Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Will Jimmy Howard Be Overworked For Playoffs?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LeonardSankar

LeonardSankar

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

Just curious to know with Jimmy starting on pace for like 70 games will he be overworked for the playoffs? I know it would help if Ty Conklin didn't suck when they played him but it would be nice if they had a reliable backup goalie as it seems they are not confident when Ty starts as they have only won 1 game when he has been between the pipes.

When your goalie starts so many regular season games and then you expect a run to the cup from him it can get quite taxing as I think Grant Fuhr & Martin Brodeur are the only ones that I can remember who started so many games and still won a Cup to go along with it.

#2 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

Yes but what other choice does babs have.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#3 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

Probably.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#4 LeonardSankar

LeonardSankar

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

Do you think they might go to Joey MacDonald or try to find a reliable backup via trade. I don't think Bab's likes Ty very much at this point and you really do need more than 1 decent goalie these days.

#5 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

Probably.

At the same time, we all know how tight that playoff race is. Teams have absolutely zero breathing room. Wings have to worry about today and do what they have to do to win games.

#6 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

I still think a trade with the Islanders for Nabby has some merit...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#7 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

He could just plan on using Ty for certain games and go with it. This is the same type of thing he did to Jimmy his rookie year.

Probably.

At the same time, we all know how tight that playoff race is. Teams have absolutely zero breathing room. Wings have to worry about today and do what they have to do to win games.

Yes, but then what happens when Jimmy is run down from a long season? He has a few bad games and we're out of the playoffs, with everyone blaming him. It's up to management to get us a reliable back up goalie. But if the coach doesn't even give the guy a chance - which he is not doing with Conkin he's setting up Jimmy for failure and worse potential for injury.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#8 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

He could just plan on using Ty for certain games and go with it. This is the same type of thing he did to Jimmy his rookie year.

Yes, but then what happens when Jimmy is run down from a long season? He has a few bad games and we're out of the playoffs, with everyone blaming him. It's up to management to get us a reliable back up goalie. But if the coach doesn't even give the guy a chance - which he is not doing with Conkin he's setting up Jimmy for failure and worse potential for injury.

They will give Conklin a few more starts, then roll with Joey Mac if necessary. Howard won't be overworked to end the season so long as the Wings are safely in the top four spots.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#9 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Most likely; that, or a victim of "goaltender interference".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#10 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

At this point in the season, I'm not too worried about it. As long as he gets some rest in March and isn't playing every game, he'll be fine for the playoffs.

#11 LeonardSankar

LeonardSankar

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

At this point in the season, I'm not too worried about it. As long as he gets some rest in March and isn't playing every game, he'll be fine for the playoffs.

The only thing with that theory is that I don't think by March the Wings will have wrapped up the top spot in the conference as the Hawks, Canucks and possibly Sharks will all be in the running and they may not have the luxury of resting Jimmy b/c the difference b/t being seeded #1 or #4 my be the difference in coming out of the West or getting eliminated in the second round.

Back in 2002 & 2008 the Wings had all but wrapped up the Presidents trophy by March and thus could afford to rest alot of their veterans and it payed off come spring.

#12 BryceWings

BryceWings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Unless they get a different back up they can trust more. I think he might be too tired when playoffs come around

#13 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Most likely, but Jimmy is also pretty young still. I imagine he can handle the work load now better than he will five years from now.

Also, I can't imagine Babs rolling Jimmy as hard as he's been for the rest of the season. I expect he's hoping to separate the Wings from 8th place enough to give a backup goalie (whether its Conklin, MacDonald, Nabakov, or anyone else) a low-stress scenario to hop into a little ways down the road. I hope to see a 70-30 down the stretch, if possible.

Edited by Echolalia, 21 December 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#14 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Being smart? He's playing Jimmy too much.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#15 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,061 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

nvm

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 21 December 2011 - 11:28 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#16 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Sorry, wrong thread

Edited by McAwesome, 21 December 2011 - 11:58 PM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#17 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

He probably will be overworked by the time the playoffs come, hopefully not. Wings are going to have either start Conklin a few games or risk Jimmy going on burn-out. I know Ty has not been up to par but I'm not quite sure what the Wings can do. Conks is going to have to find it in himself to get better and improve so that the Wings can start relying on him a little bit and give Jimmy at least a small break. I'm not sure if the Wings can trade Ty being he only signed for one season and not to mention not sure who's out there to make a trade for and who's willing to give up a decent back-up for Conklin. Hopefully the Wings will figure something out before the push Jimmy to far.

#18 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:14 PM

Being smart? He's playing Jimmy too much.

With the way Jimmy has been playing the wings are what 15-4-1 (a guess I didn't look it up) in the last 20 and are still only in 4th in the west.
With all of the 3 point games it has become much more difficult to make up ground. This also makes Oct and Nov games as important as Feb and March.
Lets say he plays Conks, and Conks doesn't improve (I hope he will), if he gives Conks 10 games the rest of the way and Conks goes 2-8-0, what then?
And the Way Conks has played I would be surprised if he could get those two wins I gave him.

There is also only 9 points seperating 1st in the west from 8th in the west.

The Red Wings goaltender situation right now is 1 and 4, not 1a and 1b.

The only NHL ready netminder the team has based on this years play is Howard. Just like last year when everyone was crying for Ozzie. Babs and the coaching staff realize they have one netminder they can rely on.

Now Conks could go on a tear and all of the sudden look like an NHL goaltender, but as of yet he has shown nothing even close to NHL caliber play.

Edited by Opie, 22 December 2011 - 09:15 PM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#19 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

Let's play a guessing game... I'm going to throw out a number, and you tell me what it stands for

I'll give you a hint, it has to do with Howard and it's not an on ice stat...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#20 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:42 AM

Let's play a guessing game... I'm going to throw out a number, and you tell me what it stands for

I'll give you a hint, it has to do with Howard and it's not an on ice stat...

Howard's favorite integer between 5 and 7?