• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, bIueadams said:

Read the article. SY wants immediate help on the blue line, exploring trades for Dmen with term.

We've seen how good Chychrun can be. He's extremely young and on a very friendly contract. That will cost us.

Let's send them: Zadina + Ras + McIssac + Viro

Zadina is worth 2 firsts

16 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

You've mentioned repeatedly that we do not have the cap room to sign free agents, and that you don't want Yzerman to do so.  But then in the next breath, you say we're not going to be a contender for another 4-5 years.

I don't think you understand that we can't wait until Larkin, Seider, Edvinsson, Vrana, Raymond, and Bertuzzi are taking up 45 million of cap space to bring in a top notch UFA.  The smart thing to do is to add 15 million a year in UFA for 7 years while we have all these rookies/sophmores.  Then we can shed the cap space with trades after 4-5 years and pay the homegrown talent if they perform.

If the Wings have any opportunity to pick up Lindholm and/or Forsberg, they should jump at it.  The cap space is there, and both of those guys provide an immediate upgrade for our team.

DeKeyser has modified his No Movement Clause to "Full Movement Allowed".

He stated that he is willing to modify it further to "Please God, Move Me" if and when necessary.

Another clown putting words in my mouth I see. When have I ever said we don't have the cap space? We have lots. But that doesn't mean Yzerman should be mindlessly spending it for the sake of it either.

Why invest long-term cap into two players who will be on decline by the time the team contends? Neither Lindholm, Forsberg, or both make the team a contender now. You'd be providing an upgrade now and two problems later.

Clearly, you haven't been paying attention to what Yzerman did in Tampa, because spending big on UFAs when they weren't even a playoff team yet wasn't it. 

Investing 15 million into two good, not great players gets you into a wildcard spot. Then murdered by Tampa/Carolina/Florida in the first round. And yeah, let's invest in a left-winger with a career-high of 64 points, who magically pops off in a contract year.

If there was a legit superstar hitting UFA, I'd say go for it. But Lindholm/Forsberg level guys who are gonna get overpaid? That ain't it.  

9 hours ago, bIueadams said:

Read the article. SY wants immediate help on the blue line, exploring trades for Dmen with term.

We've seen how good Chychrun can be. He's extremely young and on a very friendly contract. That will cost us.

Let's send them: Zadina + Ras + McIssac + Viro

I'd give up Zadina, 1st, and a prospect not named Edvinsson, Cossa, or Soderblom

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Another clown putting words in my mouth I see. When have I ever said we don't have the cap space? We have lots. But that doesn't mean Yzerman should be mindlessly spending it for the sake of it either.

Why invest long-term cap into two players who will be on decline by the time the team contends? Neither Lindholm, Forsberg, or both make the team a contender now. You'd be providing an upgrade now and two problems later.

Clearly, you haven't been paying attention to what Yzerman did in Tampa, because spending big on UFAs when they weren't even a playoff team yet wasn't it. 

Investing 15 million into two good, not great players gets you into a wildcard spot. Then murdered by Tampa/Carolina/Florida in the first round. And yeah, let's invest in a left-winger with a career-high of 64 points, who magically pops off in a contract year.

If there was a legit superstar hitting UFA, I'd say go for it. But Lindholm/Forsberg level guys who are gonna get overpaid? That ain't it.  

Same thing.

"If we can get Austin Matthews, let's do it."

NO SHYTE.

Both of these guys are good enough that their teams are more than likely going to re-sign them and not let them hit the market.  It's more than likely a pipe dream to even discuss it.  But it's worth noting that you do not know how UFA works.  ALL UFA'S are going to be in the 25-28 year old range, Marc.  They hit UFA after a certain amount of time in the league / as a professional under contract (7 years I believe).  We're not going to be able to pick up a 22 year old UFA in the offseason.  Those free agents are RESTRICTED.  

10 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Same thing.

"If we can get Austin Matthews, let's do it."

NO SHYTE.

