61 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

Quebec government critical of Habs hiring non-French speaking coach

QUEBEC CITY — The Quebec government isn’t pleased about the hiring of a Montreal Canadiens coach who can’t speak French.

The province’s culture minister says she expects the Habs to correct the situation.

Christine St-Pierre isn’t quite calling for the firing of new coach Randy Cunneyworth, who was just hired over the weekend. But she says the Habs have given the impression his hiring is temporary, and she takes them at their word. The former NHL forward’s title is interim coach.

The hiring has created a frenzy of media reaction, including calls for a boycott of products associated with the Canadiens. But judging from the reaction on social-networking sites, the response of regular Montreal fans may be slightly less critical.

Identity debates like the current one occasionally place Quebec’s Liberal government in a quandary. The pro-Canada Charest government often faces pressure from its more nationalist opponents to take an aggressive stand in defending Quebec’s identity.

Critics of the hiring say the Canadiens are more than just a hockey team and, for more than a century, have been an institution that represents French-Canadian pride.

Canadiens owner Geoff Molson sent a letter to fans Monday to explain the hiring of Cunneyworth, who was elevated from his assistant coach job after Jacques Martin was fired Saturday with a 13-12-7 record.

“The action was taken to remedy the situation without further delay,” Molson wrote. “Randy Cunneyworth is a qualified and experienced coach who has earned the respect of the players and everyone within the organisation.”

Molson said language would be a factor when, at the end of the season, the team hires a permanent coach. He said finding a coach who can win is the main priority, but language ability will also count.

“It is obvious that the ability for the head coach to express himself in both French and English will be a very important factor in the selection of the permanent head coach,” he said.

One columnist Monday compared the Canadiens to Spanish soccer team Barcelona, which expects its players to learn the Catalan language and whose slogan is “More than a team.”

Francophone hockey writers are also wondering where else Quebecers can get a start in the NHL if the Canadiens won’t give them one.

They point out that most other Quebecers coaching in the NHL, including both of last year’s Stanley Cup finalists, got their start coaching the Habs.

Another common refrain heard in Montreal is that fans would be willing to support the hiring of a coach who can’t speak French if it were someone like the accomplished Mike Babcock, or local hero Kirk Muller.

The Habs have not had an only English-speaking coach since the 1970-71 season, when Al MacNeil coached them. They won a Stanley Cup that year but MacNeil had a poor relationship with some players and was demoted to the minors after the season.

A Toronto native, the 50-year-old Cunneyworth played 16 seasons in the NHL with the Sabres, Penguins, Jets, Whalers, Blackhawks and Senators, scoring 414 points in the regular season.

“I have the utmost respect for the language here and I am very aware of how important it is to try and learn the language,” he said after running his first practice. “Obviously I know a few words, and not all the good ones.”

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

What a crock. As far as I know, Scotty Bowman, Toe Blake, and Dick Irvin never spoke French.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:22 PM

Isn't Cunnyworth just interim? If so, expect them to hire Roy after this season.

#3 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

The Quebecois are a really unlikable, prejudiced bunch, arne't they?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#4 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

Isn't Cunnyworth just interim? If so, expect them to hire Roy after this season.

Is this an actual rumor?

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#5 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

Is this an actual rumor?

Well, he would have answered if they came calling. it might have something to do with him coaching his own team as well.

Edited by Tim.D, 20 December 2011 - 10:45 AM.

#6 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

The Quebecois are a really unlikable, prejudiced bunch, arne't they?

I'm sure that most level-headed Quebecois think that their culture minister needs to get the sand out of her arse.

#7 WhiteLightning91

WhiteLightning91

Feed the Mule!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

Bob Hartley?

Stanley Cup winner, first language is French. May just wanna come back from Switzerland if a head coaching job was offered to him. But does he want to coach in Montreal?

Edited by WhiteLightning91, 20 December 2011 - 12:20 AM.

GMRwings1983: "Hudler has been stellar"

#8 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

What a crock. As far as I know, Scotty Bowman, Toe Blake, and Dick Irvin never spoke French.

Actually Scotty does speak french quite fluently. He just doesn't have an accent like Balki from Perfect Strangers.

#9 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:58 AM

That is absoloutely terrible, i hate this

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#10 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:10 AM

This is not suprising! Whats funny is that Montreal also has a huge Muslim population as well, and I know for a fact they don't speak French! I just to do not follow their logic on this?????

#11 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

For a southern wings fan, could I get a pronunciation of Quebecois?

Not very familar with the term and would be nice if I knew what the people of Quebec were called so I could enjoy the thread a little more.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#12 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

Think of how the Florida Panthers announcers PROBABLY pronounce Tomas Kopecky.

Now, we tend to make "Que" sound like "KWE", when it is actually pronounced "KAY". Does that help at all?
Hockeytown - No Limits

#13 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

geez Cunneyworth has had like 2 games to coach so far? I understand the whole French thing, but in all seriousness how would they feel if he leads them deep into the playoffs and makes them into serious cup contenders?

I saw on NHL on the Fly tonight when they had Bob McKenzie on and he said that this kind of situation is slightly similar to when Marc Crawford was hired to coach the Nordiques years ago and he said that Crawford went to French lessons for several hours a day for like 3-4 months before the season started. Hope they really give the guy a chance to coach and see what he can do. I'd rather have a coach that wins hockey games over a coach that can speak another language any day of the week and twice on sunday.
HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#14 Jenny

Jenny

Geeky Goalie Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:52 AM

Not very familar with the term and would be nice if I knew what the people of Quebec were called so I could enjoy the thread a little more.

I've heard it usually as Keh-beh-kwa.

detroit-skyline.jpg

My priorities: 1-Hockey. 2-Sleep. 3-Food. 4-Everything Else.

No, Ozzie is NOT the Breakfast Wizard!" -- my husband

#15 Average Ball of Hate

Average Ball of Hate

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

I'm hardly a Quebecois, but the McKenzie story about Marc Crawford in Quebec is how I've always understood the situation - make the effort and they'll embrace you, even if it's not your first language.

That said, is there really any question that this attitude is holding back the franchise in a big way? The NHL is too competitive to let prejudice help make personnel decisions.

#16 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:40 AM

Kay-beh-kwa. A female from Montreal would be a Québécoise, pronounced kay-be-kwaz.

To answer another question, Scotty Bowman was born and raised in Montreal, so one would assume he can speak French quite fluently.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#17 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,920 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

Please, please, please, let Homer retire and get a job as the Habs head coach.

#18 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

I'm sure that most level-headed Quebecois think that their culture minister needs to get the sand out of her arse.

I wouldn't be so sure, I bet theres a direct link between this attitude and that of the separatism bs they seem to always be going through. Like 40% of the quebec population feel they'd be better not a part of Canada. IMO there is a difference between caring about your culture and preserving your heritage and being an assholes.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#19 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

Please, please, please, let Homer retire and get a job as the Habs head coach.

hahaha
Posted Image

#20 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

The situation will be addressed in the off-season, or so they say. I'm guessing sooner, rather than later. Saddest is the fact that turning this rock over made Roy reappear.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.