Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Detroit Red Wings, Stanley Cup Champions!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

Thought I'd share this, as you know I like to contribute historical-based links here, and I stumbled across this on Youtube. I like this video because it shows more than two second clips. This video actually gives you a chance to figure out what's going on. Awesome highlights. Not quite as good as a full game, which as far as I know aren't available anywhere this old.

And 1955:

Love the speech at the end about how consistently awesome the Wings are. Sounds familiar!

Edited by VM1138, 07 January 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#2 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Good stuff right here, thanks for the post! :thumbup:

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

this is awesome!

#4 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

Awesome!

I love seeing the old time vids, its incredible how skilled those guys are. Delvecchio is a beast out there.

The announcer is great too.

Thanks for posting. :thumbup:
Posted Image

#5 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

That was superb; thank you for posting it. The music bed was kiiler. Believe it or not, they were still using wire-mesh screening, behind the nets and along the sides, at that time.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#6 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

I just kept thinking, "They're playing without helmets." That's how they did it when I was a kid, but it still jars me to go back and watch.

As Gordie said when asked why he wore a cup but not a helmet, "You can always pay someone to do your thinking."

Watching the goalies was cool too. The difference in technique and style takes me back as well.

Thanks for posting this.

Is it just me, or did they mis-identify someone else as Delvecchio in one spot in the first clip? Maybe I was watching the wrong person.

#7 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

That's great footage!

#8 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

I like how they pat each other's heads after a goal like today, but they're not wearing helmets.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.