• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

I have a feeling this is posturing by the Ducks.
They know they are tanking, by folding up shop and trading out ending contracts like Cogliano (2.39m), Blake (4m), Beauchemin (3.8m)
they may get a top pick in the draft and some players with tenure in exchange to make a run for next year.

This is the generate hype phase.

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

I love the idea of Getz but Perry is the goal scorer that we are missing and he's not afraid to muck it up. I player you hate playing against is the one you want on your team. Mule, Ericsson and a pick for Perry and a pick!

You should be shot for suggesting that that ginormous douchebag ever put on a Red Wings jersey.

The fact that he's a dip!@#$ weasel disqualifies him from Ken Holland's consideration anyway.

Wow, sounds like a current forward on this team minus the physical presence and far more offensive upside Getzlaf provides.

So you're suggesting that we trade a player whose play you dislike for another whose play you will similarly dislike. Your own sarcasm is working against you.

By the way, Franzen currently has 33 points and is a +20. Getzlaf? 25 points (a whopping six goals--what, exactly, would we do with another playmaking center?) and a -19. Getzlaf is playing with some very talented hockey players. The team he's on isn't going to make all the difference.

Franzen, tatar, stuart for perry. Makes sense to replace a rw with a rw. We have loads of center depth and getz isnt required like a perry type player who can light the lamp almost every night and is young. If in fact stuart wants back on the west coast and is willing to re-sign with the ducks this is a great package. Throw in a 3rd conditional if stuart doesnt re-sign.

And Anaheim will want Tatar--an unproven scorer--and Stuart--on the last year of his contract--why? By the way, Stuart sold his house in San Jose.

And... we want Perry WHY?

Edited by Crymson, 05 January 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#43 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#44 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

I'd really only be interested in Ryan and Beauchemin. Nothing against Getz (or even Perry really), but considering the cost to get them I don't think they'd provide enough return.

Can't guess what they'd want for Beau, though if we could sell them on E or Kindl without having to add too much more I'd be all for it. E, Abby or Miller, and a 2nd? Pretty close to what they gave Toronto (considering what Lupul was doing at the time). Wouldn't exactly improve Anaheim this year, though as we get closer to the deadline the Ducks may start looking further into the future, and Beau is a pending UFA.

Ryan I think would be out of our range. Probably only feasible if the Ducks get really interested in picks/prospects. Flip probably has to be the main piece, and someone else that can add some offense. Cleary? Then a good prospect and 1st. Seems like too much from our perspective. Change Cleary to a mid-rounder or mid-tier prospect (or somehow take Flip out) and it looks a lot better, but would only make sense for them if they go into full rebuild mode.

#45 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

Given all the rumours that Stuart wants to move back to California.....Franzen + Stewart for Getzlaf.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#46 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

Given all the rumours that Stuart wants to move back to California.....Franzen + Stewart for Getzlaf.

Again... why on earth would Holland want to acquire yet another playmaking center? And, more, why would he trade one of the team's best goal-scorers for such? This would lead to a net decrease in goal scoring.

#47 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

Mule, Smith, Kindl for Getz and Parros.

I feel so dirty typing that.

This right here is a pretty realistic trade proposal.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#48 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

You should be shot for suggesting that that ginormous douchebag ever put on a Red Wings jersey.

The fact that he's a dip!@#$ weasel disqualifies him from Ken Holland's consideration anyway.

Chris Chelios, Ulf Sammuelsson, Wendel Clark, and Todd Bertuzzi could all fall into that "douchebag" category, and yet were once/currently are Detroit Red Wings.

Just because you dislike Perry doesn't mean Ken Holland loathes him as well...I for one (and many other LGW members) would love to have that half-shield wearin'weasel on our Red Wings.

Edited by F.Michael, 06 January 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#49 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Mule, Smith, Kindl for Getz and Parros.

I feel so dirty typing that.

You're A Dirty Girl a Dirty Girl!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svOumzlbz_g
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Chris Chelios, Ulf Sammuelsson, Wendel Clark, and Todd Bertuzzi could all fall into that "douchebag" category, and yet were once/currently are Detroit Red Wings.

Just because you dislike Perry doesn't mean Ken Holland loathes him as well...I for one (and many other LGW members) would love to have that half-shield wearin'weasel on our Red Wings.

I guarantee you that Ken Holland would not trade for him. When has Ken Holland ever signed a player of Perry's character?

I disagree with your examples, as none of them are d-bag weasels of Corey Perry magnitude.

