258 replies to this topic

#141 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

Saw this gem on twitter today from Khan:

Babcock: “I wish we were the biggest, toughest, ugliest team in organized hockey. That's not how we're built, so you coach what you got.''

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Way to go, Babs.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#142 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

I'll say it again 'DRAPER AND MALTBY ARE NOT MORE PHYSICAL THAN EAVES AND MILLER!"

I was the one that said it not UK first of all, second of all you can say it all you want, PUT IT IN BIG HUGE CAP LOCKS, or even put it into a really cool font but I can guarantee there will be noone on this site, even the people who consider Eaves and Miller as gritty guys who would say they were as physical and wear teams down as much as Maltby and Draper.

Eaves may be as physical as Draper, but hes not even close when it comes to bottom 6 ability to play hockey. Draper is the textbook definition of a 4th line center, the best faceoff man in the league, the best PKer, one of the fastest skaters and had a bit of offense to his game. Eaves isnt even close to Draper in other areas whatsoever and Draper was probably just as physical as him.

Maltby on the other hand, if you think either of Eaves or Miller are as physical as he was than you might wanna get your head checked

Babcock: “I wish we were the biggest, toughest, ugliest team in organized hockey. That's not how we're built, so you coach what you got.''

Hey Kipwinger, remember when you were talking about how Babcock doesnt like toughness?

This sure sounds to me like hes almost calling for Holland to get him some toughness. First Jimmy, now Babcock.. I wonder if Kenny will listen to these guys at the deadline.

Tonights game is a great example of when having a tough player like a Tim Jackman could have sparked this team. He would've went out for a shift, hit everything that moved and probably started a fight since he knows his role on a team. When there is no energy out there and the skill isnt working is when its nice to have these guys.

Its funy, the wings came out flat as a board like today against Vancouver earlier this season, Abby whoops Lappy and the wings come to life. Say it all you want but it has a place in hockey to have toughness in your bottom 6, I cant believe some people are so brainwashed to think otherwise

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#143 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

This quote may become my signature. To be honest, I'm a little hard right now.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#144 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

This quote may become my signature. To be honest, I'm a little hard right now.

SLow er down there bruise bros lol

but seriously, with Howard calling out the team for getting ran and now Babcock with this gem what do you think the chances are that Kenny listens?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#145 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

I was the one that said it not UK first of all, second of all you can say it all you want, PUT IT IN BIG HUGE CAP LOCKS, or even put it into a really cool font but I can guarantee there will be noone on this site, even the people who consider Eaves and Miller as gritty guys who would say they were as physical and wear teams down as much as Maltby and Draper.

Eaves may be as physical as Draper, but hes not even close when it comes to bottom 6 ability to play hockey. Draper is the textbook definition of a 4th line center, the best faceoff man in the league, the best PKer, one of the fastest skaters and had a bit of offense to his game. Eaves isnt even close to Draper in other areas whatsoever and Draper was probably just as physical as him.

Maltby on the other hand, if you think either of Eaves or Miller are as physical as he was than you might wanna get your head checked

Hey Kipwinger, remember when you were talking about how Babcock doesnt like toughness?

This sure sounds to me like hes almost calling for Holland to get him some toughness. First Jimmy, now Babcock.. I wonder if Kenny will listen to these guys at the deadline.

Tonights game is a great example of when having a tough player like a Tim Jackman could have sparked this team. He would've went out for a shift, hit everything that moved and probably started a fight since he knows his role on a team. When there is no energy out there and the skill isnt working is when its nice to have these guys.

Its funy, the wings came out flat as a board like today against Vancouver earlier this season, Abby whoops Lappy and the wings come to life. Say it all you want but it has a place in hockey to have toughness in your bottom 6, I cant believe some people are so brainwashed to think otherwise

Find a stat board, look at Maltby's hits per season and compare it to Eaves'.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#146 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

SLow er down there bruise bros lol

but seriously, with Howard calling out the team for getting ran and now Babcock with this gem what do you think the chances are that Kenny listens?

