• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings Addict

Is Minnesota for real?

Rate this topic

Minnesota has historically been good defensively and most of that has been with great goaltending tandems. This year they have a few more offensive weapons available and it shows with their record.

Both of those things combined with consistent play at home and on the road will lead to points. The main test will come after the AS game and trade deadline during the final stretch to the playoffs when everyone has settled their lineups. If they can continue with their consistency then they can make the playoffs. After that, like every other team, it will be up to goaltending and depth in the lineup.

No. I say that without any hesitation because they are currently #26 in the league in GFA. A team that doesn't score isn't going to go very far. They also have played more games than the Wings and have more shootout and loser points. Despite playing 2 games more than the Wings, their ROW is 3 less than the Wings. That's a 5 game swing in ROW out of only 30 or so games played.

Sure they are great defensively but they are 29th worst in the league in Shots against/game.

So they are poor in offense and give up tons of shots. They are depending totally on goaltending and have gotten 4 "extra" points for shootout wins plus they have played more games.

You have to look beyond the headlines especially in a league that gives points for losing as well as extra points for a skills competition if the game is tied.

As far as Danny Heatley, he has 22 points in 33 games. That's not exactly great.

Minnesota has historically been good defensively and most of that has been with great goaltending tandems. This year they have a few more offensive weapons available and it shows with their record.

Both of those things combined with consistent play at home and on the road will lead to points. The main test will come after the AS game and trade deadline during the final stretch to the playoffs when everyone has settled their lineups. If they can continue with their consistency then they can make the playoffs. After that, like every other team, it will be up to goaltending and depth in the lineup.

Uh. Sorry but No. They are near the bottom of the league in scoring.

I don't buy them as a serious threat to win the West, but I think a playoff spot is definitely likely. They play in a horrible division. The only other team in the Northwest that is any competition to the Wild are the Canucks.

Have to give them credit so far, though. They play a very boring style of game, but it has been effective. Solid defense and very strong goaltending.

Edited by GoWings1905

Heatley has scored like 5 goals in his last 30 playoffs games or something.

They have a no-name defense.

They've never done squat in the playoffs.

I don't think they're a threat to the top teams in the West. And it would be a disaster to the NHL if this boring ass team was a threat and somehow made the Finals.

They must just have a lucky streak going. It will eventually pass.

They may not sustain this level of winning, but I think over two months of playing well is more than just a lucky streak. Their division is definitely weak, but they did beat the Red Wings twice within a couple days and only lost in OT the other meeting.

They may not sustain this level of winning, but I think over two months of playing well is more than just a lucky streak. Their division is definitely weak, but they did beat the Red Wings twice within a couple days and only lost in OT the other meeting.

2 games doesn't mean anything. The standings are artificial because of the shootouts and loser points. If you take away the loser points (OT and shootout loses) and the extra point for winning in a shootout (the game should end in a tie after OT with 1 point to each team), the Wild have 39 points in 33 games which is a .591 percentage. Not bad but not so impressive. Incidently, the Wings are at .629

My point is that they aren't doing that great now. It's all part of Bettman's smoke and mirrors...

2 games doesn't mean anything. The standings are artificial because of the shootouts and loser points. If you take away the loser points (OT and shootout loses) and the extra point for winning in a shootout (the game should end in a tie after OT with 1 point to each team), the Wild have 39 points in 33 games which is a .591 percentage. Not bad but not so impressive. Incidently, the Wings are at .629

My point is that they aren't doing that great now. It's all part of Bettman's smoke and mirrors...

You can hate the point system all you want, but it doesn't change the results. Head-to-head does mean something considering the Wild have picked up 5 of a possible 6 points against the Red Wings so far.

The Wild are sitting near the top of the conference. Using your own formulas doesn't change that. If the Wild aren't doing that great, then no one in the NHL is either. I even stated I don't think they will keep their current pace, but as of now it's hard to say they haven't been impressive.

No credit to Yeo? Seems like it's really true that there is no actual coaching culture in the NHL and everything is just measuring player's point totals and seeing which team has the best star players.

Coaching has a pretty big part in the game of hockey as well, you know.

