• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwingfan19

Cherry rips Holland

Rate this topic

259 posts in this topic

Dude I agree with everything you said, but if you look back over the posts you'll see my whole line of comments came as a response to someone who thought we should get these guys to stop Joe Thornton, and guys like him, from "mugging" Pavel, Hank, and Lidstrom. I just said that this particular justification is stupid. Not that Moen or Gaustad where bad players. And after watching Franzen blow his coverage last night on the game tying goal in the waning seconds of the third, I'd be thrilled to see almost any player on the ice in the last minute rather than him and big Bert. No knock on Bert, but maybe someone with a little defensive acumen when you're trying to protect a lead. Nevermind, that's beside the point.

I'm not suggesting (nor have I suggested) getting a guy for a role as team goon with the idea of protecting our stars - I've been suggesting that a team could use a few guys like Moen/Gaustad because they can play, AND drop the mitts when needed, BUT are much more capable of a 4 to 6 min one-dimensional player like Colton Orr...It looks to me you're taking things outta context, and/or trying to create a new argument over something I never suggested.

As newfy pointed out - be it the playoffs, or regular season some opponents will want to send the message if they're getting blown out...Who would you rather have out on the ice to take a faceoff, and line up with 2 minutes, or less on the clock - a combo of Moen/Gaustad/Abby/Miller, or Franzen/Dats/Hudler/Hank/Filppula/etc/etc?

Edited by F.Michael

I'm not suggesting (nor have I suggested) getting a guy for a role as team goon with the idea of protecting our stars - I've been suggesting that a team could use a few guys like Moen/Gaustad because they can play, AND drop the mitts when needed, BUT are much more capable of a 4 to 6 min one-dimensional player like Colton Orr...It looks to me you're taking things outta context, and/or trying to create a new argument over something I never suggested.

As newfy pointed out - be it the playoffs, or regular season some opponents will want to send the message if they're getting blown out...Who would you rather have out on the ice to take a faceoff, and line up with 2 minutes, or less on the clock - a combo of Moen/Gaustad/Abby/Miller, or Franzen/Dats/Hudler/Hank/Filppula/etc/etc?

Depends on the score. Last night we had Bert, Z, and Franzen out with under a minute and we didn't have to worry about some tough guy sending a message, we had to worry about getting scored on and losing the game. And IMO neither Moen or Gaustad would have helped much in a situation like that, except maybe Gaustad would have won the damn faceoff.

Edited by kipwinger

4-0...Wings dominating.

Sorry I changed that last post on you. Anyway, we've been in that situation a lot over the years and I don't recall anyone sending any messages which were ever something to be worried about, at least not anymore than a team losing 4-0 is bound to do at any other point in the game.

Edited by kipwinger

As a matter of fact, the only injury we've sustained in the last 5 or 6 years that could be attributed to a "message sending" incident was Stuart's broken jaw. And I hardly think Brad Stuart is the kind of guy who needs a big brother on the ice protecting him. "Message sending" rarely happens in today's game, and when it does, no tough guy in the world is going to prevent it. I didn't see the presence of Paul Gaustad preventing Lucic from running over Miller this season, and after the poor showing Gaustad had in his fight with Lucic the next game, I hardly think Lucic has been deterred from sending another message again when he feels like it.

As a matter of fact, the only injury we've sustained in the last 5 or 6 years that could be attributed to a "message sending" incident was Stuart's broken jaw. And I hardly think Brad Stuart is the kind of guy who needs a big brother on the ice protecting him. "Message sending" rarely happens in today's game, and when it does, no tough guy in the world is going to prevent it. I didn't see the presence of Paul Gaustad preventing Lucic from running over Miller this season, and after the poor showing Gaustad had in his fight with Lucic the next game, I hardly think Lucic has been deterred from sending another message again when he feels like it.

If memory serves me right Rafalski got his nose broken when Perry jumped him in a playoff game...Either way I'm not talking about a deterrant as much as I'm talking about in the last few minutes of a game (again be it regular season, or playoffs) where the Wings have a commanding lead, and our opponent wants to get nasty...I'd rather keep our skill guys/non-fighters on the bench to avoid getting injured.

If memory serves me right Rafalski got his nose broken when Perry jumped him in a playoff game...Either way I'm not talking about a deterrant as much as I'm talking about in the last few minutes of a game (again be it regular season, or playoffs) where the Wings have a commanding lead, and our opponent wants to get nasty...I'd rather keep our skill guys/non-fighters on the bench to avoid getting injured.

I understand that, but I think we've got the guys to do that anyway. I see no reason why our defensively responsible and much tougher third line can't perform that task. Abby, Helm, and Miller were having one of their better games of the season last night and they were kept off the ice in the final minute and look what happened. Gaustad and Moen are good players, and I won't be upset if either of them come here, but not because I think we need someone to handle the rough stuff, we're fine in that department.

I understand that, but I think we've got the guys to do that anyway. I see no reason why our defensively responsible and much tougher third line can't perform that task. Abby, Helm, and Miller were having one of their better games of the season last night and they were kept off the ice in the final minute and look what happened. Gaustad and Moen are good players, and I won't be upset if either of them come here, but not because I think we need someone to handle the rough stuff, we're fine in that department.

Yes - we have a fine 3rd line - however for the upcoming playoffs I'd love to see a rental such as Gaustad, or Moen in the line up to replace inexperienced guys such as Mursak, or Emmerton...That's just my humble opinion.