Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Goalie controversy in Philadelphia brewing?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 ZoFace

ZoFace

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Beat me to it... and that trade worked pretty well for them...

Yep, I meant Mike Richards.

#22 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

I still can't believe Philly signed Bryz to that type of money. He's had 3 good years in the league and all of a sudden he gets top tier money? The management in Philly is more of a joke for trading away Brad Richards who is one of the best two-way players in the game. It's not often you have a guy who can score 30 goals, win face offs, be the best penalty killer and shut down top lines...and they traded him to LA for a prospect.

Philly's management is far from a joke. I'd say Philly has some of the best management in the league. Holmgren has a different philosophy and strategy then Holland, but it works. Their moves this summer were masterful.

They really only lost Carter and Richards, who they replaced with Jagr, Simmonds, and Voracek.... This also freed up the cap space to add Bryzgalov and freed up the roster so that guys like Giroux and JVR could take on bigger roles. not to mention they flipped their draft picks for higher ones and also got Schenn and Couturier. 2 guys who will most likely end up as top 6 forwards.

On paper all of Philly's moves were awesome. In reality Bryz is turning out to be a let down, but Jagr turned out to be better than expected and Giroux and JVR have stepped up to assume Richards and Carters roles and then some!

Sometimes I wish Holland had some of these wheelin and dealin abilities...

#23 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

I thought it was funny.

Posted Image

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

Sometimes I wish Holland had some of these wheelin and dealin abilities...

And I'm sure fans of most other teams wish they had Holland as GM.

That said, Richards and Carter would not have been traded had it not been for the problems they were causing behind the scenes. Trading major players is never preferable. There is much more to trading than simply swapping players.

Edited by Crymson, 02 January 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#25 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

I was shocked when Philly signed him after getting absolutely lit-up by the Wings in the playoffs. That's the thing about goalies - there are many that have 1 good year and then go down the tubes. Unfortunately, many GM's in the league seem to ignore the pattern.

Mason
Bryz
Ward
Anderson
Halak
Theodore
Emery
Niemi

It's a long list

Cam Ward? Because imo he is still pretty beastly.
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#26 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

And I'm sure fans of most other teams wish they had Holland as GM.

That said, Richards and Carter would not have been traded had it not been for the problems they were causing behind the scenes. Trading major players is never preferable. There is much more to trading than simply swapping players.

Holland is a good/successful GM because he's a perfect fit for the Wings. His style/philosophy has helped maintain a championship franchise longer than anyone thought possible. I wouldn't want to hire him if I was Winnipeg, NYI, Carolina ect....I would hire him if I was Boston, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, ect....hes a maintenance guy and theres nothin wrong with that.

I think Holmgren would have moved players to obtain a #1 goalie regardless of whether Carter or Richards were causing problems. Because they were though was why they were the ones moved.

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

He could be the new Charlie Sheen.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Holland is a good/successful GM because he's a perfect fit for the Wings. His style/philosophy has helped maintain a championship franchise longer than anyone thought possible. I wouldn't want to hire him if I was Winnipeg, NYI, Carolina ect....I would hire him if I was Boston, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, ect....hes a maintenance guy and theres nothin wrong with that.

lol @ "a maintenance guy." The Wings have stayed as good as they have because Holland makes good decisions on drafting, on coaching staff and on players. He's never had to rebuild because he hasn't screwed up like multitudes of other GMs have.

I think Holmgren would have moved players to obtain a #1 goalie regardless of whether Carter or Richards were causing problems. Because they were though was why they were the ones moved.

Feel free to think that, but you'd be wrong. He'd need to have been a complete imbecile to overhaul the team just to get a legit #1 goaltender.

#29 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

lol @ "a maintenance guy." The Wings have stayed as good as they have because Holland makes good decisions on drafting, on coaching staff and on players. He's never had to rebuild because he hasn't screwed up like multitudes of other GMs have.

Feel free to think that, but you'd be wrong. He'd need to have been a complete imbecile to overhaul the team just to get a legit #1 goaltender.

it has nothing to do with screwing up. there are plenty of GM's who's only job is to rebuild. aka guys like Brian Burke. Holland is NOT one of those guys, and I "lol" at u if u think he is.

well ur wrong there cause he didnt overhaul a team to get a #1 goaltender...he lost 2 great mid aged players in order to get a #1 netminder he desperately needed, sign a new top 6 forward, get 2 other solid forwards, a potential future top 6 forward, a draft pick that got him another potential future top 6 forward, and he got more other draft picks that were also higher than the ones he lost. he didnt have a firesale like in ottawa.

would holland have made all those deals? no. but holland isnt holmgren now is he, and hollands never faced a situation where he has boucher, leighton, and bobrovsky in net.

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

it has nothing to do with screwing up. there are plenty of GM's who's only job is to rebuild. aka guys like Brian Burke. Holland is NOT one of those guys, and I "lol" at u if u think he is.

It's not his job because he's never messed up so badly as to make it necessary. Given that he's never faced a situation in which making major changes is needed, you frankly can't have a clue of how he'd behave in such a case.

well ur wrong there cause he didnt overhaul a team to get a #1 goaltender...he lost 2 great mid aged players in order to get a #1 netminder he desperately needed, sign a new top 6 forward, get 2 other solid forwards, a potential future top 6 forward, a draft pick that got him another potential future top 6 forward, and he got more other draft picks that were also higher than the ones he lost. he didnt have a firesale like in ottawa.

I was disagreeing with what you wrote, so you basically just told yourself that you were wrong.

#31 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

I like my athletes to have a little personality.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#32 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

Why you heff to be mad? Ees just a game. Besides, the universe is just humangis beeg!
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#33 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

It's not his job because he's never messed up so badly as to make it necessary. Given that he's never faced a situation in which making major changes is needed, you frankly can't have a clue of how he'd behave in such a case.

I was disagreeing with what you wrote, so you basically just told yourself that you were wrong.

yes obviously his skills are in maintaining a championship franchise so that u dont have to rebuild...hence why we hired a man of such talents...this is the way all businesses work. No I have no idea how he would act in a rebuild situation, but he obviously isnt the type of guy who makes lots of moves and changes like holmgren does. i think thats pretty obvious....

yeah u called overhauling a team for a number 1 net minder "imbecilic"....but YOU were wrong bc that didnt happen. i think i more than proved my point that he made good moves in the offseason and didnt do it JUST to secure a goalie.

Edited by number9, 03 January 2012 - 01:18 PM.