• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Howard 5th in ASG voting in goalies

Rate this topic

He is behind James Reimer, Tim Thomas, MAF, and Carey Price. Although he is not expected to catch Reimer, it is still pretty cool how he's fifth without being on the ballot.

Since he's a write in candidate, and sitting 5th atm... If the ASG started tomorrow he would be playing. They take the first 6 goalies voted. The fans only ensure who gets to play first on each side (number 1 and 2). But I believe these games are played with 3 goalies on each team, with each goalie playing 20 minutes. If they stick to that formula...he's top 6 atm.

EDIT: Unless write-in candidates are not considered...and are there just for show?

EDIT 2: Apparently the fans only choose the fate of one goalie...the rest is up to the NHL?

---NOTE: Fans will determine the first 6 players chosen to participate in the 2012 Tim Horton's NHL All-Star Game (3 Forwards, 2 Defensemen, 1 Goalie).---

Edited by Dynheart

What people fail to realize is the vote is only for those first 6 positions. Beyond that the fan vote has 0 relevance. Anyone saying he will get a few days rest doesn't get it. Jimmy Howard will be in this years asg unless the wings claim an injury. And one period of work isn't going to kill the kid.

He'll be on the ballet next year hopefully. As long as he keeps doing what he's doing.

Why? He's been doing pretty good so far. I hope he will be playing hockey next year...

Edited by ami

Blah, it's just an ASG. I know it's nice to be recognized (especially by your peers and coaches) but right now he has Vezina-type numbers and I would think if he is in the running for that instead of the ASG, he may be a bit more proud.

Nice that folks are recognizing his stats as ASG worthy, but if he doesn't make it and wins the Vezina, that sits better with me anyhow...Besides, remember the last time our goalie went to the ASG after having a superb first half? Osgood, and what did he do the second half? Could hardly win a game. Jimmy needs the rest come ASG, I hope he gets it.

Since he's a write in candidate, and sitting 5th atm... If the ASG started tomorrow he would be playing. They take the first 6 goalies voted. The fans only ensure who gets to play first on each side (number 1 and 2). But I believe these games are played with 3 goalies on each team, with each goalie playing 20 minutes. If they stick to that formula...he's top 6 atm.

EDIT: Unless write-in candidates are not considered...and are there just for show?

EDIT 2: Apparently the fans only choose the fate of one goalie...the rest is up to the NHL?

---NOTE: Fans will determine the first 6 players chosen to participate in the 2012 Tim Horton's NHL All-Star Game (3 Forwards, 2 Defensemen, 1 Goalie).---

What people fail to realize is the vote is only for those first 6 positions. Beyond that the fan vote has 0 relevance. Anyone saying he will get a few days rest doesn't get it. Jimmy Howard will be in this years asg unless the wings claim an injury. And one period of work isn't going to kill the kid.

That's what I figured as well. Howard will play in the ASG this season.

I guess they scrapped the system they had a season ago, where Staal and Lidstrom picked the teams. At least I haven't heard anything about it this time around.

Just a little bit o' info, if Jimmy Howard keeps up his pace of his first 2.5 seasons throughout his career, and plays as long as Brodeur has played, he will eclipse the all time goaltender wins record. Not too shabby of a potential future, eh? Go Jimmy!

edit: of course, there are other goalie that may pass that record too, but Jimmy is off to a HOF career start!

Edited by LeftWinger

Let's just say it's a shame that JH is not on the ballot. ASG is just a popularity contest. Glad JH can have a restful few days, I remember that some players would really prefer to just take those few days off. That is their reward for being good.

He'll be added to the roster. The ballot only picks the starting two goalies with league operations assigning the last 4 spots.

He'll be added to the roster. The ballot only picks the starting two goalies with league operations assigning the last 4 spots.

I am pretty sure just 1 goalie is actually chosen via the fan vote. So Reimer will get an undeserved spot (I say undeserved because the dude didn't play part of this season and hasn't put up incredible numbers). The next 5 will be chosen by the league. The only spots fan selected are 3 forwards (any position), 2 D, and 1G. Then we get the draft again... love it!

Such bulls*** that he isn't on the ballot being the leader in wins at this juncture for f***'s sake.

Wins alone say very little about how well a goalie is playing. A goalie can rack up the wins with a 2.75 GAA as long as the team in front of him is scoring in bunches.

Howard's GAA and Save % say a lot more about his play.

Elliot has been the best goaltender in the NHL this year (leads the league in shutouts, GAA and Save %) and he's not on the ballot, nor is he getting any love from write in votes either...which is crazy and says a lot about how it's not about how good you are playing but how popular you are... but that's something I'm fine with...I'd rather he rest up.

You guys should probably be hoping Howard doesn't make the ASG. He's started 28 out of 32 games so far and is on pace to start 72 games this season...that's a lot...one could say that's too many. That would be far more than he has ever started in a season. He could use the rest I am sure.

Wins alone say very little about how well a goalie is playing. A goalie can rack up the wins with a 2.75 GAA as long as the team in front of him is scoring in bunches.

Howard's GAA and Save % say a lot more about his play.

Elliot has been the best goaltender in the NHL this year (leads the league in shutouts, GAA and Save %) and he's not on the ballot, nor is he getting any love from write in votes either...which is crazy and says a lot about how it's not about how good you are playing but how popular you are... but that's something I'm fine with...I'd rather he rest up.

You guys should probably be hoping Howard doesn't make the ASG. He's started 28 out of 32 games so far and is on pace to start 72 games this season...that's a lot...one could say that's too many. That would be far more than he has ever started in a season. He could use the rest I am sure.

Howard is young. If there is ever a time to ride him in his career it's now. And I would certainly say wins have more than very little importance when it comes to judging a goalie. It's not the only thing but when you combine how he has faced the 10th most shots in the league, and has the 5th best GAA, and has played the 4th most games as a goaltender this year, that adds up to a consistent rock solid goalie who can make a big save or two when the team needs it to get the win.

Howard is young. If there is ever a time to ride him in his career it's now. And I would certainly say wins have more than very little importance when it comes to judging a goalie. It's not the only thing but when you combine how he has faced the 10th most shots in the league, and has the 5th best GAA, and has played the 4th most games as a goaltender this year, that adds up to a consistent rock solid goalie who can make a big save or two when the team needs it to get the win.

I'm not saying he hasn't played well. He's played very well.

But wins ALONE don't mean squat when judging how good a goalie is. Wins are a team stat. He could win every game 6-4 and have a horrible GAA and Save%, but be 25-0.

Based on stats, who wins the Vezina?

Goalie A: 58 starts, 39 wins, 2.25 GAA, .919 Save%.

Goalie B: 50 starts, 34 wins, 1.70 GAA, .940 Save%.

Young or not, every player gets fatigued at some point. And a young goalie starting significantly more games in a season than he ever has before, might be a cause for concern just because it's uncharted waters...especially if a long, grinding playoff run is the goal.

Edited by cprice12

But wins ALONE don't mean squat when judging how good a goalie is. Wins are a team stat. He could win every game 6-4 and have a horrible GAA and Save%, but be 25-0.

Young or not, every player gets fatigued at some point. And a young goalie starting significantly more games in a season than he ever has before, might be a cause for concern just because it's uncharted waters...especially if a long, grinding playoff run is the goal.

Obviously with those numbers I would pick B but if they looked a bit more like this...

Goalie A: 65 starts, 42 wins, 1.95 GAA, .925 Save%.

Goalie B: 54 starts, 32 wins, 1.70 GAA, .940 Save%.

I would pick goalie A every time. With that being said, if Elliot gets the majority of the workload and not Halak and he keeps his numbers up, he will win the Vezina.

Lest you forget, long playoff runs are not uncharted waters for the Red Wings. ASG's are nice, Vezina's are better, but I will take goalie A hands down if he wins 16 games in the post season with that GAA and Save%. Which is why Chris Osgood has 3 Cups and tell me again which Blues goalie has even one while playing in St. Louis? Eliot can have the Vezina and the ASG for all I care, or any other goalie, call me when he (or any blues goalie) wins a Cup.

As a matter of fact, just to comment on your little Goalie A & B scenario, Osgood's stats in the 2007-2008 were 2.09GAA and .914%. In 1998, when he was ONLY 25 BTW (Howard is currently 27,) his stats in the regular season were 2.21GAA and .913%. Which I think even you would accept if your goalie was hoisting the Cup in June. So for my books, you can have all the Hart's, ASG's, Vezina's and personal accolades, I will take 4 Cups in 11 years and a goal post away from a 5th in 12 yrs with the not so good stats.

Yes...because he has a bad season on a bad team early in his short career, that means he can never play well...ever. Players never get better or come into their own after a few years. Got it.

Also something I didn't know...because Harding & the Wild are struggling now, that means Elliott and the Blues will too eventually. Got it.

I'm not saying Elliott is going to keep it up...nobody knows. All I know is, he has played better, and more consistent than any Blues goalie I have ever seen...and I've been watching Blues hockey for almost 30 years.

Armstrong and the Blues did their research before they signed him...and it's paying off so far, big time.

I'm looking forward to the game tonight...should be fun.

30 years eh? So the name Roman Turek means nothing to you then? I would think with your love for regular season stats with no Cups, you would love Turek to death!