• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jocke

Tortorella fined 30k for WC comments

Rate this topic

it'd be absolutely right to keep it private. If it was internal/private company issue.

In this case, both coaches and ref are (so to speak) league's employees. Now, who are customers? I think, we are, fans.

If there are issues with reffing, that means we are getting bad product. Worse, anybody who rises concern gets punished. End even worse, when league publicly admits employee made a mistake, the employee never gets punished.

And finally, as a result, the product doesn't get better, it gets worse.

I think you summed up why it's a problem to have coaches calling out the officials and league in public. As you said, the public are the customers. If you screwed up at work, would you want your coworkers to call customers and announce that you were not doing your job correctly, and might be scamming them, or should that kind of thing happen behind the scenes? If this happened to you, I can guarantee your first stop would be HR, and I'd imagine it's the same here. Notice how coaches never say "Bryzgalov just screwed everything up, he's terrible, and it was a huge mistake for us to sign him." That's just not how things work in a business.

I think it would be absolutely hysterical if one day after a particularly horribly reffed game, Babcock would walk out to the post game podium with a $100 bill wrapped around a wad of money sized paper and set it on the podium and say something like, this is just in case I slip up when you ask me about lack of power plays...

I think pretty much any business has a policy regarding the public discussion of its business.

If they didn't fine, how many whiny coaches/owners/players/managers/ice girls/mascots would be rushing to complain to the press about every perceived unfairness?

As things stand right now, if you've got a 30k complaint, you've got a real complaint. It makes the sound bites and people actually listen.

Edited by 55fan

Depends on what would mean by "certain way".

I would guess something like "get it to overtime". Certainly seemed that way.

Edited by Jocke