• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm confused, black people call each other n***ers and its ok but if a white guy calls a black guy a n***er he should get the book thrown at him?

This. Isn't accepting the use of the word by one race and not by another considered racist? If people want the word to be off limits then stopf****** letting others use it, "regardless of color".

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#42 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

TSN.
The League is busy redoing Darren Gibb's assignment schedule.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#43 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

This. Isn't accepting the use of the word by one race and not by another considered racist? If people want the word to be off limits then stopf****** letting others use it, "regardless of color".

esteef

The origins of its use in the Black community come from attempts to disarm the word itself.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#44 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

It was up on PuckDaddy earlier, but here's a TSN Link

So Barch gets a game for making a joke about Simmonds "slipping on a banana peel."

Here's where it gets tricky.

Is there underlying racism in the joke?

Edited by e_prime, 05 January 2012 - 04:48 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#45 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

From TSN:

"Mr. Barch has admitted making the remark, but denies that the comment was racially motivated," said Colin Campbell, Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations. "While we accept Mr. Barch's assertion, as a player in the National Hockey League, he must be held accountable for making a comment that, in the context in which it was made, and in light of the entirety of the circumstances, was offensive and unacceptable."

So, his motivation was what exactly?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#46 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Barch made the comment after Simmonds fell down during an altercation with Panthers defenseman Erik Gudbranson.

Basically, he was calling him a klutz and making fun of his skating ability.
Linesman decided that Barch was inferring more and gave him the misconduct.
League agrees and suspends him for a game.

It's all about what was heard and what someone thought Barch meant with that comment.

Don't the linesmen and refs have enough problems making calls on the ice to start policing what is said between players?

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#47 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,906 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

I'm doing a 180 here. If he said a racial taunt, there was reason for suspension.

If he was making fun of his skating ability, jeer on.

"Slipped on a banana peel" after he fell? Come on, NHL.

#48 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

I'm doing a 180 here. If he said a racial taunt, there was reason for suspension.

By suspending Barch for this in a clear case of over sensitivity/overcompensation, does the NHL not draw more attention to themselves as an inherently racist organization/culture? Just a thought...

#49 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

It was up on PuckDaddy earlier, but here's a TSN Link

So Barch gets a game for making a joke about Simmonds "slipping on a banana peel."

Here's where it gets tricky.

Is there underlying racism in the joke?

Barch made the comment after Simmonds fell down during an altercation with Panthers defenseman Erik Gudbranson.

Basically, he was calling him a klutz and making fun of his skating ability.
Linesman decided that Barch was inferring more and gave him the misconduct.
League agrees and suspends him for a game.

It's all about what was heard and what someone thought Barch meant with that comment.

Don't the linesmen and refs have enough problems making calls on the ice to start policing what is said between players?

You're undermining your argument a little by confusing Subban with another black player who isn't even on the same team. Simmonds is a winger who plays for the Flyers. Subban is a defenseman who plays for Montreal.

Agreed.

Maybe it had some racial overtones, but it's certainly debatable. If anything this could been handled with just a warning to Barch about how this may have sounded. It certainly didn't warrant a suspension.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 06 January 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#50 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

OH s***. I did do that didn't I.

#51 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

Wow thats pretty ridiculous to get a suspension for saying that. He could've even just been making a joke about how one got thrown at him during that shootout.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#52 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Wow thats pretty ridiculous to get a suspension for saying that. He could've even just been making a joke about how one got thrown at him during that shootout.

Wrong player actually. The banana throwing incident was Wayne Simmonds. Barch made that "slip on a banana peel" comment to PK Subban.

#53 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Wrong player actually. The banana throwing incident was Wayne Simmonds. Barch made that "slip on a banana peel" comment to PK Subban.

My bad, they all look alike to me :ph34r:

I kid

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#54 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

I was just going to say, I doubt he used the 'N' word because if a ref heard that, it would be a much bigger deal. I was thinking along the lines of a monkey or something banana related as well which it turns out was the case. I'm not sure on what the league should do about this specific comment but I'm with esteef on this one. If you don't want the specific word to be said to you, then stop calling each other it especially in music that EVERYONE listens to.

#55 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,906 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

Maybe the Shanahan needs to put out a video at the beginning of the season discussing this. I don't know about you guys, but despite having serious issues about racial/religious/ethnic/gender-related taunts, it is giving me the giggles to imagine.

Good morning. I'm Brendan Shanahan of the NHL. Today we are going to discuss words not to be used on the ice...

I'm telling you, the video would be comedy gold no matter how serious the subject matter.

#56 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Maybe the Shanahan needs to put out a video at the beginning of the season discussing this. I don't know about you guys, but despite having serious issues about racial/religious/ethnic/gender-related taunts, it is giving me the giggles to imagine.

Good morning. I'm Brendan Shanahan of the NHL. Today we are going to discuss words not to be used on the ice...

I'm telling you, the video would be comedy gold no matter how serious the subject matter.

The 7 words you can never say, in The NHL.

#57 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

Sloppy Seconds!!

esteef!
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

Suspended for "insensitive remarks"? Going by that nonsense, these players should be banned from hockey.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#59 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

So let me get this straight....they don't think it was racially motivated but it still deserved a suspension? I can't be the only one who thinks that's ridiculous.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#60 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

So let me get this straight....they don't think it was racially motivated but it still deserved a suspension? I can't be the only one who thinks that's ridiculous.

Had it been Crosby, he wouldn't have been suspended. Krys Barch is an easy target, being the "useless tough guy" that he is. I guess they're regulating on ice talk now. Get ready for double minors for swearing. 5 minute major if the victim of the bad language has a tear coming out of his eye.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien