• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Krys Barch.

Rate this topic

From Miami Herald:

First, enforcer Krys Barch — brought to Florida in a trade with Dallas last month — was ejected after linesman Darren Gibbs overheard him use a racial slur during a scrum near the Florida net, according to a league official. Barch’s slur was aimed toward Montreal’s PK Subban, who is black.

Inexcusable. There isn't a big enough book that can be thrown at Barch. If the League's truly interested in their image, now is the time to show it.

Agree/disagree?

There's a certain amount of yapping and trash talking that goes on as a part of the game, but from what I've heard, certain things (such as the players' kids) are off limits.

It should go without saying that race/religion/ethnicity should be sacrosanct as well.

There's a certain amount of yapping and trash talking that goes on as a part of the game, but from what I've heard, certain things (such as the players' kids) are off limits.

It should go without saying that race/religion/ethnicity should be sacrosanct as well.

I agree.

Barch certainly stepped over the line, but I'm not sure how the NHL will handle the situation. In the pre-season, Simmonds made a slur to Avery that was picked up on the near-ice mics. There was no suspension. Barch was certainly out of line, but I'm not sure how far the NHL can go in regulating 'trash talk'.

Seems a bit out of character but it is a veteran linesman reporting it so what does he have to gain by making a false report? Three to five games and while he's out, make him take the same racial sensitivity training as inner city NY cops have to.

In the pre-season, Simmonds made a slur to Avery that was picked up on the near-ice mics. There was no suspension.

Sadly, I don't think the rules will be parallel for all sides. Just the way it is.

Barch is gonna be gone a while. Deservedly.

...certain things are off limits? So this wouldn't fly?

Hey Hanrahan! Hanrahan! Hanrahan - Suzanne sucks p$$$y! Hey Hanrahan she's a dyke! I know, I know! She's a lesbian, a lesbian, a lesbian!

:hysterical:

...anyhow this incident is not very good for his image. Although as in todays world, I am sure racial slurs are still used in the NHL and other leagues, they just aren't all heard or disciplined....

Edited by LeftWinger

Am I the only one that does not care about a racial slur? Maybe its just me but that is real life. Hockey players are no different.

Honestly, I think our world would be a much better place if people could get over themselves and go by a "sticks and stones" mentality and only once you remove the power of the words, can they lose their weight, but unfortunately that is not the world we live in, it's VERY PC and this becomes an image issue for the NHL, and in a year already marred in media scrutiny, the last thing it needs is racial intolerance to be brushed off... It needs to be punished, if for no other reason than that...

Edited by stevkrause

I would like to learn the players names that said Barch made the slur. That is pretty pathetic to cry like a grade school kid and say HE SAID ....... Get over it racial slurs are said almost day around my area and Im not saying that like im proud of it or anything at all. Maybe its a canadian thing how they like to pretend they are so sensitive to everyone. I say get over it and take care of yourself. If someone is a racist oh well it does not affect you.

Am I the only one that does not care about a racial slur? Maybe its just me but that is real life. Hockey players are no different.

That's the thing- what bugs one person has no effect on another. I chew, drive a pickup, love sports, and am a pretty hefty chick. I've been guessed as butch many times. It doesn't bother me a bit. On the other hand, if you mess with my religion, you are messing with my being to the core.

Some people are the opposite. Some are bothered by race. Some by things that don't even register with the PC crowd.

Weight, height, hair colour or lack thereof... you name it, someone is bothered by it and someone else couldn't care less.

I'm not bothered by racial names UNLESS they indicate that the entire race (as opposed to the individual person) is in some way inferior or lesser in value than the person calling the name.

I have extremely fair skin. I get razzed, especially in the summer. As long as it's directed at me personally and not all white people (or all Germans or Irish or anything else that I am), it's cool.

It's a very fine line.

I would like to learn the players names that said Barch made the slur. That is pretty pathetic to cry like a grade school kid and say HE SAID ....... Get over it racial slurs are said almost day around my area and Im not saying that like im proud of it or anything at all. Maybe its a canadian thing how they like to pretend they are so sensitive to everyone. I say get over it and take care of yourself. If someone is a racist oh well it does not affect you.

Well this was actually an official noting what Barch said, not like Subban went 'crying' to anyone. When you consider the long, embarrassing, disgusting history of racism America has seen and how far back those kinds of things go you can't really call someone out for being affected by that. It's more than the word itself, it's a very pointed, deliberate sort of attack. When someone says it, it's because they know what kind of weight it carries, you know? I think it goes far beyond trash talking to be that ignorant of a human being. And someone's racism affects you if your race is the target.

All of that political or personal stuff aside – it's tough territory as far as suspensions go. If you aren't going to suspend someone for a *** slur, how can you turn around and suspend someone for a different one? Because of their previous stance, the NHL looks to be in a mess either way.

... Maybe its a canadian thing...

Is this a test?

Full credit goes to Subban. Being interviewed after the game, he claims that he didn't hear what was said. He may not have heard it or he took the high road and said he didn't, having, sadly, heard this kind of thing so many times before.

I'm one of the opinion that absolutely nothing should be off-limits so long as it isn't reflected in players' off ice antics. People will always cross the line and there's no way to effectively prevent it. I don't mind it so long as it's an unwritten rule, as it then provides the perfect opportunity for agitators to add another element to the game, and enforcers to police it, but when the league gets involved it's gone too far.

Soon enough you won't be able to use *** as an insult. People still don't understand that athletes, hockey players especially, have different faces, including one that only shows itself on the ice.

Edited by LeagueIntegrity

I'm one of the opinion that absolutely nothing should be off-limits so long as it isn't reflected in players' off ice antics. People will always cross the line and there's no way to effectively prevent it. I don't mind it so long as it's an unwritten rule, as it then provides the perfect opportunity for agitators to add another element to the game, and enforcers to police it, but when the league gets involved it's gone too far.

Soon enough you won't be able to use *** as an insult. People still don't understand that athletes, hockey players especially, have different faces, including one that only shows itself on the ice.

Probably good because calling someone *** who isn't makes you sound like a grade-schooler.

Did you even read the original post or the link? A linesman overheard it and skated straight to the bench. To the best of my knowledge no players are crying about anything.

What a tragedy that will be. :rolleyes:

It's hilarious that you make this post and your username is league integrity. :lol:

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Am I the only one that thinks the Simmonds incident isnt really compareable?

Calling someone a ****** does have sexual overtones but isnt really exclusively used to put down gays. If I had to guess I would say Barch called him a n*****. A word that was used while blacks were enslaved, raped, killed etc. That hasnt happened to gays, and therefore in my eyes isn't nearly as bad.

If he did call him the n word though, I expect a decent suspension. It is funny that guys often throw dirty hits all the time, dont get suspended but someone calls someone a mean name and theyre going to get the book thrown at them

It's actually all stupid. Someone said earlier, sticks and stones etc... He does not need a suspension, since he used a racial slur and got caught, he will now and forever be labeled as a racist. For the players that are just like him, they wont care, but for the player (and teammates) that aren't, they will disassociate themselves from him and will alienate him from certain things they do together because they will not not want people to think that they accept him. He pretty much punished himself, he will always be remembered for this....and that is the sad part. It's gonna affect his current position with Florida and it's gonna affect his ability to sign contracts elsewhere. He dug his own grave.

I think the most the league can do is a fine- Barch did already sit for the majority of a game. This is a serious issue, but I don't know if the league can do any more considering the treatment of the Simmonds issue in the pre-season. I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers sit Barch for a few games.

It's a disappointing situation, but I honestly do not know what the league can do when it comes it setting guidelines for trash-talk. This was certainly over the line, but I'm not sure how/if the league could establish a benchmark when it comes to proper/improper trash talk.

Am I the only one that thinks the Simmonds incident isnt really compareable?

Calling someone a ****** does have sexual overtones but isnt really exclusively used to put down gays. If I had to guess I would say Barch called him a n*****. A word that was used while blacks were enslaved, raped, killed etc. That hasnt happened to gays, and therefore in my eyes isn't nearly as bad.

If he did call him the n word though, I expect a decent suspension. It is funny that guys often throw dirty hits all the time, dont get suspended but someone calls someone a mean name and theyre going to get the book thrown at them

Not sure if you're the only one or not, but I don't agree with you. It is comparable in my opinion. I could argue that you could listen to almost any rap or hip hop song and hear the 'N' word used in a non-derogatory manner, but that's not really the point.

We all know exactly what Simmonds and Barch meant when they said whatever words or phrases. They both said something derogatory to someone else because of something personal about them that has nothing to do with hockey. Personally, I don't care whether there are suspensions for this or how severe the possible suspensions are... as long as everyone is treated the same.

It's an issue of preferential treatment, in my eyes. Is the league going to give preferential treatment to one player over another? Or one 'group of people' that were isnulted over another?

That said, if that happens... life will go on, and I will still watch hockey.... while thinking less of those who dish out the punishments for these sorts of things.