• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwingfan19

Cherry rips Holland

Rate this topic

Guest Hatethedrake!

I don't think many people really care what Don Cherry thinks anymore. He's too outdated, predictable and senile to be relevant anymore. His clear jealousy of the Red Wings makes me laugh though. If the Wings win the Cup, ol Donny boy may have a heart attack. :lol:

Why isn't he ripping the beloved Habs, who are tied with us for lowest in the NHL in the fighting category? Guys like this are what make guys like me look bad. Its not the amount of fighting majors that counts. More fights does not equal more Stanley Cups automatically. While I do think a minor move or two to get us a little grittier would help us in the long run, I don't think acquiring Steve MacIntyre is gonna do us much good in the postseason.

Personally, I think he is sick of hearing about 1)European players altogether and 2)American NHL teams. If Don Cherry was running the league, it would look like this:

And no European or American players allowed. Because that is the spirit of hockey. Now, I don't like seeing NHL teams fail on Long Island either, but he acts as if Canada invented and trademarked hockey, and nobody else can even think about liking it, or its copyright infringement.

He makes decent points here and there, but then completely goes off road with some other close minded s***.

In conclusion, I think a little added grit will help us a lot in the playoffs, but not a goon.

End rant.

I agree with the whole sentiment that Detroit doesnt need a goon and could use another guy who can play a bit and be tough but are you forgetting the team Cherry is in love with? The bruins, to say he wouldnt allow American teams isnt true at all.

I dont think the wings are softer then a few teams out there, but they are definitely soft and could use another Abdelkader in the lineup.

PS isnt it nice to see Abdelkader manning up now and actually scrapping? 5 fights now, probably end up with 6 or 7 before the year is done and hes getting a lot better at it too

I agree with the whole sentiment that Detroit doesnt need a goon and could use another guy who can play a bit and be tough but are you forgetting the team Cherry is in love with? The bruins, to say he wouldnt allow American teams isnt true at all.

I dont think the wings are softer then a few teams out there, but they are definitely soft and could use another Abdelkader in the lineup.

PS isnt it nice to see Abdelkader manning up now and actually scrapping? 5 fights now, probably end up with 6 or 7 before the year is done and hes getting a lot better at it too

He's getting a lot better at taking and absorbing punches thats for sure, he just needs to get better with that left and he will be legit.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I don't understand how anyone can think the Wings are a SOFT team. While they certainly are not one of the toughest teams in the league (like Boston), they make up for it with a strong work ethic. There is a reason why this team has won 23 games in a row at home. Watch any of those games and the one common theme is the overall hustle and tenacity of the players. Look how guys like Helm, Abdelkader and Miller are playing right now. That's how you win playoff games. Now on the road, it's a different story. We're a .500 club. But it is not because we lack toughness. It's because as a group, we don't play a strong enough team game to win as often as we do at home.

The Wings could certainly use some added size and toughness up front as well as on defense. But this team's hopes will live and die with how hard they work to achieve their common goal. It has always been that way and it always will be.

I look at how Dats competes each night, knocking off guys twice his size to get the puck. I see Stuart taking out opponents in the corners and along the boards. I see Kronwall levelling people. Soft? Give me a break.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

The only change I would like to see is better clearing in front of our net. Watch other teams when a wing is in front of their net and the wing ends up on the ice or knocked out of the way. In front of our net, the wings seem to be content to try to clear the puck or tie up sticks. The opposing player rarely gets cleared out. This does not require an "enforcer", just some physical play.

Don Cherry is a comedian. What did he win in the NHL that makes him an expert?

