• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kindl Surprise

World Juniors Tournament

Rate this topic

From TSN:

Canada will have to battle for the bronze medal against Finland without the services of forward Boone Jenner.

Jenner, as well as Russian defenceman Ildar Isangulov, were handed one-game suspensions by the International Ice Hockey Federation for separate incidents in Tuesday's semi-final game between the teams.

Serves Canada right, enough trying to build these "NHL" style teams. Get the most talented players on the team like the Swedes and Russians do. Of the top 10 scorers in the QMJHL, only one had an invite to camp and was cut (Zach Phillips). Of the top 10 scorers in the OHL, only 2 were invited to camp and Tyler Toffoli was cut for some reason..obviously 30 goals in 34 games isn't good enough for Team Canada. Of the top 10 scorers in the WHL only 3 were invited and Ty Rattie (the LEADING) point getter was cut 37 goals in 37 games. Give me a ******* break, there's a reason the Canadian teams were so good from 2001-2009 because we always had top end offensive talent leading the team. I won't even get started on the goaltending because once again they picked the wrong 2 guys and it cost them. Maybe they'll learn next year.

As far as Russia, I hate to say it but they deserved that win, they were the better team.

Balance is important though, you don't want to have 4 lines of all skilled scorers (maybe you do?). If you want to run and gun and take your chances, maybe that's what you do, but that is a very risky game plan.

I think you do have a bit of a point though, maybe they should go a little more skilled, but I think it is important to add some perspective to the stats you referenced (i.e. only x of the top 10 scorers invited)...not all of those top 10 scorers were elibile, see below:

WHL - of the top 10, 2 are overage and 2 are non-Canadian

OHL - of the top 10, 2 are overage and 2 are non-Canadian

QMJHL - of the top 10, 4 are overage and 1 is non-Canadian

I really hope to see Pulu step up his game in the bronze medal game. i know that sounds weird for a guy who is averaging two points a game, but now is his time to shine. Backman was one of my favorite picks and once he fills out to 200 pounds + he is going to be a beast.

Side note: in his junior days, Pulu hit everything he saw and mucked it up, but it's understandable after those shoulder injuries he has taken it easy over the past couple seasons. i hope he shows off his physicality during the second half of the Finnish season.

Well that was nearly the greatest comebacks I've seen in a long time. Just not meant to be this year, but still very proud of the boys!!

I got to give the Russians all the credit though, they're all playing with heavy hearts. Should be a good final against the Swedes :thumbup:

I saw a complete comeback like that a year ago in the final :)

Took more than 10 minutes for Russia to get their first shot on goal in the game.

Sweden just dominating. Makes me a bit nervous that the Russian goalie is playing so well though.. and the skilled Russians can all of a sudden wake up and strike.

I didn't see the first two periods, but the third is awesome! Were the first two this good?

How awesome would it be for Russia to beat Sweden after being down like that? And for the record, I want Russia to win because the Canadians are rooting for the Swedes because Russia beat Canada. How's that for spite? :cool:

Edited by rrasco

I didn't see the first two periods, but the third is awesome! Were the first two this good?

How awesome would it be for Russia to beat Sweden after being down like that? And for the record, I want Russia to win because the Canadians are rooting for the Swedes because Russia beat Canada. How's that for spite? :cool:

I want the Swedes to win because Russia didn't start skating until the third... :angry:

Nothing to to with losing. Unwritten rule. If you are Canadian you do not hope for the US and you do not hope for Russia, if you can help it. It's that simple. lol

Congrats to Canada for getting a medal 14 years straight :clap: They made us proud.

Was so glad to see Sweden beat the Russians as was most of the croud. I was at the pub for the game and the whole pub was cheering once that goal got scored. Congrats for the first gold in 30 years!!

Till next year, great job Alberta hosting and passing the torch onto Russia now