• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jocke

Tortorella fined 30k for WC comments

Rate this topic

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7424025/new-york-rangers-coach-john-tortorella-fined-30000-comments-source-says

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- New York Rangers coach John Tortorella was fined $30,000 for his postgame comments about the officiating in Monday's Winter Classic, a source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.[/Quote]

I don't know how credible their source is, but if it's true it's way too much in my opinion. Especially since the players' maximum amount is 2500$ or something.

Edited by Jocke

I suspect the coach would be fined more because he's supposed to be setting the example. We all know ref is just another word for god, and gods are infallible and cannot be questioned. I think it's BS they fine anyone for voicing an opinion. Everyone on the planet can see how well or how pitiful they are doing their job. So what, we're not supposed to talk about it?

I think anyone with half a brain would agree with Totorella's comments about the refs. It's a shame that professional referee is the one profession where you're protected from being called out on doing a s***ty job. That call on Callahan was one of the worst I've seen in years.

I suspect the coach would be fined more because he's supposed to be setting the example. We all know ref is just another word for god, and gods are infallible and cannot be questioned. I think it's BS they fine anyone for voicing an opinion. Everyone on the planet can see how well or how pitiful they are doing their job. So what, we're not supposed to talk about it?

When people speak out against those with power, they get punished... even when what they are saying is true sometimes and needs to be said...

What he said was true. I was thinking the exact same thing the last few minutes of the game.

The matching minors and penalty shot could easily not have happened; they definitely seemed to be an effort to help Philly send the game to OT. As a pretty neutral fan, I was hoping for OT as well. But, if NYR was Detroit, we'd all be up in arms over the calls.

We all knew a fine was coming, Im sure Torts did as well. You absolutely cannot question the integrity fo the game. Sure the refs may have been more generous to the flyers, but the league (or any other for that matter) can have a coach saying that the network and league got together to fix a game. I agree 100% the calls he was referring to were terrible and Id be up in arms too, but calling the integrity fo the league and television network is off limits.

I also agree the fine does seem a bit overboard in comparison to the max against the players, I would have liked to see something in the 10,000 range

We all knew a fine was coming, Im sure Torts did as well. You absolutely cannot question the integrity fo the game. Sure the refs may have been more generous to the flyers, but the league (or any other for that matter) can have a coach saying that the network and league got together to fix a game. I agree 100% the calls he was referring to were terrible and Id be up in arms too, but calling the integrity fo the league and television network is off limits.

I also agree the fine does seem a bit overboard in comparison to the max against the players, I would have liked to see something in the 10,000 range

But if the league are telling the refs to call games a certain way to make it more "exciting", they are duty bound to protect the Refs from criticism from players and coaches.

And please don't tell me this doesn't happen, because it does. Remember a few years ago where the first few months of the season, teams that were down a goal kept getting spurious 5-on-3s to help them tie the game up? After a few months Babcock and a few other coaches got sick of it and started vocally complaining, The mysterious 5-on-3s stopped just as suddenly (without a word from the tame media I hasten to add).

I have no problem with the fine. I understand people's views that if a ref did a terrible job, then you should be able to call him out on it, but I disagree a bit on that. If the ref made terrible calls, he'll be dealt with accordingly (won't get playoff assignments, etc.). Torts could have complained privately to the league, etc. Making public comments like that embarrases the league and questions the integrity of the game. I have to imagine that if any Joe Blow did something like that publicly about his employer, he'd be in a lot of hot water. (I know the league isn't his employer, but the anology works I think).

I have no problem with the fine. I understand people's views that if a ref did a terrible job, then you should be able to call him out on it, but I disagree a bit on that. If the ref made terrible calls, he'll be dealt with accordingly (won't get playoff assignments, etc.). Torts could have complained privately to the league, etc. Making public comments like that embarrases the league and questions the integrity of the game. I have to imagine that if any Joe Blow did something like that publicly about his employer, he'd be in a lot of hot water. (I know the league isn't his employer, but the anology works I think).

Oooooo, no playoff assignments! There aren't enough playoff games to go around, so that probably doesn't sting a whole lot anyway. If I screw up at my job, I don't not get invited to the Christmas party, I get called out on the carpet. Or if it's really egregious, I get fired. When was the last time anyone's heard of a ref getting fired?