Edited by Crymson, 06 January 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#51 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Again... why on earth would Holland want to acquire yet another playmaking center? And, more, why would he trade one of the team's best goal-scorers for such? This would lead to a net decrease in goal scoring.

Wow, I wasn't aware that the NHL was such a simple, logical place. The great goal-scorer Franzen has broken 30 goals just once, is past 30, picking up injuries, and signed to a monster contract that rewards him with $$$$$$$$$$$ whatever he does (which is often as little as possible).

Getzlaf is an all-star, Franzen isn't. Datsyuk-Getzlaf gives us a 1-2 punch that would give the rest of the WC kittens. Anytime you can aqcuire a top, high-end player for non-star players, you should. Players of the quality of Getzlaf (or Perry, or Ryan) don't come on the market very often.

I disagree with your examples, as none of them are d-bag weasels of Corey Perry magnitude

I can only assume you weren't watching Hockey when Chelios was a Blackhawk and Samuelsson was a Penguin?
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,911 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

people forget that Mule is a BEAST in the playoffs when he is healthy. He has 72 points in 83 playoff games in his career. He was playing injured last year in the playoffs but here's his point total before that:

2008 18 in 16 games
2009 23 in 23 games
2010 16 in 12 games

Why would we even think of trading one of the top playoff performers in the league? Because he's streaky in the regular season? Are you people frickin crazy?

You have to give up something if you want something. In 2001 Holland traded away perhaps one of the best playoff performers AND prolific regular season scorer we had in order to get a goalie he felt we needed. He traded Kozlov AND a 1st for Hasek. I think an exchange that involved Franzen for either Getzlaf or Perry would be a great move. Franzen, Hudler and Kindl are three players from the big club who can and should be shopped come deadline day. If Holland could trade any combo these three plus prospects and get a Getzlaf and or Perry and or Ryan, then it is a no brainer...

Edited by LeftWinger, 06 January 2012 - 01:24 PM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#53 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

So you're suggesting that we trade a player whose play you dislike for another whose play you will similarly dislike. Your own sarcasm is working against you.

By the way, Franzen currently has 33 points and is a +20. Getzlaf? 25 points (a whopping six goals--what, exactly, would we do with another playmaking center?) and a -19. Getzlaf is playing with some very talented hockey players. The team he's on isn't going to make all the difference.

I wasn't entirely suggesting a trade of Franzen for Getzlaf. Just implying that the notion the Red Wings would never have a streaky or lazy player is laughable. You dismissed Getzlaf becuase of those qualities -- I was replying that Franzen is exactly those things, in addition to being an inferior player overall.

Besides, it would take a ton more than just Franzen to land Getzlaf, even with Getzlaf having a down year so far. I really don't think plus/minus is a great stat to compare the two. Of course Franzen is going to have a better rating than a guy playing on one of the worst teams defensively in the league. Getzlaf has practically been a PPG player at least his entire career. Franzen hasn't even come close yet. Franzen also plays with Pavel Datsyuk, a pretty talented linemate in his own right.

There's plenty of possibilities for Getzlaf with the Red Wings, even if he is primarily a playmaker. Filppula is playing far better on the wing so you could use Getzlaf as his center and put Pavel and Z back together. I think that makes the top-six quite a bit more dynamic than the one with Franzen in it. I don't buy your theory at all the Red Wings offense would suffer more with Getzlaf as opposed to Franzen.

Edited by GoWings1905, 06 January 2012 - 02:00 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#54 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'm not sold on Getzlaf as something this team would seriously improve on. If we got rid of Franzen we would still need a guy who is a threat to score goals.

Perry is a bonafide goal scorer and can definitely bring something huge to the team if we trade a core player. I don't care if he is a ******. He can be our ******. And I'll even trade my Franzen shirts for Perry shirts if we make a trade with the two involved.

Gowings: Datsyuk and Zetterberg shouldn't be tried again. They don't mesh the same way they did in 08 and 09, and I think it hurts the team to force them back together for the sake of acquired players.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 06 January 2012 - 02:10 PM.

Posted Image

#55 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

People need to take Franzen off the trading block. I know even I had a glimmer of a thought about trading him early in the season, but he's having a good year so far and he's still clutch (half his goals are game winners). Plus, his proven playoff performance means he stays. As the year progresses there are fewer and fewer players worth trading. Stuart is having a good year, and our defense is so good right now Holland won't want to mess with that.

So it'd have to be a forward or pick trade. And nobody wants the forwards we could spare, at least not for a great player in exchange.

Unless he can find a team who needs to rebuild and can offer just picks for a player.