Both of these guys are good enough that their teams are more than likely going to re-sign them and not let them hit the market.  It's more than likely a pipe dream to even discuss it.  But it's worth noting that you do not know how UFA works.  ALL UFA'S are going to be in the 25-28 year old range, Marc.  They hit UFA after a certain amount of time in the league / as a professional under contract (7 years I believe).  We're not going to be able to pick up a 22 year old UFA in the offseason.  Those free agents are RESTRICTED.  

Oh, now I do not know how UFA works? I'm aware of the UFA age. Stop being a condescending c***. I'm simply saying that if spending money on a free agent, get one that is so good that they'll still be a star player well into their 30s. 

Nobody ******* said anything about a magical 22 yo UFA. I'm talking about the QUALITY of a player, not the AGE of a player.

I'm not convinced a player of Lindholm's caliber will be any better than what is in the pipeline by the time we contend. I sure as hell wouldn't spend money on a guy who is only now above a ppg player in a contract year, hitting only 64 points previously. Not to mention wingers are very much NOT a position of need. 

Yeah, we need a LHD. There are better options, whether it be a trade for someone better/younger or going with a veteran stopgap on a shorter-term deal.

But please, educate me on more common sense, please.  

6 minutes ago, Wings3:16 said:

Blowing a load for UFAs before a team is ready is how you become the Ottawa Senators and Buffalo Sabres - stay the course!

This. Like, the Rags got Panarin. No harm in that type of move to bring in a player THAT good. Elite players still play at a high level into their 30s. Much less risk on those UFAs. Lindholm and Forsberg are not that. 

I'd rather see Yzerman take a swing at a guy like Giordano for a year. Sure he is old, but he can still produce. Much less risk.

I'd much rather trade for Chychrun and sign someone like Trocheck... an actual center... which we need. He'll also be cheaper than Forsberg. 

We still wouldn't be a contender, but we'd add a dman who has yet to enter his prime as well as some much needed depth down the middle. 

Edited by marcaractac

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Oh, now I do not know how UFA works? I'm aware of the UFA age. Stop being a condescending c***. I'm simply saying that if spending money on a free agent, get one that is so good that they'll still be a star player well into their 30s. 

Nobody ******* said anything about a magical 22 yo UFA. I'm talking about the QUALITY of a player, not the AGE of a player.

I'm not convinced a player of Lindholm's caliber will be any better than what is in the pipeline by the time we contend. I sure as hell wouldn't spend money on a guy who is only now above a ppg player in a contract year, hitting only 64 points previously. Not to mention wingers are very much NOT a position of need. 

Yeah, we need a LHD. There are better options, whether it be a trade for someone better/younger or going with a veteran stopgap on a shorter-term deal.

But please, educate me on more common sense, please.  

How is a quality RIGHT HANDED winger not a position of need?  We add one to Larkins line, and our top line goes from 1/2 pt a game each to a pt a game.  Forsberg would do wonders for our 2nd line and 2nd pp unit.  He's a quality 2nd line player.  If we can get him, we should.  Its as simple as that.  And as far as LHD goes, Lindholm is the best thats out there right now.  We should get him if possible too.  These guys costing us 16 mil per for the next 7 seasons would cause us exactly ZERO problems.  Quite the opposite, actually.  They would fill 2 big holes and keep pressure off of players that still need time to develop (the Swedes).

Edited by Jonas Mahonas

1 hour ago, Wings3:16 said:

Blowing a load for UFAs before a team is ready is how you become the Ottawa Senators and Buffalo Sabres - stay the course!

IM BLOWINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

This. Like, the Rags got Panarin. No harm in that type of move to bring in a player THAT good. Elite players still play at a high level into their 30s. Much less risk on those UFAs. Lindholm and Forsberg are not that. 

I'd rather see Yzerman take a swing at a guy like Giordano for a year. Sure he is old, but he can still produce. Much less risk.

I'd much rather trade for Chychrun and sign someone like Trocheck... an actual center... which we need. He'll also be cheaper than Forsberg. 

We still wouldn't be a contender, but we'd add a dman who has yet to enter his prime as well as some much needed depth down the middle. 

I just don't see why Giordano or Malkin or whatever elite vet would want to join us. They're going to go to playoff teams in win now mode. There's no reason for them to waste their last years on a bad Detroit team.

The type of vets we will end up with are the cast outs who are barely productive at this point; like Staal or Leddy or Filppula. AKA reloading with more of the same stop gap BS.

Yzerman knows we need productive players in our current age range. Which is why he went out and got Stepehens, Erne, Fabbri, Suter, Stecher, Juolevi, Nedeljkovic, Vrana, Perlini, Timashov, Comrie. Even Leddy and Names were close to the proper age range when acquired.

We're gonna end up with a busted ass Jack Johnson and Andy Greene on the left side if we swing for vets.

I think if Yzerman goes gunning for contributors it'll be for guys like Lindholm/Chychrun/Forsberg/Trocheck/Zadorov/Copp/Hertl/Kotkaniemi who still have some prime years. I'm sure more young projects like Juolevi/Stephens will be in the mix too.

Edited by bIueadams

42 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

IM BLOWINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I just don't see why Giordano or Malkin or whatever elite vet would want to join us. They're going to go to playoff teams in win now mode. There's no reason for them to waste their last years on a bad Detroit team.

The type of vets we will end up with are the cast outs who are barely productive at this point; like Staal or Leddy or Filppula. AKA reloading with more of the same stop gap BS.

Yzerman knows we need productive players in our current age range. Which is why he went out and got Stepehens, Erne, Fabbri, Suter, Stecher, Juolevi, Nedeljkovic, Vrana, Perlini, Timashov, Comrie. Even Leddy and Names were close to the proper age range when acquired.

We're gonna end up with a busted ass Jack Johnson and Andy Greene on the left side if we swing for vets.

I think if Yzerman goes gunning for contributors it'll be for guys like Lindholm/Chychrun/Forsberg/Trocheck/Zadorov/Copp/Hertl/Kotkaniemi who still have some prime years. I'm sure more young projects like Juolevi/Stephens will be in the mix too.

As for older vets, we can offer more money than most on a short deal and retain salary to move them at the deadline. Also more minutes! That is my train of thought there.

The list of players you mention that Yzerman acquired has one big thing in common that we wouldn't get with Lindholm: Cap flexibility. No long-term deals that can be a pain in the ass later on. 

Guys like Trocheck, Kotkaniemi (can't imagine he gets qualified at that salary), Zadorov, Copp all will be cheaper than the likes of Lindholm and Forsberg. The latter two are this year's UFA darlings and will get overpaid because they are at the top of what is available.  

I'd absolutely take either on a team-friendly deal. I just do not see that happening at all. 

Edited by marcaractac

18 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

As for older vets, we can offer more money than most on a short deal and retain salary to move them at the deadline. Also more minutes! That is my train of thought there.

The list of players you mention that Yzerman acquired has one big thing in common that we wouldn't get with Lindholm: Cap flexibility. No long-term deals that can be a pain in the ass later on. 

Guys like Trocheck, Kotkaniemi (can't imagine he gets qualified at that salary), Zadorov, Copp all will be cheaper than the likes of Lindholm and Forsberg. The latter two are this year's UFA darlings and will get overpaid because they are at the top of what is available.  

I'd absolutely take either on a team-friendly deal. I just do not see that happening at all. 

I just don't think that'll be the motivation for good vets. They'll be like Perry and go to Tampa for cheap. Giordano will probably cruise back into Calgary.

There are more options at C this year than LHD. If we don't snag a Chychrun or Lindholm, we may have some problems.

Zadorov doesn't kill penalties. Then there isn't much quality after that. We're gonna end up in a 32 team bidding war over Ben freaking Chiarot and Brett Kulak. I'd rather bid war on Lindholm...

1 minute ago, bIueadams said:

I just don't think that'll be the motivation for good vets. They'll be like Perry and go to Tampa for cheap. Giordano will probably cruise back into Calgary.

There are more options at C this year than LHD. If we don't snag a Chychrun or Lindholm, we may have some problems.

Zadorov doesn't kill penalties. Then there isn't much quality after that. We're gonna end up in a 32 team bidding war over Ben freaking Chiarot and Brett Kulak. I'd rather bid war on Lindholm...

I think Yzerman fixes the issue on LHD before the TDL this season rather than wait on UFA anyway. But hey, DK is currently off the roster. That's addition by subtraction right there. 

BTW there is a funny thread to read over on HF boards, and it's about this subject we're discussing now:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/if-your-goal-is-to-make-a-playoff-run-next-yr-w-o-ruining-our-future-what-do-you-do.2873415/

It seems our old friend Blueadams (not me) migrated over there after his last tantrum on LGW. The HF bros are already annoyed with him and the thread has some decently spicy drama.

Edited by bIueadams

15 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I think Yzerman fixes the issue on LHD before the TDL this season rather than wait on UFA anyway. But hey, DK is currently off the roster. That's addition by subtraction right there. 

• Chychrun - Yotes
  • Oleksiak - Kraken
  • McCabe - Hawks
  • Simek - Sharks
  • Dillon - Jets
  • Schmidt - Jets

Those are guys I think that could possibly be had at the TDL. Advantage to a move like this is obviously we can then feel very comfortable unloading Staal/Leddy at that point. Juolevi may be complete garbage and McIsaac and Sebrango are nowhere near ready to come up IMO. We might be leaning on Renouf and Lashoff if we dump Leddy and Staal without replacing them....

Also, problem with trading with the Jets is we then free them up to re-sign Andrew Copp, who most certainly is looking like a cap casualty. Though this may be good motivation for them to sell us Dillon for cheap now or at the draft.

If we trade at the draft for a Dman obviously more options will open up with different teams.

Edited by bIueadams

9 minutes ago, bIueadams said:
  • Chychrun - Yotes
  • Oleksiak - Kraken
  • McCabe - Hawks
  • Simek - Sharks
  • Dillon - Jets
  • Schmidt - Jets

Those are guys I think that could possibly be had at the TDL. Advantage to a move like this is obviously we can then feel very comfortable unloading Staal/Leddy at that point. Juolevi may be complete garbage and McIsaac and Sebrango are nowhere near ready to come up IMO. We might be leaning on Renouf and Lashoff if we dump Leddy and Staal without replacing them....

Also, problem with trading with the Jets is we then free them up to re-sign Andrew Copp, who most certainly is looking like a cap casualty. Though this may be good motivation for them to sell us Dillon for cheap now or at the draft.

If we trade at the draft for a Dman obviously more options will open up with different teams.

The Wild are slumping pretty hard right now. Makes one wish Stevie can fleece them of Rossi in a panic trade hahaha. They also really need to dump some cap with the penalties for Suter and Parise really kicking in next season. 

30 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

The Wild are slumping pretty hard right now. Makes one wish Stevie can fleece them of Rossi in a panic trade hahaha. They also really need to dump some cap with the penalties for Suter and Parise really kicking in next season. 

I read the Wild are seriously considering selling this year. Will depend how the next 2 weeks go for them.

If they don't:

To DET: Victor Rask (cap dump) + Marco Rossi
To MIN: Nick Leddy (50% retained) + Vlad Namestnikov + 4th

If they do:

To DET: Jon Merrill
To MIN: 4th

7 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

I read the Wild are seriously considering selling this year. Will depend how the next 2 weeks go for them.

If they don't:

To DET: Victor Rask (cap dump) + Marco Rossi
To MIN: Nick Leddy (50% retained) + Vlad Namestnikov + 4th

If they do:

To DET: Jon Merrill
To MIN: 4th

Sadly I feel Rossi would be on their untouchable list.