• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Jimmy Howard - "I’m just sick and tired of getting run over.

Rate this topic

From Mlive

Howard has scrapped several times this season with players who have made contact with him.

"Z never pushed him. I watched the replay," Howard said. "Hansen leans into him, he loses his footing, just steamrolls me.

"I’m just sick and tired of getting run over. It’s every single game."

I've always thought that its cool to have Howard who wont back down from anyone and has a couple scrappy moments to his name with the wings, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

The goalie on a hockey team should not be the one always defending himself and his teammates. The fact that Howard is the one that has went after the most guys for hitting him on the team is pathetic really. A guy nails him last night, gets up and has the guts to hit Lidstrom and Howard is the only one that will do something about it.

Its clearly bugging Howard if he went to the press about it. Its time this team started sticking up for its goalie. In hockey that is your number 1 priority, you are taught that from day 1. Even if the players thought Z pushed hansen in last night, as soon as Howard went after the guy, the whole team should've been in there to show their goalie theyve got his back and that we'll defend you just worry about stopping pucks.

Last year it happened with the San Jose guys snowing him, he was the only one who did anything to Crosby, this year he already went after Perron and Hansen. Its embarrassing really

From Mlive

Howard has scrapped several times this season with players who have made contact with him.

"Z never pushed him. I watched the replay," Howard said. "Hansen leans into him, he loses his footing, just steamrolls me.

"I’m just sick and tired of getting run over. It’s every single game."

I've always thought that its cool to have Howard who wont back down from anyone and has a couple scrappy moments to his name with the wings, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

The goalie on a hockey team should not be the one always defending himself and his teammates. The fact that Howard is the one that has went after the most guys for hitting him on the team is pathetic really. A guy nails him last night, gets up and has the guts to hit Lidstrom and Howard is the only one that will do something about it.

Its clearly bugging Howard if he went to the press about it. Its time this team started sticking up for its goalie. In hockey that is your number 1 priority, you are taught that from day 1. Even if the players thought Z pushed hansen in last night, as soon as Howard went after the guy, the whole team should've been in there to show their goalie theyve got his back and that we'll defend you just worry about stopping pucks.

Last year it happened with the San Jose guys snowing him, he was the only one who did anything to Crosby, this year he already went after Perron and Hansen. Its embarrassing really

Agreed.

The Wings should be making guys pay a price for being around the net in general, but at the very least if someone runs their goalie they should absolutely have to answer for it.

It's cool to see Jimmy so fired up about it, but sad that he has to go Hextall on guys because no one else will help him out. He's been a rock for this team all season. They should have his back.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Although I agree 100% the personnel on this team is not capable of doing that since they are so soft and have no guts.

It has gone past pathetic and has now turned into a laughing stock.

Sure the Wings will win there fair share of games but teams know, and have known, that you can get away with murder against the Wings for years now and will continue to do so.

Edited by redwingfan19

It would be nice if NHL officials started making calls in his favor like they do for every other goalie in the league. We all know Holland won't trade for an enforcer.

Thats the problem. The refs dont call it so something needs to be done, I dont even think an enforcer is necessary to fix this problem just bring in some rougher style of players that can deal with this kind of stuff when they need to.

The PP is our enforcer crap didnt enforce anything last night, Howard is the only one that tries to enforce anything on this team. I bet Howard really feels like the team around him has his back now too :thumbdown:

This to me almost seems like Howard, our Vezina calibre goalie, is calling out his team really

This to me almost seems like Howard, our Vezina calibre goalie, is calling out his team really

That was my thought last night when he went after him. Howard needs to direct some of that anger and frustration towards his teammates every game. If he feels they aren't doing their part to protect/defend him he needs to call them out, by name if necessary. Since we don't really have an enforcer others need to step up.

Thats the problem. The refs dont call it so something needs to be done, I dont even think an enforcer is necessary to fix this problem just bring in some rougher style of players that can deal with this kind of stuff when they need to.