Edited by SidAbelsSon

I saw the video -and as annoyed as I was, I cant help but think theres a grain of truth. Don is now 78 years old and even more of a rambling incoherent mess then usual - but lets not kid ourselves, hes knows the game. He isnt a Red Wings hater - he has rooted for them in many a playoff series and supported on on CBC many times. I think he sees the lack of sandpaper that used to be filled with the likes of Mcarty, Kocur, Malty, Downey, etc. This is why id love to see Gaustad or Moen - so if were up 3 goals with a minute to play the Joe Thorntons of the world arent going to try and mug Hank/Pav/Nick. With another big body in the lineup should sh*t hit the fan I think we could throw 5 guys out there to handle business with the best of them.

Bertuzzi, Adbelkader, Gaustad, Ericsson, Commie ...

I like the Abs has stepped up in the role he's apparently been assigned, but i also think that he has disappeared in every other aspect of the game. In years prior, he always played physical but didn't fight a whole lot. He had on offensive side and played well with the puck, but i feel that he's gone backwards in most categories and seems to try and be making up for it by filling the gritty role that we have such a huge void for. Does anyone else see that? Or am i just blinded by how well everyone else is playing that I'm just complaining to complain here?

I like the Abs has stepped up in the role he's apparently been assigned, but i also think that he has disappeared in every other aspect of the game. In years prior, he always played physical but didn't fight a whole lot. He had on offensive side and played well with the puck, but i feel that he's gone backwards in most categories and seems to try and be making up for it by filling the gritty role that we have such a huge void for. Does anyone else see that? Or am i just blinded by how well everyone else is playing that I'm just complaining to complain here?

it's not just you, I've noticed it too...

he is trying to play physical and leads the team in hits, but i find he often puts himself out of position to make a weak/late hit on a guy who has already gotten rid of the puck.

There was a thread about this recently though, most people aired their grievances about him there.

note: you know things are going well in Red Wing land, when the only thing to complain about is our 4th line winger

Edited by HelmFan

I saw the video -and as annoyed as I was, I cant help but think theres a grain of truth. Don is now 78 years old and even more of a rambling incoherent mess then usual - but lets not kid ourselves, hes knows the game. He isnt a Red Wings hater - he has rooted for them in many a playoff series and supported on on CBC many times. I think he sees the lack of sandpaper that used to be filled with the likes of Mcarty, Kocur, Malty, Downey, etc. This is why id love to see Gaustad or Moen - so if were up 3 goals with a minute to play the Joe Thorntons of the world arent going to try and mug Hank/Pav/Nick. With another big body in the lineup should sh*t hit the fan I think we could throw 5 guys out there to handle business with the best of them.

Bertuzzi, Adbelkader, Gaustad, Ericsson, Commie ...

When was the last time that Hank, Pav, or Lidstrom missed a game because someone took a run at them, mugged them, or otherwise hurt them? I object to the idea that we should change our already good lineup around in order to protect against some hypothetical problem which never actually happens, even when we don't have an enforcer. Especially when we've got real problems, like the inability of our second line to produce/play defense when facing tougher matchups on the road. Fix that problem via trade, not this mythical "protect the stars from muggings" b.s. which I'm fairly sure is just used as an excuse to bring in a fighter because some people have a preference for that type of hockey.

Edited by kipwinger

Who, exactly, was our enforcer in 08? McCarty was little more than a nostalgic guest cameo, and even if he wasn't I don't think anybody playing against the Wings were exactly quaking in their skates at the prospect of getting into a fight with him.

I don't really get the point of an enforcer in the first place, honestly. Why would fighting make someone think twice about cheap-shotting one of our top-six guys but not getting decked against the boards by Kronwall? Either way you make the guy hurt and someone like Kron is a lot more useful in other areas of the game.

Edited by _Kabrok_

Now, I don't like seeing NHL teams fail on Long Island either, but he acts as if Canada invented and trademarked hockey, and nobody else can even think about liking it, or its copyright infringement.

He does act rather self-entitled about it but Canada DID invent hockey...

To be fair, besides the two best players on that team, they are just about all Canadians.

He does act rather self-entitled about it but Canada DID invent hockey...

