• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

12/27 GDT : Blues 2 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

The Blues' go-ahead goal should never have happened. While all the crap was happening on the boards (somewhere around 14 minutes into the second period), SOMEone was holding White's stick. For about five seconds. And there he was, gesturing with his free hand to the refs that it was happening. So the refs did the next best thing. They ignored that and called the penalty on our guy which resulted in that goal.

And all the Versus boyz could talk about during the intermission was how wondrous, together and organized the Blues were.

Yeeeeeahhh....

Guest Crymson
Interested to see how many blues fans (cprice?) will be calling Pav's hit on Jackass illegal and suspension worthy. Afterall, Steve Yzerman did purposely hurt Pronger, so why not Datsyuk's illegal shoulder to the head of Jackass? Physics anyone?

Yzerman did not purposely hurt Pronger. Pronger was going after Yzerman once again because of the latter's bum knee; he was charging toward Yzerman along the boards--Yzerman counter-hit him and Pronger landed awkwardly.

What a game. You have to give the Red Wing some major props for battling through some bad calls and a tough break on the second Blues goal. Just seems like the Wings are usually going to find a way to win at home where as the confidence definitely isn't as high on the road. The Blues are a very tough team to play against and generate offense, but the Red Wings did a great job sticking with it and ramping up the intensity in the third.

Howard and White were remarkable. Auger and O'Halloran were the complete opposite. It's a shame those charming Blues fans won't be around here to present us with their insightful analysis after this one.

Yzerman did not purposely hurt Pronger. Pronger was going after Yzerman once again because of the latter's bum knee; he was charging toward Yzerman along the boards--Yzerman counter-hit him and Pronger landed awkwardly.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Great win tonight, though I missed most of the third. I love come from behind victories. :thumbup:

Not to be a negative nancy after such a good win, but this was just yet another game with absolutely atrocious officiating. Missed calls, phantom calls, pucks whistles dead when they shouldn't have been, pucks not whistled dead when they should have been... the list goes on.

Edited by hooon

It's pretty amazing how far Datsyuk's physical game has come along. He used to get knocked on his ass from a stiff breeze. His hits are often brutal because his opponent Is always completely surprised by it. His hits are like his dangles.

Guest Crymson

Huh?

I'm sure he'll come back with a contrite comment, promise not to doubt the Wings again, and then do so immediately next time anyway.

I'm sure he'll come back with a contrite comment, promise not to doubt the Wings again, and then do so immediately next time anyway.

You've seen that happen on here before? :lol:

Nice come back boys.

Just when it looked like it was gonna be one of those games, the wings pull up their socks and dig deep. Way more shots in the second half instead of looking for that perfect play results in 2 goals in under a minute. Blues did a good job of keeping the front of that net clear I must admit, or it could have been a way higher scoring game for us.

Howard was absolutely stellar . 22 wins

If I had to pick a favorite game so far this year, this one would be it. That was a WIN, by god! We didn't give up when we were down, we fought hard even though it was the second game in two nights, and we didn't let them get back in it at the end of the 3rd. THAT is how it's DONE. I'm so proud, hehe.

P.S. I had no idea how much I disliked Jackman until last night. Echhh.

Interested to see how many blues fans (cprice?) will be calling Pav's hit on Jackass illegal and suspension worthy. Afterall, Steve Yzerman did purposely hurt Pronger, so why not Datsyuk's illegal shoulder to the head of Jackass? Physics anyone?

Why would Datsyuk's hit on Jackman be suspension worthy?

It looked like a shoulder to the head hit, which is what Jackman was upset about as it probably smarted pretty good...but it wasn't viscous or intentional...and it was a minimal hit at that. It probably should have been a 2 minute penalty though as it technically was a shoulder to the head hit.

Datsyuk didn't mean to do it...he didn't target his head on purpose. But whatever.

I never said Yzerman purposely hurt Pronger. But he ducked a check and went low on Pronger, taking out his knees. Did he mean to hurt him? No...I'm guessing not. He was just trying to get out of the way, but he did go low on Pronger, taking out his knee...can't really argue that.

Anyway...

Real good game on Tuesday night.

And from a Blues fan's point of view, the Blues really should have won the game. A 2-0 lead late in the 2nd and a 1 goal lead with less than 10 minutes to go in the game. Teams should hold on to those kinds of leads...and the Blues had so far this year. They hadn't lost a game in regulation in which they led going into the 3rd, and only lost one in OT...going something like 15-0-1 when leading after two periods heading into Tuesday's game.

But...you can't win them all. A good team is going to comeback on you sooner or later during the season...it happens.

I didn't expect the Blues to sweep the season series from Detroit. After winning the first two games this year, I was hoping the Blues could win 1 of 2 games in Detroit this week. If they can win on Saturday, I'll be happy.

Howard was a wall and was the primary reason Detroit won the game...obviously. Elliot was the same...very good, as usual. The only goals to get by Elliot were a flukey goal on a shot going well wide that deflected off Polak in front and went just inside the post...and the redirect out of mid-air by Datsyuk. Very nice goal, but that kind of deflection goes in...what...1% of the time? Blues were just unlucky there. And the final goal Elliot was screened by a, ahem, slight interference play in front where Carlo was cross checked in front when the shot was taken, disrupting the sight line of Elliot. Carlo wasn't too happy about that play...but it happens all of the time and rarely gets called.

None of the goals were on Elliot. He played very well.

To be honest, if Howard isn't on top of his game 100%, I agree with the VS announcers, the Blues could have easily been up 4 or 5 to nothing after the 2nd period. Howard was very good.

Looking forward to Saturday's game. Elliot will be in goal again. Oshie might be back in the lineup (missed him on Tuesday), Langenbrunner is supposed to play. So the Blues may have a couple more weapons in the lineup that they didn't have on Tuesday.

Ya, I cannot understand why good players have to present themselves as and whine and cry like a baby, or run around taking cheapshots and liberties on players and tarnish what could be their own greatness. Arnott, Jackman, Backes, these guys are great players, but they have to be idiots on the ice. Just like Pronger and Thornton. If they would stop the cheapshots and just play hockey and play legally without running around and then crying when someone gives them some medicine, they would be elite.

cprice?

Every team has guys who play that way. Detroit is no exception.

Jackman is one of those guys you like to have on your team when he is playing well (he has his periods of shoddy play...but has played much better this year) because he plays the roll of badass quite well, but obviously he's the kind of guy you hate if you are an opposing fan. His crosschecks to the back of Datsyuk should have been a penalty...not sure why the ref didn't call it. But really, don't be upset at Jackman...be upset at the ref for that one.

Backes isn't so much cheap, as he is very physical...but he takes his fair share of penalties. He likes to throw his weight around and stir stuff up...sometimes it leads to things that opposing fans may see as cheap, but it's usually in retaliation to something. He leads by example on the ice, and doesn't take any crap. Great defensive forward, great hitter, very good offensive player, good fighter, doesn't take crap from anyone...love having him as captain.

Maltby and Draper were two of the best at being an agitator/throwing a cheap shot and then hiding.

What about Bertuzzi? He has one of the biggest cheap shots in the history of the game with his name on it.

What about Konstantinov? Great player who was known for going after guys knees with dirty low checks?

Like I said...every team has a good player or two that an opposing fan will say is dirty or cheap. That's what fuels rivalries.

Our next game is going to be fast and physical. Should be a great game. Should be a good one eh CPrice?

I hope it's as good as the last game, with a slightly different outcome. ;)

Will Howard be in goal against Chicago and St. Louis on Friday and Saturday?

Seems like a lot of games in a short amount of time for him. He sure is playing a lot of games.

I wouldn't be shocked if Howards plays vs. Chicago and sits vs. the Blues. He has to rest sometime, right?

I hope Howard plays though...I hope he plays 70 games and gets worn out down the stretch. ;)