The PP is our enforcer crap didnt enforce anything last night, Howard is the only one that tries to enforce anything on this team. I bet Howard really feels like the team around him has his back now too :thumbdown:

Yeah, to be clear, this is not an enforcer issue. It's about whoever is on the ice sticking up for Jimmy when he gets run like that. It's what Babs refers to when he talks about keeping the flies off.

If players know they can take liberties with Howard by running into him and getting in his face, they will. When you make them answer for it, even if the Wings end up taking a penalty there's a good chance the refs also hand out a penalty for what started it all, running Jimmy.

I'm tired of it too, jimmy.

i hate our organizations use of the word "grit." it's like the south's use of the word. just a bowl full of buttery mush.

we can't have ONE guy on this team that is mean?

"oh, we're team tough."

bulls***. only the power rangers were team tough (yeah a POWER RANGERS reference, that's how mad i am).

jimmy's getting frustrated and we don't know yet how he plays when frustrated. he shouldn't be fighting a team battle.

Yeah, to be clear, this is not an enforcer issue. It's about whoever is on the ice sticking up for Jimmy when he gets run like that. It's what Babs refers to when he talks about keeping the flies off.

If players know they can take liberties with Howard by running into him and getting in his face, they will. When you make them answer for it, even if the Wings end up taking a penalty there's a good chance the refs also hand out a penalty for what started it all, running Jimmy.

Yeah I tried to make that clear in my first post, an enforcer is definitely not the solution to this problem but a couple guys who are willing to actually scrap or go after someone would definitely help. This would make the other guys on the team feel a bit tougher knowing someone has their back. Abdelkader is a good complimentary tough player and scrappy guy, but shouldnt be the toughest forward on the team.

All it would take is one guy to mug someone after a play like this, and the whole team would follow suit, it just seems like noone on the wings is willing to be the first guy in because they arent sure if theyll have any backup at all

Nate Thompson?

Hes the type of player that could help. Scrappy and can play decent minutes but not an enforcer. Just a guy who knows when to stick up for his teammates.

With our 4th line center spot being a void I would love to see him in there somehow

Yeah I tried to make that clear in my first post, an enforcer is definitely not the solution to this problem but a couple guys who are willing to actually scrap or go after someone would definitely help. This would make the other guys on the team feel a bit tougher knowing someone has their back. Abdelkader is a good complimentary tough player and scrappy guy, but shouldnt be the toughest forward on the team.

All it would take is one guy to mug someone after a play like this, and the whole team would follow suit, it just seems like noone on the wings is willing to be the first guy in because they arent sure if theyll have any backup at all

Hes the type of player that could help. Scrappy and can play decent minutes but not an enforcer. Just a guy who knows when to stick up for his teammates.

With our 4th line center spot being a void I would love to see him in there somehow

Agreed. I was just trying to be extra clear and try and avoid people mistaking this for an enforcer debate. We know how those go. :P

Good points by everyone. Although not as severe as the Lucic/Miller incident, the Wings looked just like the Sabres and probably need to be berated by their head coach the same way Buffalo was.

Unfortunately, we have a pansy team when it comes to rough stuff, and neither Ericsson nor Abby were on the ice when that goal happened. They were probably afraid to go after Hansen later on because it was late in the 3rd period.

However, I am surprised that Howard would come out and say this in the media. It sounds like he's disappointed with his teammates without actually saying it.

This was definitely annoying. You gotta give it to Howard though, I love that he doesn't hesitate to get up and go after somebody, anybody. I never thought Z pushed him, more of less made a bit of contact, but Hansen put himself on a path to the net and gave himself no way out. There is a difference between going to the net strong to score a goal and going to the net on a kamikaze mission. It's Hansen's responsibility to have somewhere to go. See Tootoo, Jordin. The only thing more annoying about it was they let that goal stand. That would have NEVER happened to the Wings. At least Lou was taken out by his own man on our first goal.

