Photo
- - - - -

Open Season on Ducks

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Franzen leads the team in goals and is second in points. He's on pace for over 30 goals. How is that "not performing"?

Ok, he was "performing" then last year too when he scored 28 Goals to lead the team and 55 points to end up 4th on the team, right? Problem is, on 2/2/11 he scored 5 goals against Ottawa to give him a total of 26 on the season, that means for the next 2+ months he only had 2 goals, one on 3/5/11 vs. PHX and one on 4/3/11 vs. MIN. That is far from performing and leading the team. He does the same thing year in and year out. He is very lazy most nights, puts in a batch of goals for a stretch, then disappears again. I'd rather he score a goal every other game than a bundle before the trade deadline then stink up the ice the rest of the season. Again, if Perry is presented to us and Franzen needs to part of the deal, I say do it!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#102 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

It is important to note Mule has zero goals when the team is trailing.

For comparison purposes I would like to know how big of a difference that is between him and other players.

Posted Image

#103 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

It is important to note Mule has zero goals when the team is trailing.

And at the other end of the spectrum, he leads the league in game winners.

Ok, he was "performing" then last year too when he scored 28 Goals to lead the team and 55 points to end up 4th on the team, right? Problem is, on 2/2/11 he scored 5 goals against Ottawa to give him a total of 26 on the season, that means for the next 2+ months he only had 2 goals, one on 3/5/11 vs. PHX and one on 4/3/11 vs. MIN. That is far from performing and leading the team. He does the same thing year in and year out. He is very lazy most nights, puts in a batch of goals for a stretch, then disappears again. I'd rather he score a goal every other game than a bundle before the trade deadline then stink up the ice the rest of the season. Again, if Perry is presented to us and Franzen needs to part of the deal, I say do it!

Yes, he had a bad stretch last year, but overall it was still a decent year. What you don't seem to understand is that all but the very elite scorers are streaky. For that matter even most of those are streaky. Perry has 3 goals in his last 12 games, same as Franzen. He had another 3 in 12 stretch last year, then went on his massive 19 in 14 run. Ovechkin has a stretch this year of 2 in 15. Last year had a 2 in 19 drought. Parise had a run this year of 2 in 15. Sharp has 3 in his last 11, and had a run of 2 in 10 earlier this year (both in the same game). Neal has a 3 in 12 stretch this year, and 2 in 27 (regular season and playoffs) last year with Pittsburgh. Gaborik has 1 in his last 5, and had runs of 1 in 6 and 1 in 7 earlier this year. Stamkos, who leads the league, on pace to maybe get 60, had streaks of 1 in 5, 1 in 6, and 0 in 5 this year. Hossa has 2 in his last 8, and had 2 in 13 earlier this year. Datsyuk and Zetterberg may be "playmakers" first, but they are also elite players and are both capable of scoring as many or more goals than Mule. How're they doing? The consistency you want just doesn't exist.

Franzen since March of '08, up until his rotten run to end last year, played a total of 163 regular season games and 51 playoff games, scored in 71 regular and 22 playoff games, for a total of 85 regular and 31 playoff goals, and his longest stretch without a goal in that span was 6 games. He is as consistent as you can find in a 30-40 goal scorer, and though his contract is long his cap hit is uner $4 million (low enough that it won't really hurt much even if he does start to suck in a few years).

He's not a great skater (not terrible either), and not nearly as physical or tough as you want from a guy his size, but he's not as lazy as he's made out to be. He may not add as much as other guys when he's not scoring, but he's not useless either.

No question I would take Perry or Ryan over him, they are great young players and may yet improve even more. That doesn't mean he's a good trade option. But I guess people are going to hate who they hate regardless.

#104 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

If we could do Ryan and Beleskey for Franzen and someone else I'd be ecstatic.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#105 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

For comparison purposes I would like to know how big of a difference that is between him and other players.

Me too. I was surprised to see that statistic last night. As I've said, I like Mule but his contract length is excessive. I would trade Mule for Ryan, Perry, or Getzlaf. To me, Mule has the most value outside of Dats and Z. His contract is what makes me offer him in this thread- not necessarily his current play.

#106 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

And at the other end of the spectrum, he leads the league in game winners.

...Here we ago with GWG's.... Do we have to explain it to you again?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#107 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

...Here we ago with GWG's.... Do we have to explain it to you again?

First: You've never explained anything to me, nor do you need to. I know what a GWG is. Don't try to be condescending.

Second: Game winners are just as relevant as the stat on goals-when-trailing. Maybe you'd prefer if I said that 5 times he's scored the games first goal. 4 more times he's given us a 2-0 lead. Twice he's scored in the 3rd period with the game tied. He has an OT winner as well. That's just this year. Half his goals coming when the game is tied. You act like none of his goals ever matter.

Third: Way to ignore the rest of the post... the part that was actually directed at you; the part that shows your opinion of Franzen is baseless. Of course, you just want to hate Franzen, so you only care about the negatives. Anything positive you have to ignore or marginalize.

#108 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

Kinda strange IMO that Getzlaf isn't rendered an "untouchable".

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#109 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

The way the talk is going now, it's looking like Ryan is the biggest name that might move.
The ending contacts might get moved for players with years left on contract.