• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

In terms of value that trade seems about right. We dont really have any right shot defenders in the pipeline though, so losing Hronek (especially given how bad our defense is) would be a tough pill to swallow.

Definitely true, I just think filling the spot of second pairing RHD is an easier hole to fill then a top 6 center. Especially with how far away from contention this team is. 

Such a move would also help our draft standing for the upcoming draft, as it would certainly make the team worse now. 

Edited by marcaractac

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Definitely true, I just think filling the spot of second pairing RHD is an easier hole to fill then a top 6 center. Especially with how far away from contention this team is. 

Definitely. I like the trade and would do it. It's good value. Holland would be banking on a deep run to make that 1st worth it, but I think Edmonton bows out early again.

Just now, kipwinger said:

Definitely. I like the trade and would do it. It's good value. Holland would be banking on a deep run to make that 1st worth it, but I think Edmonton bows out early again.

This, which is the big reason I'd want their first. Add two more high end prospects to the pipeline in the next draft. Hoard them now so we have lots of trade assets to fill such holes in the top four later. 

12 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

This, which is the big reason I'd want their first. Add two more high end prospects to the pipeline in the next draft. Hoard them now so we have lots of trade assets to fill such holes in the top four later. 

Or flip one of the 1st and prospect for Bo Horvat? Guarantee Vancouver shops him before the draft.

13 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Or flip one of the 1st and prospect for Bo Horvat? Guarantee Vancouver shops him before the draft.

That's a tough one, because it would be after the draft before he could sign an extension. Could turn into an expensive one year rental. 

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

That's a tough one, because it would be after the draft before he could sign an extension. Could turn into an expensive one year rental. 

For sure, you'd have no know he was interested before you pulled the trigger but considering he's from Ontario and Toronto can't afford him and Buffalo sucks you'd have to think we'd have a pretty good shot.

18 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

For sure, you'd have no know he was interested before you pulled the trigger but considering he's from Ontario and Toronto can't afford him and Buffalo sucks you'd have to think we'd have a pretty good shot.

Perhaps target Dumba in the offseason to give us a RHD? One year left, Wild need to dump cap. Trade an extension.

Seider-UFA

Dumba-Edvonsson

Staal-Lindstrom

Oesterle

Pretty easy to find an upgrade over DDK to play with Seider, I'd imagine. A capable LHD on a 1-2 year deal.

Something like this up front:

Bert-Larkin-Razor

Berg-Suter-Holloway

Fabri-Ras-Zadina

Smith-Stephens-Erne

Pearson/Veleno

Then use those two first rounders on the best offensive/skilled guys that can be had at the picks.

Edited by marcaractac

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

Perhaps target Dumba in the offseason to give us a RHD? One year left, Wild need to dump cap. Trade an extension.

Seider-UFA

Dumba-Edvonsson

Staal-Lindstrom

Oesterle

Pretty easy to find an upgrade over DDK to play with Seider, I'd imagine. A capable LHD on a 1-2 year deal.

Something like this up front:

Bert-Larkin-Razor

Berg-Suter-Holloway

Fabri-Ras-Zadina

Smith-Stephens-Erne

Pearson/Veleno

No Vrana?

22 hours ago, F.Michael said:

IKR

I'd prefer to see the team sold/relocate to QC, but at this point I wouldn't mind seeing them move to Houston.

Do you think Edmonton would mind if they used this logo and the name associated with it?

Houston Oilers Primary Logo | Sports Logo History

5xais0.jpg

You cant have 2 teams with the same name. Unless its the AHL and you have teams in Milwaukee and Norfolk.

I don't know much about Holloway TBH. Was he supposed to make the Oilers this year? I am hesitant to move our GOOD roster players for other teams unproven prospects. If the deal was Leddy for Holloway straight up I'd do it all day.

My guess is the Wild will want to move Zuccarello soon

Good. The Olympic break is unironically R-slurred.

11 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

I don't know much about Holloway TBH. Was he supposed to make the Oilers this year? I am hesitant to move our GOOD roster players for other teams unproven prospects. If the deal was Leddy for Holloway straight up I'd do it all day.

My guess is the Wild will want to move Zuccarello soon

Good. The Olympic break is unironically R-slurred.

He ended up needing wrist surgery which delayed his start. 3 month recovery time. But an important part of the deal I prosed was the Caps 2nd for the Oilers 1st. A pick where Yzerman can once again trade up to get two high end pieces in the next draft. 

This is a scouting report from BEFORE his breakout season last year

Edited by marcaractac

Here’s a crazy thought regarding our defense, both Oliver Kylington and Shane Gostisbehere were on waivers a year ago and could have been on our team for the costs of their contracts. 

Michael Del Zotto is now, would be a solid addition to the left side given what we have.

Edited by kipwinger

24 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Here’s a crazy thought regarding our defense, both Oliver Kylington and Shane Gostisbehere we’re on waivers a year ago and could have been on our team for the costs of their contracts. 

Michael Del Zotto is now, would be a solid addition to the left side given what we have.