Lol I keed, of course.

Well, with Howard coming out and basically saying "Clear the damn crease", we found Commodore playing more. I doubt we'll get an immediate reaponse from Ken, but possibly at the deadline or in the offseason. I mean, you just don't see quotes like that often. Typically, coaches are pretty hush about the personnel that is brought in, so I take that as a "Ken, give me something to work with". That should speak pretty loud knowing that coaches typically don't speak out like that.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#147 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

Babcock: "I wish we were the biggest, toughest, ugliest team in organized hockey. That's not how we're built, so you coach what you got.''

I'm sure his current players loved hearing that, haha.

Actually, here's a little context:

Winghead19 Carrie Hampton @ @AnsarKhanMLive Is Babs complaining? Seriously? 9 hours ago

AnsarKhanMLive Ansar Khan @ @Winghead19 No. He was being somewhat facetious in response to a question about Wings having only five fighting majors. 9 hours ago

Edited by Red Wings Addict, 11 January 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#148 pboss

pboss

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

Lol I keed, of course.

Well, with Howard coming out and basically saying "Clear the damn crease", we found Commodore playing more. I doubt we'll get an immediate reaponse from Ken, but possibly at the deadline or in the offseason. I mean, you just don't see quotes like that often. Typically, coaches are pretty hush about the personnel that is brought in, so I take that as a "Ken, give me something to work with". That should speak pretty loud knowing that coaches typically don't speak out like that.

i agree i am a huge wings fan 4 the past 18 years and during that time i seen ken holland turn from a genius gm who builds a cup winning team like in 2002 and in 2008 to becoming the laziest and most dumb stubborn gm that is completely depleting the team he seems scared to make bold trades and the deadline is always hesistant to trade any of our picks if it means we can make an upgrade to the team to make a serious run for the cup the majority of our top player are getting old and slow yet he is blind to the fact we need to get younger faster and more grittier skilled players to keep up with todays nhl

#149 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

Find a stat board, look at Maltby's hits per season and compare it to Eaves'.

Literally the worst stat the NHL keeps track of lol.

Last year Chad Larose 5'9 and not tough was ahead of Brad Stuart and near the top of the league in hits, same with Darrol Powe.

Kronwall doesnt consistently throw little tiny hits ( what Miller and Eaves do) but he'll unload with a huge one that can change a game or a series. The hit stat is good for comparing guys on the same team but the actual numbers are terrible.

Lol I keed, of course.

I know, its rare to see a coach come right out and say it like that. That coupled with Howards comments would really have me lose a bit of faith in Holland if he didnt address it a little bit anyways.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#150 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

I know, its rare to see a coach come right out and say it like that. That coupled with Howards comments would really have me lose a bit of faith in Holland if he didnt address it a little bit anyways.

According to Khan's comments on that particular tweet, Babs was joking.

Kind of like, "Yeah I know. I only got Nick Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk... But oh well, that's what I got to work with."

#151 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

No kidding haha. I have a feeling Kipwinger wasnt watching hockey back in the 90s to see a prime Maltby. He was a top notch agitator and definitely a big hitter.

Notice how he found 0 clips f Miller though?

Miller and Eaves are really good guys and i like them and want them to succeed. But they are vanilla. I don't think they really strike any sort of angst, anxiousness, or irritation into their opponents on game day morning like the Grind Line did.

#152 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

Babcock talks toughness

Babcock was asked if he takes pride in winning with a team that annually ranks at the bottom of the NHL in fighting majors (a league-low six this season).

"I wish we were the biggest, toughest, ugliest team in organized hockey," Babcock said, half-jokingly. "That’s not how we’re built, so you coach what you got."

Babcock would prefer to have an enforcer to "keep the flies off."

The team has had Brad May and Aaron Downey in recent years. But general manager Ken Holland doesn’t like to exhaust a roster spot with a tough guy who can’t play.

