• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Would love to see him become a legit NHL centerman, but I think I'm hoping for a Franzen-type power winger who can play in the middle if absolutely necessary.

Yah, thats middle of the road for me.  Im hoping for poor mans shanahan (top 6 winger), accepting Franzen part 2 (top 9 forward), and being disappointed by Rich mans Riley Sheahan (4th line grinder).

24 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Veleno WILL be a really good 2C.

At one point no less a student of the game than Mike Babcock believed Darren Helm was the "best 3rd line center in hockey".  I'll reserve judgement on Joe Veleno until he actually does something impressive against quality competition.  The road to NHL stardom is littered with guys who everybody just knew "will be really good", but who couldn't hack it. 

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

The trouble with projecting either of Veleno or Rasmussen a few years from now is that we're all really susceptible to recency bias.  A year ago people thought Zadina was making the big club out of camp too.  One year, and a "meh" AHL season later, and people have a totally different perception of things.  If Veleno struggles against AHL competition things change.  If he breaks into the NHL and dominates on the wing, a la AA, then things change. If Ras starts in the AHL and dominates as a center, things change. 

In theory I obviously agree that our centers don't have to be elite offensively if our collect group of wingers are.  I made that point to begin with.  But as I've been saying since before the draft, center is our weakest positional groups right now and a lot is up in the air.  We have one quality NHL center and one quality center prospect.  That's it.  So determining the strength of our center group in 2 or 3 years, with or without a Brayden Schenn is pretty tough.

Yup. The reality is there's a ton of stuff that's up in the air and it makes projecting any distance into the future pretty pointless. Feels like we're close to getting a much better sense of what we have, but until stuff actually plays out...we're basically blind.

Guess my original point was just that, in theory, our forward group is pretty close to being pretty alright. Add Lafreniere/Byfield/Raymond/Holtz to our forward group and we can feel pretty good about our scoring depth. Do the Rangers thing and supplement that high pick with a big addition or two (Kakko --> Trouba, Panarin) and maybe we can start talking about playoffs as early as 2020-21.

Defense looks like it's gonna be rough for a while. I'm really high on Hronek and Seider tho. Hopefully Hronek + Seider + Cholowski + McIsaac turns out to be all we need, give or take a trade or UFA signing.

9 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Franzen part 2 (top 9 forward)

YOU KISS YOUR MUDDA WITH THAT MOUTH?

8 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

At one point no less a student of the game than Mike Babcock believed Darren Helm was the "best 3rd line center in hockey".  I'll reserve judgement on Joe Veleno until he actually does something impressive against quality competition.  The road to NHL stardom is littered with guys who everybody just knew "will be really good", but who couldn't hack it. 

You're missing one fine detail though...

Veleno WILL be a really good 2C.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You're missing one fine detail though...

Veleno WILL be a really good 2C.

Im gonna stick with Kip on this one.  If we draft in the top 4 next year, you can kiss Velenos 2C aspirations bye bye.  Not saying he wont play 2nd line (or even 2nd line C for another team).  Im saying the Wings slot Larkin 1C and any of the first 4 picks next year at 2C game one of 2020-21.

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Im gonna stick with Kip on this one.  If we draft in the top 4 next year, you can kiss Velenos 2C aspirations bye bye.  Not saying he wont play 2nd line (or even 2nd line C for another team).  Im saying the Wings slot Larkin 1C and any of the first 4 picks next year at 2C game one of 2020-21.

Don't make me a party to your incoherent "ideas" you f*cking martian.  I agree with none of what you said here, and I suspect I don't agree with any other aspect of your existence either. 

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Lol.  If there were moderators around here I wouldn't be having this conversation with you.

The Gestappo mods are gone.  Jedi and Mabus are not prone to the bullying of the plastics.  And the plastics are more like end of the movie plastics now and not beginning of the movie.

18 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I'm not big into offer sheets, but would have been worth a try to pry Werenski out of Columbus. He most definitely would have signed one to play for his hometown team, Detroit and BFF, Larkin. Of course it would have had to be something Columbus wouldn't have been able to match... What would that look like? $8M x 7?

Yeah it'd have to be big. 8x7 sounds risky but he's definitely got the potential to make that pay off big time. 

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

C'mon, Sandler hasn't been funny since when?  Big Daddy?

:lol:

Just breaking your chops (I see you’re going at it with others in here in the Prospects thread).

Truth be told - I can’t think of a movie that featured Sandler that I really enjoyed...

Edited by F.Michael

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

:lol:

Just breaking your chops (I see you’re going at it with others in here in the Prospects thread).

Truth be told - I really can’t think of a movie that featured Sandler that I really enjoyed...

You mean you don't enjoy watching adult men act like doofy man-babies?

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Silly goose it’s Charles de Gaulle.

Mother of god, he does look oddly of Charles de Gaulle.  WTF!

In other political news, Igor Larionov was appointed as an advisor to the Russian National Team.  And this move will definitely not end with a show trail if the team fails to deliver.  Putin promises. 

Edited by kipwinger