• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Quebec culture minister upset at Habs

Rate this topic

what are you talking about?

the only reason that liberal should shut the f*ck up because government has absolutely nothing to do with this particular business. It has neither legal nor ethical right to tell businesses who and why they should hire! Period.

And Molson Family instead their statement should have cut it in to the form similar to this: 'Pardon my French, madam, but got f*ck your self!'

What you americans arent understanding is that Quebec is a majority french province who have been striving for decades to preserve their language. The canadiens are a major symbol of the french people, they have sport shows where all they talk about is the habs. Now they have a teams with like zero french players of any significance, an owner who never talks to the media, a gm who never talks to the media, and now an entire coaching staff that can't speak french. Jacque Martin literally did all the interviews for that team. I know that montreal is pretty bilingual, but the entire province is habs crazy. 90% of the fans are french. So who will now be the spokesman for the team? Could you imagine how pissed you'd be if the no one froms the wings where ever avialable for interviews? now multiply that by 10. Thats how they feel, its totally understandable they atleast dont have an assistant coach who can speak french. Is that too much to ask?

What you americans arent understanding is that Quebec is a majority french province who have been striving for decades to preserve their language. The canadiens are a major symbol of the french people, they have sport shows where all they talk about is the habs. Now they have a teams with like zero french players of any significance, an owner who never talks to the media, a gm who never talks to the media, and now an entire coaching staff that can't speak french. Jacque Martin literally did all the interviews for that team. I know that montreal is pretty bilingual, but the entire province is habs crazy. 90% of the fans are french. So who will now be the spokesman for the team? Could you imagine how pissed you'd be if the no one froms the wings where ever avialable for interviews? now multiply that by 10. Thats how they feel, its totally understandable they atleast dont have an assistant coach who can speak french. Is that too much to ask?

How many of those 90% French speaking fans do you think can speak English as well? Probably close to all of them especially the younger ones. So would it really be a burden to listen to an interview from the coach in English which you can certainly understand just fine? It's a game FFS. Everything of importance in their life like business and whatever else is probably done in French. I actually went to Montreal 2 years ago in the summer. I don't speak a lick of French and I had no trouble eating out or going to bars or anything really.

How many of those 90% French speaking fans do you think can speak English as well? Probably close to all of them especially the younger ones. So would it really be a burden to listen to an interview from the coach in English which you can certainly understand just fine? It's a game FFS. Everything of importance in their life like business and whatever else is probably done in French. I actually went to Montreal 2 years ago in the summer. I don't speak a lick of French and I had no trouble eating out or going to bars or anything really.

Like I said, montreal is bilingual, but the rest of the province is not. I'd say at least a majority would be unable to understand an interview in english. They also would be unable to read quotes in the newspaper, things are lost in translation... If scotty bowman was expected to learn french, then its not unreasonable for this bum to learn too.

Like I said, montreal is bilingual, but the rest of the province is not. I'd say at least a majority would be unable to understand an interview in english. They also would be unable to read quotes in the newspaper, things are lost in translation... If scotty bowman was expected to learn french, then its not unreasonable for this bum to learn too.

If only they had some kind of subtitle to interpret the English speak to French speak.

Oh well, guess they will be in the dark for all interviews.

Edited by Doc Holliday

I speak semi-fluent French. I mean, I could go to Paris or Montreal and get along fine, without needing to rely on English much to get around. If I ever planned on moving to either locale, it would behoove me to learn French to a much greater extent than I already do, because if I'm going to live and work amongst people that speak that language, I need to know it well enough to communicate with people who may not speak English at all. You're always supposed to work from the perspective of the least, not the greatest. Meaning, learn a language to be able to effectively communicate with someone who has zero English language skills. That way, you're guaranteed to be fine with people who speak varying degrees of English as well.

If you're going to coach the Montreal Canadiens, you need to speak French. That is what happens when you choose to live and work in a city where English is not the dominant or majority language. It would be no different than Babs going to coach in Russia and then not learning to speak Russian. He'd be mocked, and rightly so.

please don't get me started about Francophones and their approach to "ze-uerlzd", especially when ze-uerlzd is speaking English, towards which they

have an utterly prevailing small d* syndrome (not French per se, but Canadian Francophones are prime example here).

I live in Netherlands and am quite often in Belgium, Luxemburg, Switzerland or France. wherever there is a French speaking community there are people

who show zero effort to try any other language. even in bilingual Belgium (where there really is no escape from bilingualism) people in Wallon refuse to

speak Flemish which they learn in school. same goes to French part of Switzerland - where the German speaking part is generally modern, tech savvy

and open to other cultures, Francophones are just hopeless... they answer English or German emails in French, provide no translations of their web pages

(if they have one at all!) and generally show little effort to help you.

anyway, we do have some friends who are French here, and at personal level they are quite OK. zey onestly do spiik inglish diferónt, meehh... zey ah

generalement tres bien. unless they start complaining about things not being to their liking (very easy in spartan Dutch culture) - then you instantly get

the impression, that every French is raised in profound conviction that the only reason other people exist is to kiss Frencj in the *ss. and they sure bi* a lot...

Scuse my french... mais tu es un cave!!!

Thats how they feel, its totally understandable they atleast dont have an assistant coach who can speak french. Is that too much to ask?

to the defense of Cunneyworth - he didn't even have a chance to react but was slammed directly by the media. I understand it's mostly "garbage" journalists, but come on... the guy should at least get some time to get his French to decent level. he should be fine after living in Montreal for a while (I can't really imagine that he doesn't understand a lot passively) so the only thing he needs to do is to get hold on some basics to be able to produce some correct sentences. for now.

I have myself moved from Poland to Netherlands 4 years ago. despite knowing best that 90% of Dutch are perfectly fine with English at daily basis, on the very second day in NL I started learning the language, for the pure sake of my own comfort of living in this country and out of respect to people with whom I'd have to work.

you don't really have to convince me that learning the language of the host country/province (or at least putting an effort to do so) is a must - I know it first hand. what I don't get is so much outrage directed towards an employee. Poor guy is just trying to do his job...

Scuse my french... mais tu es un cave!!!

oh yes, thanks for the knowledgeable opinion that adds so much value to the discussion... unfortunately, I'm not 15 years old any more, and won't bite on this crap...