• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

this is nothing but a negotiation ploy for the NHLPA. Get ready everyone because another lockout is coming

Possibly. But Bettman and the NHL made this move much more likely by not involving the NHLPA in the process until now. A while back in an interview about the realignment, Bettman was openly condescending towards the union and about how they'll check with them but don't really have to be consulted.

The league went ahead with this process and by not involving the NHLPA from the start put them in the position of having to put the brakes on this if they didn't agree. Now they're painting the union as the bad guy for delaying things, which is idiotic. If there's a massive reorganization like that, doesn't it seem like they should have involved the people who actually play the hockey games BEFORE they decided to go ahead with the plan?

The posturing has definitely begun, but it's not like it's only come from the NHLPA. Bettman has nothing but open disdain for the players union and sets a very divisive tone. If there is another lockout, he should absolutely be removed as commissioner. I understand he is representing the franchise owners but ultimately he represents the game, and sometimes his job means he needs to save a few idiot billionaires from themselves.

A big part of his job is and should be diplomacy, which is where Bettman is the most lacking.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 06 January 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#22 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

f*** em.

What needs to be done in a situation like this is, move Winnipeg to the West, move Detroit to the East, and just for s***s, move Columbus to the East and move the Penguins to the Pacific. Thatíll teach them. <_<
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#23 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

There goes the home and home against every team and the easier travel schedule.

The NHLPA finds another way to embarrass itself.

Fixed it for you.

Seriously though, I thought the new realignment was good. It would have reduced travel for teams, but I guess the NHLPA isn't interested in that. If there is anything we as fans should take away from this, it is that nothing is certain when the CBA expires. We hope the process will go smoothly. We hope that there will be a new CBA in time for training camp and the season. With this NHLPA, nothing is certain. This really was a slam dunk for the league and fans. By rejecting it, I believe the NHLPA is setting the stage for a very difficult and contentious bargaining off season.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#24 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

Possibly. But Bettman and the NHL made this move much more likely by not involving the NHLPA in the process until now. A while back in an interview about the realignment, Bettman was openly condescending towards the union and about how they'll check with them but don't really have to be consulted.

The league went ahead with this process and by not involving the NHLPA from the start put them in the position of having to put the brakes on this if they didn't agree. Now they're painting the union as the bad guy for delaying things, which is idiotic. If there's a massive reorganization like that, doesn't it seem like they should have involved the people who actually play the hockey games BEFORE they decided to go ahead with the plan?

The posturing has definitely begun, but it's not like it's only come from the NHLPA. Bettman has nothing but open disdain for the players union and sets a very divisive tone. If there is another lockout, he should absolutely be removed as commissioner. I understand he is representing the franchise owners but ultimately he represents the game, and sometimes his job means he needs to save a few idiot billionaires from themselves.

A big part of his job is and should be diplomacy, which is where Bettman is the most lacking.

I do agree with you to a point.

We don't know if the NHLPA was invited to get input from this plan or not. What I do know is this, there are two sides here. We cannot speculate that Bettman is totally in the wrong here. Just like we cannot speculate that the NHLPA is totally wrong for rejecting it. What we can say is that this could have went better. Both sides should have done their part, and I believe that the NHL and NHLPA are entering a contentious period. Bargaining is going to start up here in about 4 months. Both sides are getting ready for a big fight, as what happens with every professional league when billions are at stake.

In short, lets not say that Bettman is lacking in diplomacy. Its like saying the Republicans lack diplomacy because they don't talk to the Democrats and vice versa. I believe that both sides are set in their ways and neither wants to budge. I really fear for another lockout for next season. I wouldn't doubt it if we saw 1-3 months lost, or maybe even the whole season.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#25 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Ah, once again the public suffers due to a pissing contest. Bettman should have included the NHLPA, and the NHLPA should just move on. f*** both of them.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#26 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

What a joke.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#27 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

f*** em.

What needs to be done in a situation like this is, move Winnipeg to the West, move Detroit to the East, and just for s***s, move Columbus to the East and move the Penguins to the Pacific. Thatíll teach them. <_<

Move the pens to the AHL

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#28 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

http://www.nhlpa.com...sed-realignment

NHLPA statement.

