• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Yzerman Lightning Jersey

Rate this topic

This was brought up in Puck Daddy's Jersey Fouls last year. Wyz seems to want to give the idea a pass, but I just can't stand for it.

STEVIE.jpg

Good day to you, Detroit! How are things?

Say, remember that Steve Yzerman fella that was drafted by the Red Wings in 1983, played 1,514 regular-season games and scored 1,755 career points while only wearing the Winged Wheel? The guy that's in the Hockey Fall of Fame as a franchise legend?

You don't mind if the Tampa Bay Lightning pretend their general manager actually played for them too, do you?

From Puck Daddy readers Alix and Jason:

We had a blast when the Wings beat the Lighting in Tampa recently. It's hard to say anything about Yzerman is a Foul, but there is something very wrong with this jersey, even if he is their GM.

Love that almost-'WTF?! look the Detroit fan nearly gives as he's walking by.

While we acknowledge the obvious Foul that is wearing the sweater of someone who never played for your team, let's put this out there: Is there any way a Steve Yzerman Tampa Bay jersey gets a pass as a Tribute Jersey?

Consider this was his name and number combo during his playing days and, frankly, it's iconic. This isn't a "Lamoriello $$" sweater; it's an acknowledgment of a player's legendary status and his immediate impact on a new team.

Again, just playing Devil's Advocate here; please understand that before you grab your torches, Red Wings fans.

This thread reminded me of something that has always kind of bothered me too. Going into Jobing.com arena in Glendale, and of course their rafters are nothing but lights and speakers! In Coyote colors there is banner that hangs in the arena, that says GRETZKY 99. I know obviously his ties as an owner, coach, and obscene paychecks from the organization, but to have a banner hanging like you actually scored goals, won divisions, Cups, and so on is stupid. And it's been up there since day one.

I know that I'm a) resurrecting an old topic and b) replying to myself but I saw one in person last night.

I went to the Griffins / Marlies tilt last night and spotted some guy wearing a Lightning jersey across the ice. I didn't think anything of it until I passed him on the way out. It was an Yzerman jersey with a GM wear the C would go. The worst of it is, across his chest there appeared to be some sort of corporate sponsorship logo. I'd hate to think that these things were ever a give away of any sort. I feel like I must look into this more, despite how painful it may be.

I tried to take a picture of it, but since it's pure evil it didn't show up on camera.

And Nashville has won a Cup. Same difference. ;)

Stevie is Detroit's son, and no one elses. He will never be anything except a Wing to anyone with a brain. TB is just proud to have an icon in their building. But I do agree that anyone who is delusional enough to claim an iota of his greatness as part of the Lightning franchise must work for (or be) Gary Bettman.