As discussed before, an enforcer does usually make everyone play a little bit tougher and might inspire everyone to stick up for their teammates/selfs more often and give them all a testosterone kick up the backside. Tatar has dropped the gloves twice this season sticking up for himself. If little Tatar can with the AHL bullies, why can't all our big strong players? In Grand Rapids if anyone touches the goalie he gets an absolute beat down, usually by Exelby or Smith.

There's a rumour going around that we're actively looking for a tough guy, from hockeyfights.com. It's probably true, last time there was that rumour we tried to sign Colton Orr, failed and signed Brad May instead.

Colton Orr is available, I believe.

Who is gonna stand up for jimmy? Lidstrom? Ericsson? Kindl? Kronwall? This is why Commodore should at least get a legit chance. This is one of the reasons a bunch of us wanted Wiz. This is why Mitchell or Jovo were talked about as well. But hey, we do have the highest scoring defense in the league. Also the softest! I really hope and pray Holland throws the checkbook at someone next year, or trades for Weber. Smith is not the answer either.....

As discussed before, an enforcer does usually make everyone play a little bit tougher and might inspire everyone to stick up for their teammates/selfs more often and give them all a testosterone kick up the backside. Tatar has dropped the gloves twice this season sticking up for himself. If little Tatar can with the AHL bullies, why can't all our big strong players? In Grand Rapids if anyone touches the goalie he gets an absolute beat down, usually by Exelby or Smith.

There's a rumour going around that we're actively looking for a tough guy, from hockeyfights.com. It's probably true, last time there was that rumour we tried to sign Colton Orr, failed and signed Brad May instead.

scott-parker-1.jpg

I wouldnt want Colton Orr. Give me Mike Brown or Jay Rosehill from the leafs, Orr just isnt a guy that could work with the wings system I dont think. Brown and Rosehill can be every day lineup players who are good on the forecheck and also fight.

And yea I do remember that rumour and they did sign May, when a wings rumour gets started on that site it usually has some truth to it because the only time people will talk about the wings otherwise is to chirp them.

I would think though that Holland is shopping for a Colton Orr type but looking to add a Mike Brown type to the bottom 6. There was a guy on here saying that he heard from a source that Eaves wasnt playing much because the bottom 6 guys were being showcased. Millers game right now could probably add a tough 4th liner who can play a bit.

He may be looking more at a guy like Moen since Motreal is garbage and he can actually play hockey.

Or maybe trading Kindl, and bringing up Smith could help address this problem. Move Kindl for Moen or someone like that and put Smith in his place and all of a sudden the team is much tougher. Speaking of which, do you have video of smiths last fight with Rouseel UK?

Edited by newfy

I wouldnt want Colton Orr. Give me Mike Brown or Jay Rosehill from the leafs, Orr just isnt a guy that could work with the wings system I dont think. Brown and Rosehill can be every day lineup players who are good on the forecheck and also fight.

And yea I do remember that rumour and they did sign May, when a wings rumour gets started on that site it usually has some truth to it because the only time people will talk about the wings otherwise is to chirp them.

I would think though that Holland is shopping for a Colton Orr type but looking to add a Mike Brown type to the bottom 6. There was a guy on here saying that he heard from a source that Eaves wasnt playing much because the bottom 6 guys were being showcased. Millers game right now could probably add a tough 4th liner who can play a bit.

He may be looking more at a guy like Moen since Motreal is garbage and he can actually play hockey.

Or maybe trading Kindl, and bringing up Smith could help address this problem. Move Kindl for Moen or someone like that and put Smith in his place and all of a sudden the team is much tougher. Speaking of which, do you have video of smiths last fight with Rouseel UK?

Ya, but Holland could've had Moen (and Malhotra) a couple years ago, I dont think he is interested in him now. But it would be nice, although they are pretty crowded at the fwd position at the moment.