esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#22 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

If my working conditions were consistently hindered and the press saw fit to interview me, I'd take it public as well. Most people are discreet, but you can only take so much. No one expects anyone to work in undesirable conditions on a consistent basis. Now if they want to warn you beforehand that painful officiating is part of the game, that's another thing. Last I heard,though,nowhere in any player's contract does it say "We'll pay you X amount for X amount of time, but the officiating is going to be highly inconsistent. Consider it an occupational hazard."
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#23 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Also, this isn't an NHL only thing, I'm pretty sure you'd get a fine for the same thing in any professional sporting league.

It's just that the amount is absurd.

Edited by Jocke, 05 January 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#24 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

The League has the best officiating of any sport. Just ask Bettman; he'll tell you.

"Our refs get it right 99% of the time"

I don't want coaches to be fines for bitching about the reffing and individual calls, but can see the point of fining them for questioning the integrity of the game... And I also see the point in Torts saying it anyway.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#25 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

The League has the best officiating of any sport. Just ask Bettman; he'll tell you.

Posted Image

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#26 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

Officiating in general just stinks overall across all leagues.

I can recall two Saints games down here in the NFL where the officiating was just so pathetic. I had to stop watching one of those two games for a while because it was so awful.

Same in college, my alma mater upset Boise State on their turf this season, one of the worst officiated games I've seen in my life. Also another game where we were favored but loss/got upset, while we didn't take care of business the refs playing a much bigger factor than necessary in determining the outcome. That absolutely drives me nuts.

But I digress.

Could Tortorella have said things behind closed doors? Sure. Should he have? Probably. Do I blame him for being frustrated about it and saying it in public? No. Not really supporting it or condoning it. It's not the first time it has happened and it won't be the last. Just shows how horrible the officiating can be.

Just don't understand why officials in all leagues have to be treated with special kid gloves and cannot be critiqued in public. I hate using the officiating excuse as to why my team might have lost but I'm not going to hesitate in saying if they blew a big call or playing a bigger hand in a game outcome.

#27 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

I sometimes wonder if it's not because the reffing sucks is that they are told they have to call the game a certain way.
  • Nev likes this

#28 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

It's pretty clear to me that both the most controversial calls (Callahan unsportsmanlike and penalty shot) were 100% legit.

#29 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

The only good reffing as of late was the disappearance of Kane's game winning Stanley Cup puck :shifty:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#30 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

it'd be absolutely right to keep it private. If it was internal/private company issue.

In this case, both coaches and ref are (so to speak) league's employees. Now, who are customers? I think, we are, fans.

If there are issues with reffing, that means we are getting bad product. Worse, anybody who rises concern gets punished. End even worse, when league publicly admits employee made a mistake, the employee never gets punished.

And finally, as a result, the product doesn't get better, it gets worse.

I think you summed up why it's a problem to have coaches calling out the officials and league in public. As you said, the public are the customers. If you screwed up at work, would you want your coworkers to call customers and announce that you were not doing your job correctly, and might be scamming them, or should that kind of thing happen behind the scenes? If this happened to you, I can guarantee your first stop would be HR, and I'd imagine it's the same here. Notice how coaches never say "Bryzgalov just screwed everything up, he's terrible, and it was a huge mistake for us to sign him." That's just not how things work in a business.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#31 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

I think it would be absolutely hysterical if one day after a particularly horribly reffed game, Babcock would walk out to the post game podium with a $100 bill wrapped around a wad of money sized paper and set it on the podium and say something like, this is just in case I slip up when you ask me about lack of power plays...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#32 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

I think pretty much any business has a policy regarding the public discussion of its business.

If they didn't fine, how many whiny coaches/owners/players/managers/ice girls/mascots would be rushing to complain to the press about every perceived unfairness?

As things stand right now, if you've got a 30k complaint, you've got a real complaint. It makes the sound bites and people actually listen.

Edited by 55fan, 07 January 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#33 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

I sometimes wonder if it's not because the reffing sucks is that they are told they have to call the game a certain way.

Depends on what would mean by "certain way".

Posted Image

#34 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Depends on what would mean by "certain way".

I would guess something like "get it to overtime". Certainly seemed that way.

Edited by Jocke, 07 January 2012 - 06:57 PM.