• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

Will Jimmy Howard Be Overworked For Playoffs?

Rate this topic

Just curious to know with Jimmy starting on pace for like 70 games will he be overworked for the playoffs? I know it would help if Ty Conklin didn't suck when they played him but it would be nice if they had a reliable backup goalie as it seems they are not confident when Ty starts as they have only won 1 game when he has been between the pipes.

When your goalie starts so many regular season games and then you expect a run to the cup from him it can get quite taxing as I think Grant Fuhr & Martin Brodeur are the only ones that I can remember who started so many games and still won a Cup to go along with it.

Yes but what other choice does babs have.

He could just plan on using Ty for certain games and go with it. This is the same type of thing he did to Jimmy his rookie year.

Probably.

At the same time, we all know how tight that playoff race is. Teams have absolutely zero breathing room. Wings have to worry about today and do what they have to do to win games.

Yes, but then what happens when Jimmy is run down from a long season? He has a few bad games and we're out of the playoffs, with everyone blaming him. It's up to management to get us a reliable back up goalie. But if the coach doesn't even give the guy a chance - which he is not doing with Conkin he's setting up Jimmy for failure and worse potential for injury.

He could just plan on using Ty for certain games and go with it. This is the same type of thing he did to Jimmy his rookie year.

Yes, but then what happens when Jimmy is run down from a long season? He has a few bad games and we're out of the playoffs, with everyone blaming him. It's up to management to get us a reliable back up goalie. But if the coach doesn't even give the guy a chance - which he is not doing with Conkin he's setting up Jimmy for failure and worse potential for injury.

They will give Conklin a few more starts, then roll with Joey Mac if necessary. Howard won't be overworked to end the season so long as the Wings are safely in the top four spots.

At this point in the season, I'm not too worried about it. As long as he gets some rest in March and isn't playing every game, he'll be fine for the playoffs.

The only thing with that theory is that I don't think by March the Wings will have wrapped up the top spot in the conference as the Hawks, Canucks and possibly Sharks will all be in the running and they may not have the luxury of resting Jimmy b/c the difference b/t being seeded #1 or #4 my be the difference in coming out of the West or getting eliminated in the second round.

Back in 2002 & 2008 the Wings had all but wrapped up the Presidents trophy by March and thus could afford to rest alot of their veterans and it payed off come spring.

Most likely, but Jimmy is also pretty young still. I imagine he can handle the work load now better than he will five years from now.

Also, I can't imagine Babs rolling Jimmy as hard as he's been for the rest of the season. I expect he's hoping to separate the Wings from 8th place enough to give a backup goalie (whether its Conklin, MacDonald, Nabakov, or anyone else) a low-stress scenario to hop into a little ways down the road. I hope to see a 70-30 down the stretch, if possible.

Edited by Echolalia

He probably will be overworked by the time the playoffs come, hopefully not. Wings are going to have either start Conklin a few games or risk Jimmy going on burn-out. I know Ty has not been up to par but I'm not quite sure what the Wings can do. Conks is going to have to find it in himself to get better and improve so that the Wings can start relying on him a little bit and give Jimmy at least a small break. I'm not sure if the Wings can trade Ty being he only signed for one season and not to mention not sure who's out there to make a trade for and who's willing to give up a decent back-up for Conklin. Hopefully the Wings will figure something out before the push Jimmy to far.

Being smart? He's playing Jimmy too much.

With the way Jimmy has been playing the wings are what 15-4-1 (a guess I didn't look it up) in the last 20 and are still only in 4th in the west.

With all of the 3 point games it has become much more difficult to make up ground. This also makes Oct and Nov games as important as Feb and March.

Lets say he plays Conks, and Conks doesn't improve (I hope he will), if he gives Conks 10 games the rest of the way and Conks goes 2-8-0, what then?

And the Way Conks has played I would be surprised if he could get those two wins I gave him.

There is also only 9 points seperating 1st in the west from 8th in the west.

The Red Wings goaltender situation right now is 1 and 4, not 1a and 1b.

The only NHL ready netminder the team has based on this years play is Howard. Just like last year when everyone was crying for Ozzie. Babs and the coaching staff realize they have one netminder they can rely on.

Now Conks could go on a tear and all of the sudden look like an NHL goaltender, but as of yet he has shown nothing even close to NHL caliber play.

Edited by Opie

Let's play a guessing game... I'm going to throw out a number, and you tell me what it stands for

I'll give you a hint, it has to do with Howard and it's not an on ice stat...

6... months until he has time to say hello to his wife unless he gets a day off?

6... million he could be making with another team?

6... games he will lose before LGW throws him out in favour of trading him for whomever is playing hot at the moment?

6... fighting majors he will... oh, wait, that's an on-ice stat.

Ok, you got me. Do tell us.