Ice Hockey was originated in Canada, but not by Canadians. It was by British troops stationed in Canada who played a variation of their field hockey.

To be fair, besides the two best players on that team, they are just about all Canadians.

Ice Hockey was originated in Canada, but not by Canadians. It was by British troops stationed in Canada who played a variation of their field hockey.

Yeah but Cherry has never hated America or Americans. Everyone rips on him here but noone has ever memtioned how he did a piece on Abdelkader a couple weeks ago blocking a shot, being hurt and than trying to block another one. He gives Americans plenty of credit all the time. People just dont notice that because after doing that, he'll call the wings soft. Which to be honest they are a pretty soft team, one huge hitter in Kronwall, a couple solid ones with Stuart and Abdelkader, Helm is good for a big one but not consistently at all and ABdelkader seems like the only somewhat willing fighter that plays.

I dont know why people care so much that Cherry points it out. The wings are still a very elite team, but they are fairly soft compared to most teams and definitely are in the bottom 6 or so

I used to love Grapes. But he's an old windbag who keeps taking shots at Detroit for no reason. Babcock and Holland have there way, oh ya, the way that WINS. For him to call out Babs, a guy who's won a cup, a gold medal for our country that Don is so proud of, a world championship for that country and a world junior medal makes me sick. Shut your damn mouth Don, that win at the 2010 games is reason enough that Babs is a true Canadian coach and for Don to s*** talk all Detroit does and all the class they build in there organization is a joke. We had a grittier team in 2008, and Don didn't acknowledge that. He never talked about Downey like he talks about Orr, he never mentioned Drake as a catalyst like he did with Mark ******* Recchi last year for the Bruins. He's a fool, as a Canadian, and a damn proud one at that, to hear Don spout off about one of the best Canadian coaches and GMs in the past 10s really pisses me off.

The problem with Cherry is that people still watch him. More and more people are turning on him and his 1970's views, but they continue to give him high ratings.

Honestly, I haven't watched Don in about 10 years.

The problem with Cherry is that people still watch him. More and more people are turning on him and his 1970's views, but they continue to give him high ratings.

Honestly, I haven't watched Don in about 10 years.

He's good for a laugh I guess. Like any reality TV show or something.

Too bad, indeed. I have tried reasonable discourse, multiple times on this board. All it gets me is hyperbole thrown back, strawmen, and outright personal attacks. So, I fall back on humor.

For #1 Fan, I'll tell you one thing: if Boston ends up not making Shawn Thornton an offer for next year, I REALLY hope the Wings are waiting outside his apartment to get a deal done. He would be perfect for the Winged Wheel. Holland may even go for it because if I recall correctly, Thornton turns 35 this year and we could call it "veteran leadership".

This your first day on the internet?

I used to love Grapes. But he's an old windbag who keeps taking shots at Detroit for no reason. Babcock and Holland have there way, oh ya, the way that WINS. For him to call out Babs, a guy who's won a cup, a gold medal for our country that Don is so proud of, a world championship for that country and a world junior medal makes me sick. Shut your damn mouth Don, that win at the 2010 games is reason enough that Babs is a true Canadian coach and for Don to s*** talk all Detroit does and all the class they build in there organization is a joke. We had a grittier team in 2008, and Don didn't acknowledge that. He never talked about Downey like he talks about Orr, he never mentioned Drake as a catalyst like he did with Mark ******* Recchi last year for the Bruins. He's a fool, as a Canadian, and a damn proud one at that, to hear Don spout off about one of the best Canadian coaches and GMs in the past 10s really pisses me off.

Actually he did give that 2008 team credit just this season lol

I get the Cherry hate for the s*** he says, but at least know the facts

Actually he did give that 2008 team credit just this season lol

I get the Cherry hate for the s*** he says, but at least know the facts

Of course the only few times I tune in he rips Detroit, and the one time he gives them credit I miss it. Figures, he can still suck it :hehe: