• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 heretic69

heretic69

Only the Sith deal in absolutes

• Gold Booster
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

I can't argue anything that hasn't already been said.

But if Dats had gotten suspended for that hit it would have been worth every game.

My favorite part is when he does the "Thornton Peek"

Attached File  thorntonpeek.jpg   60.41KB   19 downloads

#62 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

I never said Datsyuk's shoulder never hit his face, but he did flop his back like he was ready to go down on Pete North. He tried to embellish it and the refs weren't biting. Not only did he flop his head back, he also decided he should violently bounce off the glass to make it seem even worse. That is a 10 on the Crosby scale of diving. Yes, Dats made contact with his head (not the principle contact though) and Jackman decided that he would try to get the refs attention by embellishing to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8SX1ujpgfM

I would say that could even be a Bill Laimbeer flop...

Pretty clean hit by Dats...Jackman's just ticked that the refs didn't buy into it...Now had this hit been on lets say a guy who doesn't act like a ****** (TJ Oshie, or Alex Steen for instance) - then maybe the refs would call a 2 min minor on Dats for whatever sad excuse they could come up with...But Jackman - he's got a rep.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#63 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Not that it matters at all to whether there should have been a suspension or not, I can't agree with you on these points. The puck actually leaves Abby's stick before contact is made and on your assertion that there would have been a penalty even if it was a clean body check......no way in hell.

Firstly, I'm not sure where in the interference rules it suggests that you can't hit a player that is already engaged with another player (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there though). Secondlyl, he wasn't engaged with any other player anyway. Another player tried to catch him and get a stick on him, but really didn't get to him.

If that was a clean hit, there would have been no penalty called...I'm guessing here...about 1,000 out of 1,000 times. Maybe if you had it happen a million times tehre may have been a penalty called once, but I doubt it.

Somebody gets it.

#64 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Somebody gets it.

Not sure what you think I get....

I won't go as far to question why Cole gets suspended on not Datsyuk...completely different plays. I can understand questionning whether Datsyuk's hit was clean or not though...that could potentially be debatable, but whether it is suspension worthy or not isn't debatable in my opinion.

#65 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Not sure what you think I get....

I won't go as far to question why Cole gets suspended on not Datsyuk...completely different plays. I can understand questionning whether Datsyuk's hit was clean or not though...that could potentially be debatable, but whether it is suspension worthy or not isn't debatable in my opinion.

Somebody doesn't get it. ;)

But seriously, I agreed with everything I quoted you on above.
And I've said that I don't have a problem with Cole getting suspended, just the length of suspension.

But I am afraid you are wrong about Datsyuk's hit not being debatable on if it is or isn't suspension worthy...we've been debating it for few pages now.

A lot of Wings fans think it's not suspension worthy. A lot of Blues fans think it could be and wanted it reviewed.
I've heard mixed reviews from other folks who comment after videos and articles.
Not surprising really.

However, to reference an earlier portion of this thread...on the Datsyuk-Jackman hit, I think it's very interesting that the Red Wings blogger at kuklaskorner said, "...a problem that still seems to exist for the NHL is a lack of consistency in terms of dealing with such hits. For instance, Pavel Datsyuk appeared to get away entirely with a hit to Barret Jackmanís head during the same game."
Again, thanks to Leftwinger for requesting that I find "just one" non-Blues fan article that said Datsyuk got away with one...and the first one I find is from none other than an actual Red Wings blogger on a pretty prominent hockey commentary/reporting site. I find that hilarious. :lol:

My point... it's not just Blues fans.

Anyone tired of this debate yet? I am.

#66 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

If you're so "tired" of this debate, you probably shouldn't have continued to engage it. You're on a Red Wings message board. This is akin to trying to convince a bunch of vegans that steak is good. You're not going to get anywhere, and you end up looking like a fool.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#67 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

Cole overshot and didn't hit him in the body, recklessly hitting the head.

Jackman changed his whole stance from shoulder-shoulder to shoulder-chest while playing the puck, the incidental contact to Jackman was due to changing his body position.
Changing your position shows you are aware you are about to be hit and lifts the onus to protect from the hitter to the receiver.

Any old timer would tell you that if Jackman had his head up that wouldn't even have happened, Blues fans are the only people debating the events of that game.

The topic Blues fans should be discussing is why the Blues hired the "scorers" from Dallas' goon days, then surprise fired an admitted good coach and hired the coach from Dallas' goon days.
Then start a new topic about how you didn't realize this was StL plan the whole time, the responses will direct you to the official 2011-12 season game plan thread.

Edited by Wingzman91, 04 January 2012 - 06:12 PM.