Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Cherry rips Holland

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#21 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

I'll just summarize the responses for you here:

Crymson: "NO! The Wings are perfect and Holland had nice hair! They do not need a tough guy."

Konnan: "You're all just xenophobic euro-haters. They score plenty of points with 'soft-euros'."

Various: "Fighting in hockey is useless. You should just watch UFC, you don't even like hockey."

Holland: "The right deal just wasn't available, but we're confident that some players will take that next step..."

You forgot the most important one:

"You don't like Hudler and Franzen? You are not a true Wings fan, why don't you go root for the Penguins?"

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#22 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

Cherry has always disliked the Wings because he hates Euros. If you have some sort of evidence that not having a tough guy prevents you from winning it all, present it. Otherwise stfu Don Cherry. I mean come on....the guy claims Datsyuk is a dirty player.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#23 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

Chicago didn't have one in 2010

Wait, didn't they have both Adam Burish and Ben Eager on the roster that won the cup? Granted neither is, e.g. Steve MacIntyre level, but that's far more beefcake than the Wings currently have.

You forgot the most important one:

"You don't like Hudler and Franzen? You are not a true Wings fan, why don't you go root for the Penguins?"

:lol: I forgot about the Penguins comment.

#24 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

Exactly who was theirs in 2008? Running from hockeyfights.com...

Downey? Won 7 of 10, but several in close decisions. Lilja? Three, all draws. Drake? Lost 3 of five. McCarty? Zero fighting majors.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#25 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

I just watched it and WOW...he is literally giving Aaron Downey credit for the Wings last cup.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Exactly who was theirs in 2008? Running from hockeyfights.com...

Downey? Won 7 of 10, but several in close decisions. Lilja? Three, all draws. Drake? Lost 3 of five. McCarty? Zero fighting majors.

you don't have to win them all, just be willing to go. Downey, Lilja, Drake, McCarty. Any one of who would drop the gloves at the first run at Datsyuk or Lidstrom. We don't have a regular player like that now. And when our star players are getting beat on in the regular season, it takes it's toll on their bodies and they are hurting in the playoffs. If a Aaron Downey was there to protect them in the regular season, they are that less hurting come playoffs.

www.thinkdunes.com

#27 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

I find sherrie's statement funny considering holland is the best gm in the league and Burke may be the worst...

I do think they should invest in a tough guy who they can throw in for a shift or 2 per game to rough people up.

I recently watched the highlights of every wings game in the 08 playoffs and I noticed that dallas drake had 2-3 HUGE hits per series. They don't necessarily need a fighter, just a big hitter would be fine

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#28 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Video up

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#29 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

you don't have to win them all, just be willing to go. Downey, Lilja, Drake, McCarty. Any one of who would drop the gloves at the first run at Datsyuk or Lidstrom. We don't have a regular player like that now. And when our star players are getting beat on in the regular season, it takes it's toll on their bodies and they are hurting in the playoffs. If a Aaron Downey was there to protect them in the regular season, they are that less hurting come playoffs.

Which cheap shots have caused the Wings to be "hurting" in the playoffs?

You guys are looking for grit in the wrong places. The team as a whole needs to allow for a grittier offensive mindset because they do not have the talent they had on that cup winning team. They have to be able to grind out wins and push back as much as they get pushed if they want to make a serious run at the cup.

The team's problems at grit would be pretty much non-existent if they could do that. Right now they can't. Someone to keep the flies off isn't a be all end all for the success of this hockey team, just like it wasn't in 2008. That team was talented, but could crash and bang when it needed to.

Too bad, indeed. I have tried reasonable discourse, multiple times on this board. All it gets me is hyperbole thrown back, strawmen, and outright personal attacks. So, I fall back on humor.

Two wrongs don't make a right, pal.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 07 January 2012 - 11:44 PM.

Posted Image

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

Video up

Well, after watching that, I have to say this was blown out of proportion by someone here. He wasn't mocking Holland, he just said, hey, you are gonna have to go into places like Boston and if you don't have someone who is willing to drop em and defend your teammates, then you aren't gonna win.

Boston, San Jose they are going to bounce you around again and again. I agree with Cherry. Wings lack that Avery type player, Lapointe, Drake, Rouse. They don't need a Probert.

www.thinkdunes.com

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

Chicago didn't have one in 2010

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

Well, after watching that, I have to say this was blown out of proportion by someone here. He wasn't mocking Holland, he just said, hey, you are gonna have to go into places like Boston and if you don't have someone who is willing to drop em and defend your teammates, then you aren't gonna win.

Boston, San Jose they are going to bounce you around again and again. I agree with Cherry. Wings lack that Avery type player, Lapointe, Drake, Rouse. They don't need a Probert.

Maybe I blew it a bit out of proportion with the thread title but I thought it was a shot by Cherry to Holland and the Wings. We all know it wouldn't hurt to add some tougher players on the 4th line but it wont happen this year.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#33 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:59 AM

I don't feel like Avery belongs with Lapointe, Drake and Rouse.
  • Nev likes this

#34 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

After watching the video, I have to say that the OP blew it out of proportion. However, I agree with what ol' Don said. I don't know how many times we have to get bounced out of the playoffs by a team like San Jose to figure that out.

#35 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

Colton Orr or GTFO!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:54 AM

Because Boston has such a winning record against us? I'm tired of this tough guy garbage. Last playoff run the Wings dished out more hits than the teams we played, and San Jose was a bruising team. Yeah, Boston is tough, but tough isn't what wins. A proper balance of skills wins. I'm not denigrating Boston, they're the best team right now, but in a 7 game series I like our chances still.

EDIT: Like Mick said tonight, Boston didn't win the Cup because of their physicality. They won because Vancouver couldn't score.

It's hard to score when the puck is in your end of the ice courtesy of an aggressve forecheck that involves big/fast/physical opponents whom aren't easily intimidated.

Just sayin ;)

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:14 AM

Well, apart from saying Probert was on the cup winning teams, and saying Downey "was there" (he wasn't), and apart from being the guy who thinks Lidstrom is no good because he doesn't hit, apart from that, I guess he has a point, that we could do with a LaPointe/McCarty/Drake type player.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#38 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:05 AM

Because Boston has such a winning record against us? I'm tired of this tough guy garbage. Last playoff run the Wings dished out more hits than the teams we played, and San Jose was a bruising team. Yeah, Boston is tough, but tough isn't what wins. A proper balance of skills wins. I'm not denigrating Boston, they're the best team right now, but in a 7 game series I like our chances still.

EDIT: Like Mick said tonight, Boston didn't win the Cup because of their physicality. They won because Vancouver couldn't score.

:thumbup:

The joke in Bean Town after they won the Cup was:
"Hey, what time is it?"
"Nineteen past Luongo"

#39 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Mr. Holland should sign Don Cherry.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#40 taxijim

taxijim

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

Colton Orr or GTFO!

esteef

We could use a guy like Colton Orr......never score a lot of goals but a real team guy who would hold other teams accountable when they constantly run our premier players or our goalie......he doesn't win every fight but he has broken a few noses around the league!!

Being a huge Helm fan I remember in 2008 when he was called up for the Cup run, he had a thing going with Brooks Orkpik......whenever Orkpik took a few liberties with young Helmer, McCarty was right there right away to make sure things went "smoothly". This is something this years team misses badly!