You can hate the point system all you want, but it doesn't change the results. Head-to-head does mean something considering the Wild have picked up 5 of a possible 6 points against the Red Wings so far.

The Wild are sitting near the top of the conference. Using your own formulas doesn't change that. If the Wild aren't doing that great, then no one in the NHL is either. I even stated I don't think they will keep their current pace, but as of now it's hard to say they haven't been impressive.

My point is that though they may currently be near the top of the conference, it is only smoke and mirrors. By the end of the year, the shootouts and loser points will even out. The shootouts and extra points are spread almost evenly among the teams by the time they play 82 games. Right now Minnesota is on the positive side of that and it makes it look like they are a better team than they are.

And no head-to-head games in the regular season mean nothing in the playoffs. Minnesota is not a better team than the Wings, not by a long shot but yes, they beat us. It doesn't prove anything except that they beat us.

It seems like they should come down to earth eventually. They're leading goal scorer is Brodziak, who has a career high in goals of 16 (he has 11 so far this season).

Heatley is doing as expected, but he's not much of a playoff performer for the money, unless he's got a chip on his shoulder from being ditched by the Sharks.

It seems like being toward the bottom of the league in goals for and having a mediocre power play will catch up with them eventually.

Please explain this. I am so tired of hearing about this Bettman conspiracy to ruin this game that I could puke. Further, what on earth does Gary Bettman (or Sid Crosby -- kidding!) have to do with MN's success? If someone could please direct me to data that ties Gary Bettman to MN winning a bunch of games, I'd love to read it. Seriously, I'd eat that s*** up. Until then, hats off to the WIld for exceeding expectations.

Go Wild, unless you're playing the Wings.

Edited by Uncle Danny

Heatley is doing as expected, but he's not much of a playoff performer for the money, unless he's got a chip on his shoulder from being ditched by the Sharks.

"Yeah. f***, you know-Whatever f***. I'm Dany f***in' Heatley and I'm sittin' here, I'm the f***in' all-star and I deliver in the f***in' playoffs better than anybody. You don't know what the f*** you're talking about. I mean, f***, you a f***in' all-star?-I didn't f***in' think so. Shut the f*** up with your non-all-star opinion there talking but me ditched by the f***in' Sharks that's totally not how it f***in' happened. I'm the all-star - I f***in' made the trade demand you little *****."

Go Wild, unless you're playing the Wings.

I don't know if I particularly like the Wild enough to hope they win when they don't play the Wings. Although I can't wait for Granlund to make the move to NA. It'd be cool to see Koivu and Granlund lead the Wild top six.

Guest stinky fish taco

Another team with a fluke record a la s***cago.

the wings have been looking up at chicago all season long and that doesn't look to be changing any time soon.

yeah, real "fluke", those hawks. LOL

I don't see the Hawks or Wild keeping up their paces, its still a long season and sooner or later it will change. It is nice to see teams like The Blues and Wild doing good though, fan bases are strong and they deserve to have some good hockey to cheer for.

They got Dive-a-guchi and Danny Where-did-he go?!?.

They will make the playoffs and like the Blues and will go out first round.

They have a decent portion of the talent, have to choke back the vomit, that the Sharks had.

They've made a good run so far and I think it will carry them over but they wont be 1st and they wont be a top 4 seed either. They are riding momentum at the moment and with a week off fo AS I think it will slow to a crawl.

I call them in the 7th seed by the end of the season right in front of the Blues.

They got Dive-a-guchi and Danny Where-did-he go?!?.

They will make the playoffs and like the Blues and will go out first round.

They have a decent portion of the talent, have to choke back the vomit, that the Sharks had.

They've made a good run so far and I think it will carry them over but they wont be 1st and they wont be a top 4 seed either. They are riding momentum at the moment and with a week off fo AS I think it will slow to a crawl.

I call them in the 7th seed by the end of the season right in front of the Blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWFjeK0_45I

Edited by Red Wings Addict

No credit to Yeo? Seems like it's really true that there is no actual coaching culture in the NHL and everything is just measuring player's point totals and seeing which team has the best star players.

Coaching has a pretty big part in the game of hockey as well, you know.

^This.