And let me point out that Franzen is having a better year than Perry. Perry is not some amazing player who will change this team. He's good, but not the player the Wings need.

Edited by VM1138, 06 January 2012 - 02:14 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#56 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'm not sold on Getzlaf as something this team would seriously improve on. If we got rid of Franzen we would still need a guy who is a threat to score goals.

Perry is a bonafide goal scorer and can definitely bring something huge to the team if we trade a core player. I don't care if he is a ******. He can be our ******. And I'll even trade my Franzen shirts for Perry shirts if we make a trade with the two involved.

Gowings: Datsyuk and Zetterberg shouldn't be tried again. They don't mesh the same way they did in 08 and 09, and I think it hurts the team to force them back together for the sake of acquired players.

I pretty much agree with that too. I think they are better off apart especially with Filppula's emergence at wing, but they almost have to stay separated too now out of necessity. The depth at center (or lack of) pretty much means D & Z have to center their own lines, where adding Getzlaf definitely eliminates that need. Maybe Z could find some of that goal-scoring touch again playing with Pavel for an extended time.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#57 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

People need to take Franzen off the trading block. I know even I had a glimmer of a thought about trading him early in the season, but he's having a good year so far and he's still clutch (half his goals are game winners). Plus, his proven playoff performance means he stays. As the year progresses there are fewer and fewer players worth trading. Stuart is having a good year, and our defense is so good right now Holland won't want to mess with that.

So it'd have to be a forward or pick trade. And nobody wants the forwards we could spare, at least not for a great player in exchange.

Unless he can find a team who needs to rebuild and can offer just picks for a player.

And let me point out that Franzen is having a better year than Perry. Perry is not some amazing player who will change this team. He's good, but not the player the Wings need.

I agree with you for this year. However, this team may be hindered in ~6 years by Mule's contract. IMO Mule is being offered here because of the length of his contract.

Ryan is 24 and Mule's best season had 2 more points in 7 more games than Ryan's worst season. Perry is 26 and has a higher PPG than Mule.

#58 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

I guarantee you that Ken Holland would not trade for him. When has Ken Holland ever signed a player of Perry's character?

I disagree with your examples, as none of them are d-bag weasels of Corey Perry magnitude.

Well it's more or less a matter of opinion...The examples I used I feel are as bad - if not worse than Perry...Chris "I would never play for Detroit" Chelios to Ulf "I go for the knees" Sammuelsson, to Wendel "I punch 1st and ask questions later" Clark to Todd "I end careers with a cheap shot" Bertuzzi.

Yeah your right - Perry is an ass when compared toi these guys :rolleyes:

#59 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

And Anaheim will want Tatar--an unproven scorer--and Stuart--on the last year of his contract--why? By the way, Stuart sold his house in San Jose.

And... we want Perry WHY?

You can't figure out why the Red Wings could benefit from having a guy who scored 50 goals last season (Franzens best is 34), is good for 70+ points even if he doesn't score 50 again (Franzens best is 59 points), is a big body not afraid to go to the net, performs well in the playoffs, and is a pain in the ass to play against?

I hate Perry, but he would make the Wings a better team. I know that for Mule it's all about the playoffs, and I'm not saying I'd swap him for Perry. It's easy to sit back and crap all over ideas people suggest, but this one is not as insane as you make it out to be.

You're right. They were all much bigger douchebags than Perry. Chelios and Samuellsson were much dirtier players than anything Perry has ever done. Perry doesn't even reach the level of Pronger. And Bert's not a dirty player overall, but he did end a player's career. You can also add to the list Dino Ciccarelli, and probably a few others I'm not thinking of right now.

Perry's a d-bag because most of his antics are stuff like what Maltby used to do. Take little cheapshots and hide behind the ref. But he's an extremely talented player who has a ton of upside.

Getzlaf I wouldn't be so excited about. I've liked elements of his play and he's often a Wings killer, but from what I've heard overall from Ducks fans, they're unhappy with his effort on a nightly basis.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 06 January 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#60 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Franzen has 16 goals and 17 assists in 39 games on a very good Wings team.

Perry has 15 goals and 15 assists in 38 games on a pretty awful Ducks team.

I think saying Franzen is having a better year is a stretch.

Selanne would be perfect, but there's no way he's coming here. Sounds like he wants to end his career with the Ducks, has a NMC, and seems to have a healthy dislike for Detroit. The Ducks were dangling Ryan earlier in the season, so maybe they'll start shopping him again.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 06 January 2012 - 03:02 PM.