Never minded MDZ. He's the kind of partner who would be perfect for Seider. Pushing Leddy down to Hronek's pairing.

Won't happen though cause SY doesn't have the balls.

39 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

Never minded MDZ. He's the kind of partner who would be perfect for Seider. Pushing Leddy down to Hronek's pairing.

Won't happen though cause SY doesn't have the balls.

He’s basically Dekeyser without the injuries at this point. I’m okay with that.

https://theathletic.com/3012418/2021/12/13/le-calepin-du-canadien-des-femmes-candidates-pour-le-poste-de-dg-les-pires-et-les-meilleurs-trios-et-plus/

We are also told that at least three women are being considered for the (Habs GM) post. Molson has announced that he wants to improve diversity in hockey operations, and this is the first proof of his seriousness. Of course, interviewing women for the post of CEO does not necessarily mean that one of them will be hired for that particular post. But the mere fact that women are being considered shows that Molson's diversity initiative has teeth, and it is certainly a step in the right direction for hockey in general.

As soon as it's no longer about hiring the best candidate, you've already shot yourself in the foot :clap:

I love headlines like these. It's not interesting because the most qualified candidate happens to be a woman. It's interesting because Molson is entertaining hiring women because they're women. Is Molson a raging misogynist incel who wouldn't even consider women before today???

The whole thing screams "Please forget that we drafted Logan Mailloux".

Now if they interview one of these women and she turns out to be a genius hockey brain, fantastic, hire her. But articles like these are already undermining her perceived competence by making this out to be a diversity hire lol. And it doesn't help that if she is hired as the first female GM ever, she also won't have the full powers of the job.... with Gorton behind her guiding the ship. Implying a female can't do the job without a mans help lol.

Gotta love the Habs. They limit themselves to French speakers only, and are now admittedly (thinking about) inserting diversity hires into the most important role in their organization :clap:

The only way to build a great front office is clear. ONLY hire fan favorite former players. Darren McCarty for Wings Mental Skills coach, come on down!

Edited by bIueadams

34 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

https://theathletic.com/3012418/2021/12/13/le-calepin-du-canadien-des-femmes-candidates-pour-le-poste-de-dg-les-pires-et-les-meilleurs-trios-et-plus/

As soon as it's no longer about hiring the best candidate, you've already shot yourself in the foot :clap:

I love headlines like these. It's not interesting because the most qualified candidate happens to be a woman. It's interesting because Molson is entertaining hiring women because they're women. Is Molson a raging misogynist incel who wouldn't even consider women before today???

Now if they interview one of these women and she turns out to be a genius hockey brain, fantastic, hire her. But articles like these are already undermining her perceived competence by making this out to be a diversity hire lol. And it doesn't help that if she is hired as the first female GM ever, she also won't have the full powers of the job.... with Gorton behind her guiding the ship. Implying a female can't do the job without a mans help lol.

Gotta love the Habs. They limit themselves to French speakers only, and are now admittedly (thinking about) inserting diversity hires into the most important role in their organization :clap:

The only way to build a great front office is clear. ONLY hire fan favorite former players. Darren McCarty for Wings Mental Skills coach, come on down!

If we are being fair, I think the rationale goes something like this: There are a bunch of very qualified people for the job, some of whom are female. Proponents of this thinking suggest that hiring a qualified female might yield additional benefits because research seems to suggest that management teams with diverse points of view perform better in some areas than less diverse management teams because women (minorities, LGBTQ, etc.) have different experiences, points of view, problem solving and social skills which may prove beneficial for the team.

So I guess the question would be: Is there something specific about the female experience that would give a qualified female candidate an additional (and beneficial) dynamic which could improve team performance? Traditionally the thinking in pro sports has been the exact opposite; that because women cannot and have not played men's sports they're missing some vital experiential information which is essential for the job.

I don't know who's right, but I don't think it's as simple as saying it's a "diversity hire".

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:

I bet Manon Rheaume gets an interview.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

If we are being fair, I think the rationale goes something like this: There are a bunch of very qualified people for the job, some of whom are female. Proponents of this thinking suggest that hiring a qualified female might yield additional benefits because research seems to suggest that management teams with diverse points of view perform better in some areas than less diverse management teams because women (minorities, LGBTQ, etc.) have different experiences, points of view, problem solving and social skills which may prove beneficial for the team.

So I guess the question would be: Is there something specific about the female experience that would give a qualified female candidate an additional (and beneficial) dynamic which could improve team performance? Traditionally the thinking in pro sports has been the exact opposite; that because women cannot and have not played men's sports they're missing some vital experiential information which is essential for the job.

I don't know who's right, but I don't think it's as simple as saying it's a "diversity hire".

The first part is a pretty shallow way to view diversity IMO. If they want to add diversity of thought they should be adding someone (regardless of race, sex, creed) from a different industry. Hire an MLB, NBA, WNBA, NFL manager/executive etc. Hire from an industry outside of sports.

They haven't named names on who the three women are. But the names I'm seeing being speculated are all French-Canadian. If they wanted to add someone with an alternative viewpoint, ANOTHER Quebecois, regardless of sex, is a bit asinine IMO.

I think the true diversity hire here is ironically white male Jeff Gorton. Because he's Anglo. He's going to do the vast majority of heavy lifting behind the scenes, and they'll hire his French Canadian mouthpiece to be "GM" AKA spokesman/spokeswoman/media lightning rod.

So it find it funny that if they do hire a female GM, it's basically going to be a pseudo position. That said, I hope she's an absolute baberino in front of the cameras that makes me forget all about how awful muh habies rebuild is going.

And to the last part, I partially agree. As much as we moan about the old boys club, I see a real advantage to hiring someone who's a part of it. Most of them have been there done that on the ice and in the lockerrooms. Have contacts and comrades across the league. Hard to look past those real intangibles. Someone new the NHL probably has a pretty steep learning curve.

1 minute ago, bIueadams said:

The first part is a pretty shallow way to view diversity IMO. If they want to add diversity of thought they should be adding someone (regardless of race, sex, creed) from a different industry. Hire an MLB, NBA, WNBA, NFL manager/executive etc. Hire from an industry outside of sports.

They haven't named names on who the three women are. But the names I'm seeing being speculated are all French-Canadian. If they wanted to add someone with an alternative viewpoint, ANOTHER Quebecois, regardless of sex, is a bit asinine IMO.

I think the true diversity hire here is ironically white male Jeff Gorton. Because he's Anglo. He's going to do the vast majority of heavy lifting behind the scenes, and they'll hire his French Canadian mouthpiece to be "GM" AKA spokesman/spokeswoman/media lightning rod.

So it find it funny that if they do hire a female GM, it's basically going to be a pseudo position. That said, I hope she's an absolute baberino in front of the cameras that makes me forget all about how awful muh habies rebuild is going.

And to the last part, I partially agree. As much as we moan about the old boys club, I see a real advantage to hiring someone who's a part of it. Most of them have been there done that on the ice and in the lockerrooms. Have contacts and comrades across the league. Hard to look past those real intangibles. Someone new the NHL probably has a pretty steep learning curve.

Again, I'm not saying what's correct or not (because I don't know). I just thought your suggestion was a bit skewed because the idea is not to hire a woman regardless of qualifications but rather to hire a qualified women, according to proponents of the thinking (which seems to include Molson). FWIW NFL teams have been flirting with this same idea vis-a-vis Condoleeza Rice for years.

One potential pitfall of this strategy, at least when it comes to pro sports management, is that female managers are generally viewed as being more difficult to work with than their male counterparts. Not hard to see how that perception could negatively impact things like contract negotiations or GM/Coach relationships, though that's just one (of many) things to consider when making a decision like this.

6 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Again, I'm not saying what's correct or not (because I don't know). I just thought your suggestion was a bit skewed because the idea is not to hire a woman regardless of qualifications but rather to hire a qualified women, according to proponents of the thinking (which seems to include Molson). FWIW NFL teams have been flirting with this same idea vis-a-vis Condoleeza Rice for years.

One potential pitfall of this strategy, at least when it comes to pro sports management, is that female managers are generally viewed as being more difficult to work with than their male counterparts. Not hard to see how that perception could negatively impact things like contract negotiations or GM/Coach relationships, though that's just one (of many) things to consider when making a decision like this.

I just don't think they're hiring a GM in the traditional sense. They're hiring a French spokesman/woman under the guise of being GM.

If Gorton wasn't there and it hadn't already been explained that he'll be taking on a lot of the GM's work... I'd be more inclined to believe that they're after a female POV in the management team. I see this more as a PR position - which women seem to do well in - to keep up the facade that org is still being run but QCers. 

1 minute ago, bIueadams said:

I just don't think they're hiring a GM in the traditional sense. They're hiring a French spokesman/woman under the guise of being GM.

If Gorton wasn't there and it hadn't already been explained that he'll be taking on a lot of the GM's work... I'd be more inclined to believe that they're after a female POV in the management team. I see this more as a PR position - which women seem to do well in - to keep up the facade that org is still being run but QCers. 

Irrespective of whether or not it's a woman, I actually understand and agree with Montreal's position on the GM/coach speaking French. I'd be SUPER annoyed if the Red Wings GM or coach didn't speak English. Imagine not being able to watch pre/post game interviews, draft day thoughts/analysis, lineup decisions, or any other forums where key information is communicated to fans, without the use of a translator.

It definitely makes the job of finding good talent harder for the Canadiens, but I get why they do it.

Just now, kipwinger said:

Irrespective of whether or not it's a woman, I actually understand and agree with Montreal's position on the GM/coach speaking French. I'd be SUPER annoyed if the Red Wings GM or coach didn't speak English. Imagine not being able to watch pre/post game interviews, draft day thoughts/analysis, lineup decisions, or any other forums where key information is communicated to fans, without the use of a translator.

It definitely makes the job of finding good talent harder for the Canadiens, but I get why they do it.

I absolutely agree. I don't think Molson has done this stupidly at all. IMO Gorton was the best GM available by a long shot, but the guy needs a French mouth to speak for him.