#29 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/media-releases/details/2012/01/07/statement-from-nhlpa-executive-director-don-fehr-regarding-proposed-realignment

NHLPA statement.

So they asked to see a sample of what the travel conditions would be like for next year, fair enough, but were basically told "you never get this"... prettyf****** stupid by the NHL if this is true. Also according to TSN the schedule maker had to make the schedule for next year already so it seems like it would be pretty easy to produce the requested information.

Either way this just goes to show the complete and utter lack of communication, trust, and respect between the NHL and NHLPA.

#30 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Can't say I'm surprised. Bettman f***s up something that should be simple. Plus, I'm certain it was Eastern Conference teams bitching about travel. Boo hoo, you can drive to half your games still. This league really disgusts me sometimes.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

Can't say I'm surprised. Bettman f***s up something that should be simple. Plus, I'm certain it was Eastern Conference teams bitching about travel. Boo hoo, you can drive to half your games still. This league really disgusts me sometimes.

I'd love to see what some of these Eastern Teams that don't travel would say if they were put in a Western team's position for a month.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

I was hoping in the beginning that the Wings would just be moved over to the East; but saw the proposed realignment as equitable as far as travel was concerned as well as the bonus for all fans to get to see every team during the season.

Iím seriously pissed off right now. The NHLPA can state that there was unfairness in how the realignment was communicated to the NHLPA; but it is more than obvious that the East pushed the vote on this.

Personally, I will not attend another NHL game until there is a fair alignment. f*** the NHLPA and the Eastern Conference. The fans are the lifeblood, so letís suck it out.

#33 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

All I know is, if they lock out and there is no season, I am moving to Europe. I can't deal with losing my hockey.

Extra travel for who? Wings have had to deal with that issue for decades. <_<

I'd get ready to move. I'd say between this and the financials that the owners are going to propose to the players virtually guarantees a lockout next year.
Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#34 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Winnipeg is surely pissed.

#35 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:16 AM

I didn't like the new realignment anyway, so it doesn't bother me the PA rejected it. The owners liked it because it meant they could raise ticket prices even more, with more out of Conference "elite games".

I'd get ready to move. I'd say between this and the financials that the owners are going to propose to the players virtually guarantees a lockout next year.

I'd like to see the PA crush the Owners this time, so Bettman is out the door. Time for some new blood. America has had 3 Presidents since Bettman took over. Imagine how sick of Clinton we'd be if he was still around?
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#36 DraperFan MN

DraperFan MN

Minnesota Wing Man

• HoF Booster
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

Most teams are in the east = a majority of players voting against it. It absolutely upped the travel of those teams, spreading it out more evenly across the league. As it is now, the EC teams travel minimally compared to WC teams, especially those WC teams in the eastern and central time zones.

However, I do agree this might not have been that big of a deal had Bettman and the league approached this with the league instead of appearing to force it down their throats.
....Cheering for McCarty.

#37 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

Winnipeg is surely pissed.

Winnipeg was one of the four teams that voted against realignment.

#38 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

Don't we have any people that know how to get things done.
Do or do not. There is no try

#39 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

I really hope they realize the league can't survive another lockout. Even drama about the possibility of a lockout would kill the progress the league has made. The NHL won't recover.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#40 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Here's an MLive article on the topic. Devellano is not happy with the union.
http://www.mlive.com...llano_disg.html

This quote is interesting.

"In order to evaluate the effect on travel of the proposed new structure, we requested a draft or sample 2012-13 schedule, showing travel per team,'' Fehr said in a statement. "We were advised it was not possible for the League to do that. We also suggested reaching an agreement on scheduling conditions to somewhat alleviate Player travel concerns (e.g., the scheduling of more back-to-back games, more difficult and lengthier road trips, number of border crossings, etc.), but the League did not want to enter into such a dialogue.

"The travel estimation data we received from the League indicates that many of the current Pacific and Central teams, that have demanding travel schedules under the current format, could see their travel become even more difficult.

"On the playoff qualification matter, we suggested discussing ways to eliminate the inherent differences in the proposed realignment, but the League was not willing to do so.''

Fehr said the NHLPA is "ready and willing to have further discussions should the league be willing to do so.''

Edited by WorkingOvertime, 07 January 2012 - 10:05 AM.