"I take pride in the fact we’re real disciplined, but I don’t mind (fighting) majors," Babcock said. "I think fans like majors, too. I never seen anyone leave the building when there’s a scrap.

"We’re just built a different way and you got to win in your own way. Team toughness for us is how hard we are on the puck and how hard we pursue it and how we keep coming. It has nothing to do with fighting.

"We like to think our power play looks after business for us and we play the game between the whistles."

http://www.mlive.com...terberg_st.html

#153 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

According to Khan's comments on that particular tweet, Babs was joking.

Kind of like, "Yeah I know. I only got Nick Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk... But oh well, that's what I got to work with."

Babs comment may have been said in jest - however me thinks there's some underlying seriousness in his comment as well - he just doesn't want to come across as bashing Holland who's doing what he can to ice the best team possible.

My only thought on this is - what did Holland/Nill/amateur scouts see in Emmerton 41st, Matthias 47th, and Axelsson 62nd over Lucic 50th, and Marchand 71st in the 2006 draft?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#154 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Babs comment may have been said in jest - however me thinks there's some underlying seriousness in his comment as well - he just doesn't want to come across as bashing Holland who's doing what he can to ice the best team possible.

My only thought on this is - what did Holland/Nill/amateur scouts see in Emmerton 41st, Matthias 47th, and Axelsson 62nd over Lucic 50th, and Marchand 71st in the 2006 draft?

Probably skill potential.

#155 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

Probably skill potential.

You're probably right...What gets me is that there's so many Red Wing draft picks with this so called "potential" that few if any are regulars in Detroit.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#156 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

I would love to add a guy like Matt Martin to this teams bottom six
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#157 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

That's the kinda guy that would make us a little more difficult to play against. Pretty versatile, as well.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#158 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

As already noted, more potential as that is all you have to go on in the draft. It is a crapshoot for the most part and you can go on and on all day, week, month coming up with examples of why was so and so chosen over so and so. I'll give you another, why did the Wings pick Jody Gage and Boris Fistric instead of Mark Messier?

Looking at the players you pointed out though, using a purely stats based analysis (much more goes into the draft obviously), you'll get the following (from year they were drafted). I left out Axelsson as he was playing in Europe, harder to compare from pure stats perspective vs. the other guys that all played in the CHL.

Emmerton - 6'0", 190 lbs, 66 games, 90 pts
Matthias - 6'4", 216lbs, 67 games, 34 pts

Lucic - 6'4", 220lbs, 62 games, 19 pts
Marchand - 5'9", 190lbs, 68 games, 66 pts

Looking at that and knowing the draft is a crapshoot, it should make a lot of sense as to why Emmerton and Matthias were drafted ahead of Lucic and Marchand. Emmerton clearly looked to have the most offensive upside and he had good size. Matthias and Lucic were both had great size, but Matthias appeared to have better offensive upside (they were both drafted very close together. While Marchand appeared to be better offsensively than those to, he was very small. Guys like him often don't even get drafted. If you are that size, you have to be great offensively to get a sniff and it's not like he was lights out in that regard, he was just about 1 ppg.

#159 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hes a young guy who is going to be a third liner in this league, one of the most physical players in the game and a solid fighter. He would be the perfect type for the wings to offer up a pick or something for.

It also hurts seeing Ferraro drafted over a guy like Kyle Clifford who would also be a perfect fit for what the wings need.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#160 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hes a young guy who is going to be a third liner in this league, one of the most physical players in the game and a solid fighter. He would be the perfect type for the wings to offer up a pick or something for.

It also hurts seeing Ferraro drafted over a guy like Kyle Clifford who would also be a perfect fit for what the wings need.

Yeah Martin has 10 points in 40 games this season, compared to 14 in 68 last year, so he's no slouch. Clifford's at about the same offensive pace he was last season for ~15 points.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 11 January 2012 - 01:28 PM.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien