don’t reflect just how well he’s played for the last year or so on a pretty bad Red Wings team. Through 10 games, he had a .918 save percentage this season.  His strong play goes back to the second half of last season, where he had a .910 save percentage in the final 18 games for Detroit. And that’s not a great defense in front of him either. A return to Colorado might make sense here.

16. Bobby Ryan, Red Wings: He got off to a strong start and still continues to show flashes of the great hands that made him a regular 30-goal scorer. He’s a veteran who would seamlessly fit into any dressing room and he can still play with great players. “He can chip in. He’s cheap,” said an executive. “I think he could be a nice add for someone, get in on the third line and a little power play time.”

2 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

I copy-pasted this article for a member on this board. This is what it said about the Wings players.

13. Luke Glendening, Red Wings: He’s just about the perfect depth add for a team hoping to make a long playoff run. For a team high on skill but looking for an edge on their fourth line, Glendening might be the best option. He wins a ton of faceoffs and is miserable to play against. He’s also a pure rental. The more interesting speculation surrounds the younger Detroit forwards up the lineup. There’s also a belief that Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman would consider trading one of his younger forwards like Tyler Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha in the right deal. “I wouldn’t be shocked if (Yzerman) moved one of his top young forwards,” said one exec. “I think he’s listening on a lot of things.”

15. Jonathan Bernier, Red Wings: Bernier’s numbers really don’t reflect just how well he’s played for the last year or so on a pretty bad Red Wings team. Through 10 games, he had a .918 save percentage this season.  His strong play goes back to the second half of last season, where he had a .910 save percentage in the final 18 games for Detroit. And that’s not a great defense in front of him either. A return to Colorado might make sense here.

16. Bobby Ryan, Red Wings: He got off to a strong start and still continues to show flashes of the great hands that made him a regular 30-goal scorer. He’s a veteran who would seamlessly fit into any dressing room and he can still play with great players. “He can chip in. He’s cheap,” said an executive. “I think he could be a nice add for someone, get in on the third line and a little power play time.”

Mantha is gone