• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
USNAVYABH

Joey Mac

Rate this topic

I don't know if bringing him up would do anything.Joey Mac's stats aren't that exciting in the AHL this season.

GP GA Mins Saves GAA SV% W L SOW SOL SOGA SOA SO% T SO

15 37 868 391 2.56 0.9 14 7 7 2 1 4 21 0.810 0 2

I'm not sure that Joe Mac can come up and make the difference we are looking for. Although he has 7 wins. His save percentage, although higher than Conklin, isn't that great.

If we could some how get a trade package with Conklin involved in it, then I think that would benefit us but right now, I just don't think bringing Joey Mac up would be any different.

Some people on here vastly overrate MacDonald. He's in the AHL because he's an AHL-caliber goaltender.

Similarly, Conklin wasn't signed until July 20th because he is not a highly-regarded goalie at this stage in his career.

MacDonald isn't a great goalie. Conklin isn't a great goalie. IMO the difference is which has the confidence of the team.

Some people on here vastly overrate MacDonald. He's in the AHL because he's an AHL-caliber goaltender.

And Craig Rivet is in the ECHL because he's an ECHL caliber defenseman. And Ericsson is making top-4 money because he's a top-4 dman.

There's more than one way to look at it. I'm not totally arguing the point, I just don't like this way of arguing it. I thought Joey Mac played quite well last year when called upon and may just be a decent NHL backup if ever given the chance.

The only real chance he's ever been given was with the '08 Isles. Possibly the worst NHL team post-lockout. Their lineup was atrocious, 2nd leading scorer had 39 points. I'm sure they had excellent defensive prowess...

The 2nd best shot he had was last year and he played as good as you can expect from a backup. His first 3 years in the AHL were stellar, his fourth was abysmal. I wonder if he realized the Wings never took him seriously (like D.Larsson) and he kind of lost some of the fire. Realizing that people think your only an AHL goalie has probably derailed more than a few careers. If every goalie got as many chances as Rick DiPietro we'd probably see more Manny Legace/Tim Thomas-esque stories. Sometimes we have to remember that the teams who've decided MacDonald is an AHL goaltender are the '01-'05 Wings (Hasek, Joseph, Legace), Post-Lockout Leafs ('nuff said, talent evaluators extrordinaire!), the Isles (who regularly employ 5 goaltenders at a time in search of any negligible amount of hope and hang them out to dry) and finally the current Wings. I love Holland and usually support his decisions but Joey Mac had much better numbers than Conks last year. Holland could have given Joey a shot, he just didn't.

Edited by achildr1