• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

Well if Mrazek holds up the Canes should be pretty decent again this year.

Wonder why it took so long on Gardiner if he was willing to settle for $4. There's lots of worse Dmen making less than this. Figured he waiting for the Leafs to get their s*** together. Bizarre.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

46 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Makes sense...Last season under contract, and he'll be a UFA come July.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well if Mrazek holds up the Canes should be pretty decent again this year.

Wonder why it took so long on Gardiner if he was willing to settle for $4. There's lots of worse Dmen making less than this. Figured he waiting for the Leafs to get their s*** together. Bizarre.

Guess he was waiting for Dubas to pull some magic. or sumthin to find cap space...Once the season begins, and LTIR $$$ is available - I expect Marner to eat up 99% of it.

Just made me think...

With the Leafs relying upon LTIR $$$ (Horton, and Clarkson) to sign Marner...What will Dubas do next season when that LTIR $$$ won't be available since this is the last season where both players are under contract.

Then again - 3 of their top 4 Dmen will be UFA so that might free up some $$$ if a few don't return.

They really have this 1 year as their window...Might get a bit rough for a few seasons after this one.

the LTIR $$$ have nothing to do with next season, you have to pay your roster players and your injured players, if that sum is above the cap you get relief, without players on LTIR they wouldn´t be over the cap

4 hours ago, ely s said:

the LTIR $$$ have nothing to do with next season, you have to pay your roster players and your injured players, if that sum is above the cap you get relief, without players on LTIR they wouldn´t be over the cap

The LTIR $$$ will allow Dubas to sign Marner.

My point being is both guys mentioned will be off the books, and the Leafs are likely to be in cap hell next season as well (depending on who they try to keep on D).

22 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

The LTIR $$$ will allow Dubas to sign Marner.

My point being is both guys mentioned will be off the books, and the Leafs are likely to be in cap hell next season as well (depending on who they try to keep on D).

No. LTIR only lets them use the cap space devoted to those guys for something else. When those contracts come off the books, they won't need the LTIR anymore, since that money will already be free.

3 minutes ago, Buppy said:

No. LTIR only lets them use the cap space devoted to those guys for something else. When those contracts come off the books, they won't need the LTIR anymore, since that money will already be free.

Does the LTIR not allow the GM to spend over the cap?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a big reason why Dubas acquired Clarkson's contract was to go over the cap just enough to sign Marner when the LTIR $$$ is made available.

27 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Does the LTIR not allow the GM to spend over the cap?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a big reason why Dubas acquired Clarkson's contract was to go over the cap just enough to sign Marner when the LTIR $$$ is made available.

It does, but at the same time the contract still counts toward the cap. It's not any net gain.

e.g.

With Clarkson on LTIR they can spend up to $86.75M, and they have ~$85.35M committed.

Without Clarkson on the books at all they can only spend $81.5M, but their committed amount is only ~$80.1M. 

45 minutes ago, Buppy said:

It does, but at the same time the contract still counts toward the cap. It's not any net gain.

e.g.

With Clarkson on LTIR they can spend up to $86.75M, and they have ~$85.35M committed.

Without Clarkson on the books at all they can only spend $81.5M, but their committed amount is only ~$80.1M. 

Looks as though Dubas can spend approx. $10 sumthin million range by using Clarkson/Horton LTIR $$$.

The 3 of their top 4 UFA Dmen for next season will free up another $11.25 million...Adding salary cap growth (lets be generous, and say the cap will go up by $3 million for the 2020/2021 season)...That'll give Dubas some wiggle room of a hair over $14 million to play with...Not sure if he'll have enough to go around considering they'll want raises.

I think this season will be their best shot at the Cup.

Edited by F.Michael

48 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Looks as though Dubas can spend approx. $10 sumthin million range by using Clarkson/Horton LTIR $$$.

The 3 of their top 4 UFA Dmen for next season will free up another $11.25 million...Adding salary cap growth (lets be generous, and say the cap will go up by $3 million for the 2020/2021 season)...That'll give Dubas some wiggle room of a hair over $14 million to play with...Not sure if he'll have enough to go around considering they'll want raises.

I think this season will be their best shot at the Cup.

Yeah, they won't be able to bring all three back. They do have Sandin and Liljegren in the AHL though

16 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Huh? This is a very team friendly contract... You don't think Gardiner is worth $4.05M per?

I wouldn't have been upset if we signed him to that contract, but I'm glad we didn't do it. I think he's easily worth the money but I don't think I'd want him for four years. 

I was looking at the Clayton Keller contract and his production so far on the NHL....$7.1M? We're in trouble with AA and Mantha.  Even Bertuzzi equaled Keller's point total last season, scored more goals. I feel it is probably in the best interest business-wise to most definitely trade one of them.  What the heck are these contracts being handed out?

37 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I was looking at the Clayton Keller contract and his production so far on the NHL....$7.1M? We're in trouble with AA and Mantha.  Even Bertuzzi equaled Keller's point total last season, scored more goals. I feel it is probably in the best interest business-wise to most definitely trade one of them.  What the heck are these contracts being handed out?

We'll see. We have a far more competent GM. That Keller deal is insane. Or maybe that's what they had to do to convince him to stay in the desert. Who knows. 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Been saying this for awhile.  Holland raped Larkins agent.  Yzerman wont be able to do the same going forward with guys putting up 60 pts plus.  They will command north of 6 mil per.  Thats why ive been pushing for extensions THIS offseason.  8 years, 40 million to both of them would be wise.  Offer incentives if they balk.  If they dont sign, you know their play and can get them traded before they start to cause an issue.

40 minutes ago, amato said:

We'll see. We have a far more competent GM. That Keller deal is insane. Or maybe that's what they had to do to convince him to stay in the desert. Who knows. 

We might be able to get AA, Mantha for ~$6M signed and Bert for $3.5M+ and if they want far more I think Yzerman will just trade them. I reckon Stevie Y is asking for a DRW discount to see who is all in and who is just after the money.

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

That's dumb. If the Keller deal were to set the market, then any good players would cost just as much. Can't be a cheapskate, trading away anyone good before you have to pay them, and expect to build anything. If the market says our guys would cost more than we think, all it would mean is that maybe we'd have to get rid of a bad contract or two in order to sign a good UFA or two.

Beyond that, Keller just turned 21 and has 114 points in 167 games. Larkin is comparable, not the other guys. In fact he's well ahead of Larkin's production at that age. If anything, this deal should keep the cost of our guys down, since none of them are anywhere near as good.

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Been saying this for awhile.  Holland raped Larkins agent.  Yzerman wont be able to do the same going forward with guys putting up 60 pts plus.  They will command north of 6 mil per.  Thats why ive been pushing for extensions THIS offseason.  8 years, 40 million to both of them would be wise.  Offer incentives if they balk.  If they dont sign, you know their play and can get them traded before they start to cause an issue.

Larkin signed for 5 years and could hit UFA before his 27th birthday. Keller gave up 3 extra years of his prime, and has performed better at this point. It's a risky deal, but not necessarily a bad one, and could easily be a huge bargain.

At their age, long-term deals for our kids probably wouldn't get you any appreciable discount. May even cost more. Looking for a new contract at 34 would be much tougher than at 30. They could very well ask for a premium if they're giving you pretty much the rest of their career.