And calling out the refs embarrasses the league more than doing a piss-poor job? Sounds to me like they've got their priorities screwed up. I get that they don't want anarchy, but clean house and then worry about fining people for making comments.

s***ty officiating on display for all the fans and media to witness sure as hell questions the integrity of not only the league but the game itself. I'm sure teams needing points in the standings could care less if a ref isn't given an assignment later on in the playoffs. They want a fair playing field regardless of the score or time left on the clock.

esteef

Edited by esteef

Oooooo, no playoff assignments! There aren't enough playoff games to go around, so that probably doesn't sting a whole lot anyway. If I screw up at my job, I don't not get invited to the Christmas party, I get called out on the carpet. Or if it's really egregious, I get fired. When was the last time anyone's heard of a ref getting fired?

And calling out the refs embarrasses the league more than doing a piss-poor job? Sounds to me like they've got their priorities screwed up. I get that they don't want anarchy, but clean house and then worry about fining people for making comments.

I used the playoff assignments as an example, there are many ways that refs get disciplined and refs get dismissed all the time. There are a few that are currently arguing wrongful dismissal as well. Yes, doing a poor job embarrases the league, which is why they get disciplined. However, the poor job is embarrasment enough, having someone get behind a camera and a mic and go on about it just adds to the embarrasment.

Like I said, find me a company out there what wouldn't take serious issue with one of their employees voicing their concerns in the public vs. doing in behind closed doors.

Like I said, find me a company out there what wouldn't take serious issue with one of their employees voicing their concerns in the public vs. doing in behind closed doors.

Bad example, the majority of jobs in this country don't happen in front of a camera like sports do.

edit: And if the Flyers would've come back and won, it makes the Rangers players and their coaches look bad for not holding on to their lead and finishing the game off. So I would ***** too.

esteef

Edited by esteef

it'd be absolutely right to keep it private. If it was internal/private company issue.

In this case, both coaches and ref are (so to speak) league's employees. Now, who are customers? I think, we are, fans.

If there are issues with reffing, that means we are getting bad product. Worse, anybody who rises concern gets punished. End even worse, when league publicly admits employee made a mistake, the employee never gets punished.

And finally, as a result, the product doesn't get better, it gets worse.

If my working conditions were consistently hindered and the press saw fit to interview me, I'd take it public as well. Most people are discreet, but you can only take so much. No one expects anyone to work in undesirable conditions on a consistent basis. Now if they want to warn you beforehand that painful officiating is part of the game, that's another thing. Last I heard,though,nowhere in any player's contract does it say "We'll pay you X amount for X amount of time, but the officiating is going to be highly inconsistent. Consider it an occupational hazard."

Also, this isn't an NHL only thing, I'm pretty sure you'd get a fine for the same thing in any professional sporting league.

It's just that the amount is absurd.

Edited by Jocke

The League has the best officiating of any sport. Just ask Bettman; he'll tell you.

"Our refs get it right 99% of the time"

I don't want coaches to be fines for bitching about the reffing and individual calls, but can see the point of fining them for questioning the integrity of the game... And I also see the point in Torts saying it anyway.

Officiating in general just stinks overall across all leagues.

I can recall two Saints games down here in the NFL where the officiating was just so pathetic. I had to stop watching one of those two games for a while because it was so awful.

Same in college, my alma mater upset Boise State on their turf this season, one of the worst officiated games I've seen in my life. Also another game where we were favored but loss/got upset, while we didn't take care of business the refs playing a much bigger factor than necessary in determining the outcome. That absolutely drives me nuts.

But I digress.

Could Tortorella have said things behind closed doors? Sure. Should he have? Probably. Do I blame him for being frustrated about it and saying it in public? No. Not really supporting it or condoning it. It's not the first time it has happened and it won't be the last. Just shows how horrible the officiating can be.

Just don't understand why officials in all leagues have to be treated with special kid gloves and cannot be critiqued in public. I hate using the officiating excuse as to why my team might have lost but I'm not going to hesitate in saying if they blew a big call or playing a bigger hand in a game outcome.