• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

25 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

FWIW NFL teams have been flirting with this same idea vis-a-vis Condoleeza Rice for years.

So she can push her big oil, military industrial complex, global finance agenda on unsuspecting NFL halfwits?

44e.jpg

The other thing that's lost in this conversation is that many teams have used this same management structure in the past when trying to slowly integrate an inexperienced GM. Off the top of my head, Columbus did it with Davison/Kekalainen, Toronto did it with Lamorello/Dubas, New York did it with Davidson/Gorton, Vegas did with with McPhee/McCrimmon, and Detroit with Devellano/Holland.

The interesting part will be the division of labor between the two. Traditionally the President runs the broader organization while the GM manages the roster, negotiates contracts, and runs the draft. But that's not always the case. There was a cool article in The Athletic in the wake of the Kotkaniemi offer sheet that showed the extent to which Don Waddell has his hand in everything from hockey decisions, to social media, to public relations. It's easy to see a scenario where all business decisions were made by the French speaking GM, and hockey decisions where made by the President. It would allow Montreal to recruit from a much broader pool of French speaking executives without having their hockey related inexperience negatively impact the team.

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

The other thing that's lost in this conversation is that many teams have used this same management structure in the past when trying to slowly integrate an inexperienced GM. Off the top of my head, Columbus did it with Davison/Kekalainen, Toronto did it with Lamorello/Dubas, New York did it with Davidson/Gorton, Vegas did with with McPhee/McCrimmon, and Detroit with Devellano/Holland.

The interesting part will be the division of labor between the two. Traditionally the President runs the broader organization while the GM manages the roster, negotiates contracts, and runs the draft. But that's not always the case. There was a cool article in The Athletic in the wake of the Kotkaniemi offer sheet that showed the extent to which Don Waddell has his hand in everything from hockey decisions, to social media, to public relations. It's easy to see a scenario where all business decisions were made by the French speaking GM, and hockey decisions where made by the President. It would allow Montreal to recruit from a much broader pool of French speaking executives without having their hockey related inexperience negatively impact the team.

I think we'll be able to glean pretty quickly what the future holds for the new Habs GM based on the hire.

If it's a good looking fast talker with a marketing background, it's mouth of Gorton time.

Someone with actually hockey management background, perhaps grooming time.

I tend to believe it's the former just because Gorton probably has at least a decade of good hockey management in him yet.

26 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Irrespective of whether or not it's a woman, I actually understand and agree with Montreal's position on the GM/coach speaking French. I'd be SUPER annoyed if the Red Wings GM or coach didn't speak English. Imagine not being able to watch pre/post game interviews, draft day thoughts/analysis, lineup decisions, or any other forums where key information is communicated to fans, without the use of a translator.

It definitely makes the job of finding good talent harder for the Canadiens, but I get why they do it.

Except most people that care about the Habs can speak and understand English. They just get pizzy when they are asked to. 

Just now, The 91 of Ryans said:

Except most people that care about the Habs can speak and understand English. They just get pizzy when they are asked to. 

Sure, but they're still native French speakers. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to hear about your team in your native tongue. Or at least I can understand the preference. Do I think the world would end if the Habs fired an English speaking GM/Coach? No. But I understand why they don't, and I'm sure their fans appreciate it as well.

17 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Sure, but they're still native French speakers. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to hear about your team in your native tongue. Or at least I can understand the preference. Do I think the world would end if the Habs fired an English speaking GM/Coach? No. But I understand why they don't, and I'm sure their fans appreciate it as well.

But French is not their "native tongue". English and French are both official National languages and are taught from primary school on.

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

But French is not their "native tongue". English and French are both official National languages and are taught from primary school on.

They've been speaking French in Quebec since before there was even a "Canada". So I'm gonna go ahead and say it's a native tongue even if it isn't the official national language.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Language_Act_(Quebec)

Edited by kipwinger

Thank god Blashill is from Michigan and understands that it's spoken Haah-key, Shi-caah-go, Gran-rapids, Pop, Secretary of state, and meijers with an S, or I would have flipped out and killed my whole family by now.

Edited by bIueadams

1 minute ago, bIueadams said:

Thank god Blashill is from Michigan and understands that it's spoken Haah-key, Shi-caah-go, Gran-rapids, Pop, Secretary of state, and meijers with an S, or I would have flipped out and killed my whole family by now.

It's "Secretary a-State" you f*cking foreigner.

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

If I drank pop I'd obviously prefer Faygo, but because I have no interest in being morbidly obese I abstain. It's a free country though, so enjoy your diabetes water.

Water, milk, tea.

And on Thursdays gin. 

Once in a while a can of Pepsi is nice though. 

On 12/9/2021 at 1:26 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You are still punishing the wrong people.

WTF are you talking about? China isn't punished when no one attends their Olympics?

Absolutely no self respecting country should be attending these games. China has many literal and documented concentration camps where they are exterminating none-Chinese.

bUT muH pLAyeRs

Olympics are a privilege, not a right. They can continue playing in the NHL for millions until the olympic commitee stops taking bribes and blowjobs from Jing Jong Ping Pong. This is a world diplomatic event. The west shouldn't be doing business with genocidal foreigners.

6 hours ago, bIueadams said:

WTF are you talking about? China isn't punished when no one attends their Olympics?

Absolutely no self respecting country should be attending these games. China has many literal and documented concentration camps where they are exterminating none-Chinese.

bUT muH pLAyeRs

Olympics are a privilege, not a right. They can continue playing in the NHL for millions until the olympic commitee stops taking bribes and blowjobs from Jing Jong Ping Pong. This is a world diplomatic event. The west shouldn't be doing business with genocidal foreigners.

The vast, overwhelming majority of Olympic athletes are not pros. Boycotting the Olympics only punishes the athletes. It doesnt do anything to hurt China. It's the 2nd biggest economy in the world and doesn't give a ****. That's the same logic that thinks banning guns punishes criminals.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The vast, overwhelming majority of Olympic athletes are not pros. Boycotting the Olympics only punishes the athletes. It doesnt do anything to hurt China. It's the 2nd biggest economy in the world and doesn't give a ****. That's the same logic that thinks banning guns punishes criminals.

The 2nd biggest economy that bribed its ass off for the diplomatic privilege to host these games 

Please elaborate on your gun analogy so I can dismantle it. 

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Paul Maurice, genius coach who tried valiantly to save Ev Svechnikov’s career, has resigned. 

https://www.tsn.ca/paul-maurice-resigns-head-coach-winnipeg-jets-1.1736180

Now the coach who ruined Ev Svechs career is the longest tenured coach behind Cooper. Lawd halp dees kidz.

15 hours ago, bIueadams said:

The 2nd biggest economy that bribed its ass off for the diplomatic privilege to host these games 

Please elaborate on your gun analogy so I can dismantle it. 

1. Of course they did. Every host country does this.

2. Gun bans/restrictions don't stop bad guys from having guns and using them. Boycotting the Olympics will not change how China operates.

Gun bans/restrictions punish law abiding gun owners. Boycotting the Olympics punishes the athletes. 

Neither hurts the party its intended to and both punish innocent people.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie